User Tag List

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glampers View Post
    On my momentum, 2019 394M, the hardware was installed before the paint. They just taped everything before paint. I can assure you this is the case as I have replaced every incandescent marker light, replaced the front door window and door locks. It’s my understanding that this is the process on all FBP within the grand design line.
    Very interesting!

When we ordered our 2019 Solitude, we were told the following:
    - RV is built with the exception of external hardware (awnings, lights, latches, etc)
    - RV goes to PDI
    - RV goes to paint
    - RV come back from paint, external hardware is installed
    - RV goes through second PDI
    - RV shipped

The only masking I noticed on our 2019 was around the roof. I'm not saying other items weren't masked, I just didn't notice it so they must have done a good job. When we ordered our 2020 Solitude, we were told the same thing. Both times this information came from Grand Design staff, not the dealer.

I also learned a couple days ago from a Grand Design employee who talked directly with the painter they use that there are three layers of clear coat applied.
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The awning & ladder (and I think door grab bars) are added afterwards, that I agree with.

I was surprised that they masked the lights, door latches and trim pieces.

Lucky for me, I was able to find exact replacement sized led marker lights.

Overall, I like the fbp and would do it again.

////Chile.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    SW of ATL
    2018 F350 CC DRW
    2019 Momentum 394M

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Headin Out 2 View Post
    Buying a new Momentum, at the moment we are going with 395M but could change. For current owners with and without, full body paint or no, good/bad or pro/con opinions are MOST welcome. Trying to decide if the $11K price is worth it. Plan on this being THE final, and will be full time for a couple of years. F350 DRW is the tow vehicle.

Thanks in advance,

Rich
    We absolutely LOVE the option, can say enough great things about it!! 381M with 2019 F450Attachment 24635Attachment 24635Attachment 24633
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 58552052654__781379EA-365A-4AF4-A7A3-6D0029CEBE79.jpg   IMG_1560.jpg  
    Last edited by tgoranson; 01-29-2020 at 02:45 PM.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Being in RV sales, I've ordered many GD with FBP. Please keep in mind that it will add approx 30 days to the completion date. Also, this paint does not harden like automotive paint, it stays slightly flexible,,,as it should since you're pulling an earthquake down the road. Since it does not completely harden, it's susceptible to scratches from abrasive washing utensils. It's definitely beautiful and you'll be the talk of the site. You can even get it to somewhat match the color of your tow vehicle for an additional cost (ask your dealer).
    Scott M. Barlag
    Burns Harbor, IN

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I prefer the full body paint (FBP). In my opinion there is less fading, less maintenance, and it looks expensive because it is. Unfortunately and again in my opinion, compared to a non FBP, any damage could cost more to paint, more to match paint, make seamless lines, and if you scratch it a little or a lot it will stand out and you have to make up a good excuse of how it happened. When and if I ever scratch it, I will blame Bigfoot on the taller ones and Aliens on the lower ones. Let's not forget your truck has to match the trailer and if you get another trailer for whatever reason, you will start all over to make it all look good going down the road. I have not seen to many FBP trailers like mine so late at night I can find it easier. So it comes down to looking cool or using that money on needless things like food and gas.
    Rob
    2018 RAM 3500 Diesel w/compound turbos AISIN Dually CC 4wd LB
    2018 Solitude 374thr w/full body painta
    2015 KTM 500 exc

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I took off the marker lights on my 2020 395M with FBP when I was installing furrion observation cameras and it was clear that those were installed after paint and not masked.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I purchased my new 2020 Momentum 349M, full body paint was a high priority!

At that time, I was selling a Dutchman Voltage I purchased new in 2013 and the front decal was already faded to nearly white on top and cracked throughout (picture below). Most of the side graphics were in better shape due to less direct sunlight but they were also starting to crack. You could not purchase replacement graphics from the dealer so I ordered a new cap graphic from a Canadian company that produced them in an automotive vinyl (better quality). I spent an entire day heating, scraping, and cleaning the old graphics from the cap. While the end result turned out well and I believe helped the trailer sell within 24 hours of being listed in RV Trader, it was not something I ever want to do again.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	VoltageFaded.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	95.8 KB 
ID:	24639Click image for larger version. 

Name:	VoltageCleaned.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	84.6 KB 
ID:	24640Click image for larger version. 

Name:	VoltageNewDecal.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	92.5 KB 
ID:	24641

It's really amazing how faded/peeling graphics can degrade the look of your RV. If you plan on keeping the trailer more than 5 years, I would recommend it.

2020 Grand Design Momentum 349M, MORryde 8K IS, Kodiak Disc Brakes, Goodyear G114 17.5" Tires, 1280W Solar w/600AH Battle Born Batteries
    2019 Ford F350 Platinum
    2014 Polaris UTV
    USAF Retired

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LV Naturist View Post
    @bertschb said exactly what I was going to say. FBP is not maintenance free, we have ours waxed twice a year so it should last. The cheapskates will try to rationalize not getting it because they say it does nothing to enhance resale value, I'd have to disagree. It makes the unit look sharp and that has to be a good thing for resale. When walking around campgrounds you'll notice the RV's with FBP seem to stand out from the crowd. Besides, we bought it because we wanted it. Like my DW says, we weren't going to settle.

No regrets!

John
    "Cheapskates? Really? Why would you characterize those that don't have full body paint as "cheapskates".
    Last edited by SF-SGM; 01-29-2020 at 08:07 PM.
    Retired SF Sergeant Major
    Retired Sheriff's detective

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just ordered my 2020 momentum 349M and I ordered it from the factory with no graphics At all. I wasn’t 100% sure how it would look but it showed up 4 weeks ago and we absolutely love it! So does very one that sees it. Keep in mind the M class’s have a better “gel coat” than some of the other models and there is plenty of black accents too. Also the front end cap does come painted from the factory. They did also charge me $500 for decal/graphic “delete” when I ordered the unit because it supposedly disrupts the line lol here are some photos. Let me know your thoughts. I almost did fbp but went this route instead and I’m super happy so far. I also had the entire exterior ceramic pro coated. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1E8B0F79-BEC9-4DBC-B3A9-AA8AC7A2B7FC.jpeg 
Views:	32 
Size:	97.1 KB 
ID:	24642

Name:	B4066928-C4AF-440F-B3C8-0B34CDDA6DE7.jpeg 
Views:	44 
Size:	463.3 KB 
ID:	24643

Name:	1BC26390-CD41-4176-BA8E-19F6E172FC9D.jpeg 
Views:	46 
Size:	430.9 KB 
ID:	24644

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Rich,

That was one of our 'must haves'. We are new to RVing. We are former houseboat owners (85x18 Sumerset). We have been boating for 20+ years and have seen the damage sun can do to the exterior of a boat. The full body paint really makes the unit look impressive. Wax it once per year (we store ours at a climate controlled indoor storage facility). Most of the ones we see - even 10 year old ones- look great! Good luck!
    Red&Black
    2020 Solitude 373 FL-R
    2020 GMC 3500 Denali SRW

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast