User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

297rsts bouncing with stabilizers down

my new trailer has much more floor bounce than my 303rls had. it's kinda annoying, but i admit i'm pretty heavy-footed when i walk.

has anyone been bothered by this to the point of doing something about it? i need some good ideas, maybe like a couple of bottle jacks to take the leaf springs out of the equation?

thanks
    2020 Reflection 297RSTS. Equalizer 1600 hitch. 2020 Chevrolet 2500 diesel short bed. Charley and Janis. Pets Zoie and Harley.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by charley patton View Post
    my new trailer has much more floor bounce than my 303rls had. it's kinda annoying, but i admit i'm pretty heavy-footed when i walk.

has anyone been bothered by this to the point of doing something about it? i need some good ideas, maybe like a couple of bottle jacks to take the leaf springs out of the equation?

thanks
    I do notice bounce in our 297RSTS as well. Not any worse or any better than our previous Rockwood. I think this is pretty standard for a trailer with only stabilizer jacks that don't take weight off of the tires. One option that I have heard can help is if you put blocks under the stabilizer jacks so that you don't have to extend them very far. I have not tried that but have been thinking about trying it rather than extending them down really far.

Rob
    Rob & Barb
    2022 Solitude 378MBS
    2022 RAM 3500 SRW HO Aisin 4x4
    Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Calbar View Post
    I do notice bounce in our 297RSTS as well. Not any worse or any better than our previous Rockwood. I think this is pretty standard for a trailer with only stabilizer jacks that don't take weight off of the tires. One option that I have heard can help is if you put blocks under the stabilizer jacks so that you don't have to extend them very far. I have not tried that but have been thinking about trying it rather than extending them down really far.

Rob
    good idea. i'll give that a whirl, full report forthcoming.....

thanks
    2020 Reflection 297RSTS. Equalizer 1600 hitch. 2020 Chevrolet 2500 diesel short bed. Charley and Janis. Pets Zoie and Harley.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Shouldn't make any difference how far the jacks extend. If they're heavy duty enough then they should not flex. No way should you get flex from the threaded rod and the threaded adjustment.
    Only way to take bounce out is to install another set of jacks right near the axles. I would do it in front of the front axle. That way you can access them if needed when the slides are out.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by goducks14 View Post
    Shouldn't make any difference how far the jacks extend. If they're heavy duty enough then they should not flex. No way should you get flex from the threaded rod and the threaded adjustment.
    Only way to take bounce out is to install another set of jacks right near the axles. I would do it in front of the front axle. That way you can access them if needed when the slides are out.
    I have read previously that the further you extend the stabilizers the more movement you get but hadn't tried it yet. If it's on the internet it has to be true I like the idea of putting an extra set of jacks in front of the axle to reduce spring bounce from the suspension. May have to think about that as another mod.

Rob
    Rob & Barb
    2022 Solitude 378MBS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by goducks14 View Post
    janis is on her way to wallyworld to get a couple of those galvanized jack stands. i'll place them right in front of the front wheels and report on their effectiveness. in the interest of full disclosure, i found this solution on irv2 a little while ago. it might be a pretty inexpensive way to fix this issue.
    thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    problem solved.

i nailed together six 2x6 blocks 8" long. i placed a campco stackable (or screw) jack on top of the wood platform and ran the jack up as tight as i could by hand to the chassis, right in front of the forward axle. literally, all the bounce is gone. i didn't have to mess with the factory stabilizers in terms of putting them on blocks. i used the wood blocks under the screw jacks, because they only extend to 17" and the chassis is 24" off the ground.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Awesome. Glad it worked out.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    problem solved.

i nailed together six 2x6 blocks 8" long. i placed a campco stackable (or screw) jack on top of the wood platform and ran the jack up as tight as i could by hand to the chassis, right in front of the forward axle. literally, all the bounce is gone. i didn't have to mess with the factory stabilizers in terms of putting them on blocks. i used the wood blocks under the screw jacks, because they only extend to 17" and the chassis is 24" off the ground.
    That is great news Charley. Now I know what I need to do to stop the bouncing on mine. Thanks.
    Rob
    Rob & Barb
    2022 Solitude 378MBS

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thanks

We use wood blocks under the jacks so they are not extended as much. We also use “X” chocks between the wheels on both sides.
    https://www.amazon.com/X-Chock-Wheel...s%2C183&sr=8-4
    These seem to help a lot. I will tighten them up a little more a few hours after we set up, after the tires have cooled down.

Mark
    Mark & Megan & Levi (our floppy eared four legged furry friend)
    2019 Reflection 303RLS
    2019 Chevy Silverado 3500HD Duramax
    B & W Companion

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast