User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

RV Antifreeze Test - Super Tech vs Tractor Supply Brand

Put small amount of Super Tech RV antifreeze from Walmart in cup and covered it and put in freezer. It froze solid. I have been using this brand for years. Maybe I bought a bad batch.
    Repeated test with RV antifreeze from Tractor Supply and it was semi frozen with still some liquid.
    I returned all Super Tech I had on hand to Walmart and bought more from Tractor Supply. Hate to spend a lot of money on RV antifreeze because I winterize several times a year. Live in North GA and camp in winter in Florida. Don't like air blow out method due to once having water pump housing crack due to small amount of water freezing inside pump.

Had problem last year with Super Tech high mileage motor oil from Walmart; 5W30 High Mileage oil it was first time I ever used it; the oil light would flicker in summer with AC on while idling in my old Honda Accord(my dog car with dog hair everywhere). Drained oil and replaced with what I had been using Castroil 5W30 high mileage oil and light stopped flickering.

I will never buy the Super Tech brand products again.

Mentioned
    240 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    RV antifreeze can freeze, no doubt about it.

The big thing is that it won't expand like water does. Expanding is what causes damage.

The cheap stuff can contain alcohol also, which deteriorates rubber seals and gaskets.
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2011 RAM 3500 SRW Outdoorsman Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins--TWEAKED!
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well - thanks, Steve......I was not aware of this and apparently not raised before on this forum as I recall.

Here's a line from the Splash RV antifreeze site FAQ section: https://www.splashwash.com/faqs

"Splash RV antifreeze is designed to provide burst protection to temperatures of -50°F, -75°F or -100°F. The -50°F and -75°F solution will freeze between +20°F and +16°F. The -100°F solution will freeze at approximately -20°F. Frozen or slushy antifreeze still provides burst protection."

Dan
    Dan & Carol
    2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
    2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD
    2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckskin View Post
    Put small amount of Super Tech RV antifreeze from Walmart in cup and covered it and put in freezer. It froze solid. I have been using this brand for years. Maybe I bought a bad batch.
    Just recently in a forum discussion about Diesel Exhaust Fluid I read that people have been known to buy the fluid from Walmart (where it costs less than $10 per jug) and use it before refilling the jug with water and returning it to Walmart. Some people are pretty hard up I guess.

Could similar people be hard-up enough to return jugs of antifreeze they've refilled with water and drops of food coloring?

We live in interesting times.
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by boyscout View Post
    Just recently in a forum discussion about Diesel Exhaust Fluid I read that people have been known to buy the fluid from Walmart (where it costs less than $10 per jug) and use it before refilling the jug with water and returning it to Walmart. Some people are pretty hard up I guess.

Could similar people be hard-up enough to return jugs of antifreeze they've refilled with water and drops of food coloring?

Yes - that DEF Walmart thing has been going around for sometime on this forum as well. One can never be too cautious on checking packaging on things.

Relative to the RV antifreeze, the various brands I have used for many years all have a sealed "silver colored/plastic" seal to remove or puncture after removing the plastic cap. Certainly possible for someone with a little more devious talent to re-attached something similar but probability is pretty remote.

Mark - now you got me thinking about what that less than stellar performing team member(s) in the restaurant kitchen may be doing to the food !! Thank god there have never been any horror stories about this !

Dan
    Dan & Carol
    2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
    2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD
    2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do it a bit differently because I don't like antifreeze standing in the water lines. I do use the cheap RV antifreeze because of this. After draining, I start with an air purge to flush the lines of standing water. This can take some time and maybe several attempts. Then I add antifreeze but only to flush the lines of any water that may be trapped in low lying places or can't be pushed out. Once more with air, purging to the faucets and toilet so that all the antifreeze ends up in the traps or tanks. Last I'll open the drains and allow anything else remaining to drain out. YMMV
    Last edited by Wicked ace; 01-24-2020 at 11:52 AM.
    2018 F150 XLT 301a, Screw, 4x4, HDPP, Max tow, Andersen Ultimate w/ Curt Double Lock hitch.
    2019 Grand Design Reflection 150 series 260RD.... SOLD!!!!.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by boyscout View Post

They had aluminum foil seal, would be hard for someone to replace foil seals.

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It really bothers me that someone would potentially do something like that. I mean come on, the stuff costs less that $3.00 a gallon, and at most you use around 4 gallons for the bigger rigs. I used less than 2 gallons for mine. I would not want to come across someone who would do that...
    Bob (retired) & Vicki
    Scuba Diver
    US ARMY Vet (Go Cav!)
    2019 Reflection 31MB
    2019 Chevy 2500HD LT Crew Cab Gasser

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't really see that stupidity happening. Would the effort involved in putting back water, getting a reasonably close tint, and then taking it back (and the potential felony charge) be worth the effort for $2.50? I bought 2 gallons the other day. I use about 1/2 gallon to displace the water in my "macerator" and dirty water pump.
    Jerry & Kelly Powell
    Zebulon, NC
    2020 Solitude 390RK-R :target:

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckskin View Post
    If you contacted the company and asked them about it they would tell you have used the product in a way it was not intended to be used. LOL
    2019 Reflection 312BHTS TT Sold

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast