User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ignore the diagram above, it is not correct. I debated deleting it and replacing, but I thought that my error in sketching it would be beneficial in illustrating how to NOT connect this system. Note to self, making sketches at midnight with Jim and Jack in the room is not advisable.

So below is the correct way to do this connection. You have to isolate the converter from the inverter as I indicated above. From the diagram you can see that the converter is only energized when either the shore power or generators are connected. When the inverter is connected, the converter is isolated. Please note that you have to install a separate breaker panel for the converter, removing it from the main panel. The wire to the converter breaker panel needs to be of the correct gauge as the wires are on either a 30 amp or 50 amp service. So you need to use 8AWG or 6 AWG wire to the converter subpanel. If you don't know what this means, then hire somebody who does. Beyond the converter subpanel, you can run 14AWG to the converter with a 15 amp breaker in the subpanel.

DAN

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Transfer Switch Correct.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	112.5 KB 
ID:	24538
    2016 Reflection 323BHS
    2006 5.9L Ram Megacab

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Note to self, making sketches at midnight with Jim and Jack in the room is not advisable.

Or Ambien... No telling what you will post then
    Jerry & Kelly Powell
    Zebulon, NC
    2020 Solitude 390RK-R :target:

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The transfer switch is selecting between the two shore power inlets. It is basically a standard onboard generator installation except that there is a plug there that I can use in different ways. As long as the switch works correctly, I could just leave the generator plugged in all the time.

My original post was more of a concern than a question. These switches are intended as safety devices, but by the way this one is built, I think it is a false sense of security. I did find a UL listing and an ANSI compliance on it but no NEC compliance, so at first glance it looks like it cannot be installed in the sticks and bricks.

And I think that Jim and Jack are a great help with collaboration in planning the next project. The problem is when I go to start working on said project and they are nowhere to be found. I say to myself, "They want me to build what?!"

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoElkhounds View Post
    Ignore the diagram above, it is not correct. I debated deleting it and replacing, but I thought that my error in sketching it would be beneficial in illustrating how to NOT connect this system. Note to self, making sketches at midnight with Jim and Jack in the room is not advisable.

So below is the correct way to do this connection. You have to isolate the converter from the inverter as I indicated above. From the diagram you can see that the converter is only energized when either the shore power or generators are connected. When the inverter is connected, the converter is isolated. Please note that you have to install a separate breaker panel for the converter, removing it from the main panel. The wire to the converter breaker panel needs to be of the correct gauge as the wires are on either a 30 amp or 50 amp service. So you need to use 8AWG or 6 AWG wire to the converter subpanel. If you don't know what this means, then hire somebody who does. Beyond the converter subpanel, you can run 14AWG to the converter with a 15 amp breaker in the subpanel.

DAN

arent you switching 240 volt shore power with a 110volt generator without showing the connections to prevent only one side being energized from the generator.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoElkhounds View Post

DAN

arent you switching 240 volt shore power with a 110volt generator without showing the connections to prevent only one side of the 240 volt line being energized from the generator.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bshgto View Post
    arent you switching 240 volt shore power with a 110volt generator without showing the connections to prevent only one side of the 240 volt line being energized from the generator.
    Diagram does not show it, but the switch is essentially wired to feed both legs from the one side of the 120/240V feed. Similar to using the 30Amp adapter to feed the 50 amp trailer. I have never used my 50 amp cord, never have had a need as we pretty much exclusively dry camp. When we do hook up, our loads normally do not require a 50 amp service. I use a 30 amp cable with an adapter. My 50 amp cord is stored away in the garage, never gets used.

Good clarification, thanks for highlighting this important point.

DAN
    2016 Reflection 323BHS
    2006 5.9L Ram Megacab

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12