User Tag List

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast
    Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From a far more reliable source than Wikipedia. You do realize that Wikipedia is a compilation of inputs that may or may not be independently verified, right?

https://garage.eastwood.com/eastwood...ow-much-paint/

Far less than three gallons of top coat and 2-3 gallons of clear.

Here are some rules of thumb:

Small Cars – Miata, Minis, Model A roadsters and the like typically take about two quarts of single stage paint to apply enough coats to cover them, plus the reducers and hardeners.

Medium to Full-Size Cars – Your typical muscle car, modern sedan, or full-size car usually will use most of a gallon of single-stage paint. Usually it is best to buy a gallon kit and have extra than to try to save a little and buy three quarts. If you’re spraying base coat/clear coat, it may only take 2-3 quarts of base coat to cover completely.

Trucks and Vans – Obviously, these are bigger and you will need more paint. Buy at least a gallon plus an extra quart of paint for regular sized trucks and two extra quarts for vans, full-sized SUVs and crew cab trucks. Don’t forget, you have to paint inside the bed too. If spraying base coat/clear coat, a gallon of color may be enough but buy more than a gallon of clear.

Clear Coat – Always buy a full gallon kit of clear and mix as needed. You can always use leftover paint that has not been mixed with activator for spot repairs or small projects.
    Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
    2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
    2019 Grand Design Reflection 367BHS

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AnnieOakleyM107 View Post
    So here is my FBP vs. not question. . . . how does the FBP impact the UVW, GVWR, and more importantly, CCC weight ratings? We have decided what model we want, and we will be full timing. There are both options available on the dealer lots right now, but I haven't been able to get a definitive answer on the weight question. If having full body paint takes the place of 1000 or 1500 pounds of usable cargo carrying capacity, then, no, we won't be doing that. How much does paint weigh, anyway? Does anybody have weight sheets on a FBP model - any model - and a weight sheet on the exact same model without the FBP, that otherwise has the same options? Dry weights on both? I have a 2019 F350 Crew Cab Dually 4x4 Lariat with a 4.10 Rear End with a 25k B&W companion hitch (because hauling cattle takes a little bit of muscle) but full-timing in a fifth wheel is going to require a little more thought on the weight than running Angus Critters to market . . . Thanks for any input anyone might have - Annie
    We are looking at a 376TH. I had also read at some point on my research travels that to add fbp to a grand design rv requires structural changes to support the weight difference. I do not know how accurate that statment is but it supposedly came from somebody at GDRV. I was trying to avoid having to go back and make the rounds of the dealerships again, but it looks like that is where I am headed anyway. Thanks!

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
    O.k., I get it guys - I will go ask my questions elsewhere. I will say that Ya'll are about as helpful as most of the sales people I have dealt with in the past few months who didn't know their backsides from a hole in the ground . . . Have a great day guys.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
    I'm not sure what was said that lead to your comment. You asked how the weight of the full body paint affected CCC and we did our best to answer your question. While there wasn't an exact number, the consensus is the added weight is insignificant. How was that not being helpful? I won't even address your backside comment.

John
    2018 Silverado LTZ 3500HD CC LB 4X4 DRW Duramax/Allison
    2019 Momentum 381M w/Full Body Paint
    2016 Can Am Spyder F3 Limited Special Series
    2017 Can Am Outlander 1000 XT-P
    2016 Wrangler Hard Rock Unlimited
    1997 Bayliner Capri 1950 affectionately named Skinnydipper
    MSgt, USAF (Ret)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LV Naturist View Post
    I'm not sure what was said that lead to your comment. You asked how the weight of the full body paint affected CCC and we did our best to answer your question. While there wasn't an exact number, the consensus is the added weight is insignificant. How was that not being helpful? I won't even address your backside comment.

John
    John I don't remember my exact source but it was someone from Grand Design a couple years ago who told me the FBP added 2-300#. That was for a mid length Solitude. Since a proper paint job has a few primer coats applied with sanding in between, same for base, and Megan from GD said 3 coats of clear, I can accept that figure. Best source to answer the question is if someone near a large dealer had models on the lot with and without paint could go look at the shipping weight of the 2 trailers, that difference between the 2 would answer the question. That also assume the rest of the equipment is the same. Chances are the painted unit will be loaded. But I've looked at several on lots and dozens online, Momentum 351M, and most are ordered very similar.

Reference the comment about comments, some are thin skinned and internet postings don't show teasings well. This is a tame crowd, he/she should look at some Harley Davidson forums, rough to say the least.
    Last edited by chunker; 02-06-2020 at 03:44 AM.
    2020 Ram Laramie 3500 DRW
    Solitude 320X sold
    2020 Raptor 356
    2012 Primetime Crusader 355BHQ (GF's)

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am about to lose the brick and mortar and go full time as well and was hoping to get this question answered. I recently discovered that the dual pane windows are 800#s on the 375RES so we will not be going that route.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Krousefamily View Post
    I am about to lose the brick and mortar and go full time as well and was hoping to get this question answered. I recently discovered that the dual pane windows are 800#s on the 375RES so we will not be going that route.
    Not sure where you got that 800# weight for dual pane windows but from my previous research it's no where near that much. My current Keystone Raptor 356 which is similar to the Momentum 351 in length, weight and features, has the full body paint, dual pane windows, full residential queen bed (means 2 night stands) and my actual scaled weight when I picked it up was actually LESS that what Keystone published as a UVW. UVW is the "typical weight" of an ordered units as equipped by typical ordering. IOW no paint or window upgrade. Also my scaled weight included slide awnings, 2 batteries, full propane and maybe 20g of water.
    2020 Ram Laramie 3500 DRW
    Solitude 320X sold
    2020 Raptor 356
    2012 Primetime Crusader 355BHQ (GF's)

Mentioned
    189 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm with @chunker - dual pane windows came to about 300 lbs. on our Solitude 310GK-R and it has lots of big glass. Having spent 4-1/2 years full-time in a Reflection without DPWs, we wouldn't be without them again.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll make it a third. All of my previous trailers have been single pane windows. Burned through a lot of propane when it was colder and the AC ran Skagit almost full time when we had it.

In our Reflection 320MKS we ordered it with dual pane windows, actually on the advice of @Second Chance via other threads. We've used the coach for almost 15 days, and have only gone through 1 30lbs bottle of propane, that included running the heater at night, using the cooktop and oven, and running the refer. We also noticed that it was much quieter inside. Yes, it added weight, but from my perspective it is worth it.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk
    Mark & Mary. Full-timing across the USA (and Canada)!
    Current Coach: 2021 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    Current Rig: 2019 Ford F350 SD Crew Cab, w/8' box, Lariat, SRW, 6.7l Diesel

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We were just told by GD while at the plant that the FBP added around 300#- this was on the 376THS. I know for certain there is not structural change on the unit for painted or non painted units.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's good news to hear about the dual pane. I was on the fence about it but am pretty convinced now. I did just hear back from a GD Inside Sales rep and he stated the following weights on a 375RES which are more closely aligned with all the data on this forum. Although the # on the paint stated by RB4238ID sounds more like what I was expecting.

"Here is the weight of a unit with the same options (including 8k axles) not including paint that came off our production line: (UVW) 15,364 lbs. (Hitch Weight) 3,482 lbs."

Dual Pane Windows: 150 lbs.
    Full Body Paint: 30-50 lbs.
    3rd A/C: 85 lbs.
    Generator: 280 lbs.
    Slide out Awnings: 14 – 18 lbs. each
    Solar Package: Jaboni 300W solar panel 50 lbs

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Although the # on the paint stated by RB4238ID sounds more like what I was expecting.

Full Body Paint: 30-50 lbs.
    Just for curiosity and consistency I may have to reach out to GD again and see what they say. I had heard it debated in another thread / group so was intentional on getting an answer while I was at their office just a few weeks ago.

I just re-read this whole thread really curious if the OP decided to order FBP and the 395.

Also - if in the future anybody ordering FBP you can ask them to remove the door and baggage handles for paint.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast