User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rubber Mats for use in Storage Compartment Floor?

Anyone place rubber mats in their external storage bay(s) to protect the floor and prevent items from sliding around? If so, what did you use and where did you get it?

Thanks.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MJMCCAND View Post
    Anyone place rubber mats in their external storage bay(s) to protect the floor and prevent items from sliding around? If so, what did you use and where did you get it? Thanks.
    The thin vinyl material (if that's what it is) that GD puts on the basement floor is certainly not resistant to tears.

I consider it sometimes as I walk into the local Tractor Supply Center, where they have large black horse mats stacked near the front door. Still in procrastination mode on the project, but they would do the trick.
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have an exercise mat from Big 5 in my basement. It's about 3 inches short in length, but was able to use what I cut off (around the wet bay) to piece it in. It is held down by double sided tape. Works well, is a black rubber type material in a diamond plate type pattern, was about $20.
    Last edited by Gronk1; 01-24-2020 at 04:49 PM.
    Paul, Sue & Wonder Dog Zane
    '18 Solitude 310 GK
    "15 F-350 6.7, DRW, CC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bought mats at Home Depot. I think they were 4x6 and cut to fit if needed. Worked out great. They have holes in them also. Very heavy duty.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bought a rubber flooring mat from Amazon. Numerous sizes available. For my pass thru I bought it long enough to cut to size and was able to remove the screws on the lip of the plastic tub on each end of the pass thru and tuck it under the lip and replace the screws. This way nothing can catch on it when loading something into the bay. These mats do add a little weight. They have a very good grip. Almost to much grip as it can be harder to slide heavier things in and out like my grill. I have never had anything slide around when traveling.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0045.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	100.9 KB 
ID:	24511
    Last edited by HighFive; 01-25-2020 at 08:26 AM.
    2019 303RLS Reflection 5th Wheel
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat 4X4 CC/SB/SRW 6.7L Diesel
    B&W Companion Slider Hitch

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Got too much stuff in our basement for anything to move.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by boyscout View Post
    The thin vinyl material (if that's what it is) that GD puts on the basement floor is certainly not resistant to tears.

I consider it sometimes as I walk into the local Tractor Supply Center, where they have large black horse mats stacked near the front door. Still in procrastination mode on the project, but they would do the trick.
    Mark
    Those large black horse mats way a lot. It will take 2 men and a boy to haul 1 out to your truck. I had one under the pickup camper. Since the camper is gone, I cut up part of the mat into 10" squares to put under the plastic leveling pads. The rubber protects the pads frim getting damaged by the gravel or pavement.

When I put our Green Mt Grill (Davy Crockett) in the pass-thru storage; I put a thick old towel where I want the grill and hang some over the edge to protect it too. The towel helps slide the grill into place. I then secure the grill into place with a loop of double stick Velcro, looped around the handle and a C clamp that is clamped onto the rafters. KEN
    Backpacker and tent camper all my life, including BSA as a kid and adult.
    Motorcycle trips across the USA with a tent - 1978 to Present.
    02-10-2005 - 2002 F350 SWD PSD and 2003 Citation 10'8S mostly for Crater Lake Ski Patrol.
    10-29-2015 - 2016 Grand Design 380TH. It's HUGE compared to a camper.
    10-19-2018 - traded truck for a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie CC 4 X 4 Long Box.
    03-16-2019 - Traded Momentum for a New 2018 374TH-R Solitude
    FULL TIME RV'er Nov 2021

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WhittleBurner View Post
    Got too much stuff in our basement for anything to move.
    Same here.

2017 Reflection 26RL "Mili"
    2016 Ford F250 Extended Cab Gas Engine "Buck" (the truck)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In my front "garage" area of the 310GK fifth wheel, I used the Harbor Freight foam mat, the one that is gray with the diamond plate look. For the "basement" pass-thru area I bought some of the bulk low cut pile carpet from Home Depot and cut it to fit. Nothing moves around but I also use the black storage bins with the yellow lids to store the electrical, water, sewer, wheel chokes, and like items usually by category. The bins make everything lock together in the basement - like a game of Tetris.
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    2021 RAM 3500 MegaCab SWD Diesel 4x4
    SOLD --> 2020 Solitude 310GK

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I purchased a 1/4" exercise equipment mat from Dick's (36" x 78" for $35+tax) and cut it to fit the pass-through storage. I made a layout pattern by taking width measurements at 6" intervals across the length of the compartment. At one end the width is 38" so I had to make a small piece to fit, but I had some excess material since the length of the storage is 72". I used Gorilla tape on the seam. Turned out pretty nice and is much lighter than any of the stall mats I found at Tractor Supply.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MAt.JPG 
Views:	28 
Size:	95.5 KB 
ID:	24599

I like the idea of using the existing screws to anchor down - I may do that later....

Thanks all.
    Last edited by MJMCCAND; 01-27-2020 at 12:47 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast