User Tag List

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Need Help Troubleshooting TV/Cable Connection

Our TV has worked just fine with the antenna and local channels and in RV Parks with cable until the RV park we just arrived in. To access cable at this park they provide a Comcast box, remote and 3' coax cable to connect between the incoming cable and the TV. Here are the steps I have taken:
    1) Per instructions I set the TV to Ch3. and as always turn off the antenna.
    2) Within the AV cabinet I connected the cable coming in from the wet bay TV connections to the Comcast box and then using the coax cable provided I connected between the Comcast box and the tv connection within the AV cabinet and got no service.
    3) I then connected directly to the back of the TV and received a message it was "searching for service" and then indicated "connection was lost re-check connections" which I did with no result.
    4) I then connected the coax cable I use to my connections in the wet bay directly to the Comcast box in and directly from the box TV out to the back of the TV, in other words completely bypassing the wet bay TV connections and received service. That is the good news, the bad news is I had to route the coax cable from the RV parks cable connection through a window which is ok for a temporary fix but I had to remove the screen and with cooler weather I do not want to leave a window open.

Bottom line I am at a loss as to why in other RV parks providing cable connections I have no problem with connecting through the wet bay cable connections and of course turning off the antenna, yet it does not work when I introduce the Comcast box. So what am I missing or not doing? Thanks.
    Regards, Bruce, Lin An, Kenji & Suki (Our two Akitas)
    2019 Solitude 310GK-R
    2015 Ram 3500 Big Horn CC, TD, Aisin Tranny, DRW

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Most likely (95% chance) the park's digital signal will not get through the antenna/cable switch in the RV (the box with the little green light that comes on when you select antenna).

Plug the park cable into your satellite input that is in your wet bay and then connect the coax the park gave you from the sat connector in you cabinet above the TV, next to the cable/antenna switch, and then connect the cable box to your TV. If the park said use channel 3 then you have to turn on the cable box, wait a bit, then on the TV menu select antenna, scan and when the scan completes choose channel 3. Or maybe you can use an HDMI output from the cable box into your TV and forget the whole 'scan' thing.

Whew..... when did the world get so complicated!!!!!
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would think to plug the park cable into your TV connector at the outside av connectors like a portable satellite dish. KEN
    Backpacker and tent camper all my life, including BSA as a kid and adult.
    Motorcycle trips across the USA with a tent - 1978 to Present.
    02-10-2005 - 2002 F350 SWD PSD and 2003 Citation 10'8S mostly for Crater Lake Ski Patrol.
    10-29-2015 - 2016 Grand Design 380TH. It's HUGE compared to a camper.
    10-19-2018 - traded truck for a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie CC 4 X 4 Long Box.
    03-16-2019 - Traded Momentum for a New 2018 374TH-R Solitude
    FULL TIME RV'er Nov 2021

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Traveldawg & orbiker you were both correct. I connected to the satellite connection in the utility/wet bay from the park cable instead of into the cable connection and then connected the Comcast box between the satellite connection in the AV cabinet and the back of the TV. Works great, so thank you both.
    Regards, Bruce, Lin An, Kenji & Suki (Our two Akitas)
    2019 Solitude 310GK-R
    2015 Ram 3500 Big Horn CC, TD, Aisin Tranny, DRW