User Tag List

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Solitude 3350RL MORryde HD Shackle Install

I finished the install on the right side. This is the absolute last one of these I do. I know I said that when I did our Imagine, but this is the last.

Recall I said that our Solitude has wet bolts everywhere but the leaf spring end hangers and that some of the wet bolts used elsewhere would not take grease easily including the Equa-Flex center wet bolt. Well I took care of all that. I can also report that the leaf spring rear and forward end hangers, without wet bolts, are just brass bushings installed dry. The rear and forward hanger bushings were bad already, wore through and had stress cracks running the length of the bushings and our unit probable only has 3000-3500 miles on it.

The leaf spring end bushings were not broken as you see in the pic, that happened as I tried to remove them from the spring eye, they were very thin. You can see how I pressed in the new bushings. They were very tight. You can also see how I used my port-a-power to keep the mid-suspension from moving so as I raised the axle and the spring eye back into the hanger, the spring eye went right back up and was still centered with the hanger hole so it was easy to insert the new wet bolt. I also used the "C" clamp to pull the hanger sides back together before torquing the nuts to 40 ft lbs. All new wet bolts and bushings were pre-greased and were marked on the heads where the grease hole was so they could be clocked to the 3 or 9 o'clock position. After I was done with the installation I greased all the zerks again.

Now the Equa-flex bushings were still good so I reused them, however the two lower positions where the spring shackles bolt on, are two half brass bushings. A half inch bushing in the front and a half inch bushing on the rear of the equal-flex with a void (no bushing) in the middle. There isn't a complete bushing running the width of the two lower equa-flex mountings. The upper bushing that mounts to the middle hanger is a complete bushing running the complete width of the equa-flex. The center mounts were the ones you specifically have to get the wet bolts installed at 3 or 9 or they will not take grease without easing the suspension.

I also installed the balancing plates at the same time and checked the torque on the leaf spring axle mounts, they were all at 65 ft lbs.
    I used the rear and front stabilizing jacks also to help lift the RV. The S-class jacks are electric. With the level up 6 point system you can not control the mid stabilizing jacks independently.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_2259.jpg   IMG_2255.jpg   IMG_2257.jpg   IMG_2254.jpg   IMG_2252.jpg  

Last edited by Steven@147; 01-24-2020 at 02:29 PM.
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bronze instead of brass.
    When installing the new wet bolts (or old wet bolts with new nuts) it is important to install them correctly, the knurled end next to the bolt head are like teeth that grips the hanger. The reason for the knurled end I think is two fold. One - is so you don't need to hold a wrench on the bolt head to properly torque the nut to 40 ft lbs. Two - It keeps the bolt from rotating in the hanger and bushing and closing off the shaft grease hole from turning out of the 3 or 9 position.

I recommend when you put the new wet bolt in, you get the grease hole clocked to the 3 or 9 position, then using a deep socket over the grease zerk fitting, smack it with a hammer to drive the knurles into the hanger. You could use sockets over the head and thread end and press the new bolt into the hanger. You want the bolt head tight up against the hanger.
    If you try to use an air impact on the nut to draw the opposite end knurles into the hanger you will most likely strip the threads on the bolt or the nut. In any case using an air impact you can not properly torque the nuts. The nuts are single use only and torque up against the shoulder of the bolt not so much the hanger, so that means the shoulder of the bolt at the thread end, must be sticking out of the hanger.

I did install the bolt heads and grease zerks inward. Yes its a pain to crawl under the RV to grease it. The theory is, and I don't want to poke at Murphy's Law, putting the zerks inward, if you have a flat tire, its less likely to knock off a zerk fitting by flying rubber. Damned if you do, damned if you don't. I put them inward but I intend to carry a creeper so I can easily roll around under the RV when on concrete or asphalt.

I have seen a few you-tube videos where they don't actually show you, or talk about having the grease hole at 3 or 9 or how they seat the new wet bolt knurled end into the hanger to keep the bolt from turning or the proper torque of the nut. I saw one video where the guy just used an air impact to draw in the bolt and tighten the nut. I don't trust a lot of installers now days, they just seem to slap it together and don't worry about the grease hole or proper torque, that is why I am doing this myself, again! I don't like crawling around on my hands and knees in my gravel drive. After getting the right side done I could barely stand up! Well today I will tackle the left side. It will be a little more involved because I'll probably have to move the propane hose line out of he way to jack up the frame and place the stands.
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven@147 View Post
    I also installed the balancing plates at the same time and checked the torque on the leaf spring axle mounts, they were all at 65 ft lbs.
    Steven,
    The balancing plates, are they for the tires, like centramatics?

Thanks,

Gene
    - Gene

Kim & Gene
    2015 Reflection 317RST
    2017 Ram 3500 CC LB 4x2 6.7 CTD AISIN 3.73 DRW Auto Level Rear Air, BD3, Prodigy P3, Aux Tank

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gbkims View Post
    Steven,
    The balancing plates, are they for the tires, like centramatics?

Thanks,

Gene

Gene - Yes they are the centramatics Item 300318A description 16" 8 Bolt "A" Balancer. These fit the Solitude. I ordered direct from them $226.39 (4) if your interested. There was a thread a while back discussing them.
    Last edited by Steven@147; 02-15-2020 at 06:30 PM.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven@147 View Post
    I finished the install on the right side.
    Good upgrade for suspension systems
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_2265.jpg