Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

awning natural tilt (front to back) when fully extended

I posted this in a the general area as I doubt it would be specific to one model. I just picked up an imagine 3170bh and when the awning is fully extended, it tilts from back to front (with the manual adjustments loose). I was curious if this was intentional and normal?

It is a very long awning (20+ feet), and the tilt does not interfere with the doors and I have no slides on that side. It rolls out and retracts fine. I measured the struts and they are different lengths (when fully extended), which leads me to think it was intentional, or a mistake.....and that's kinda why I'm asking. I can't seem to find any reference to it on the internet, and my dealer wasn't really sure. Just curious if anyone's long awning does the same?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If it is the Carefree awning they have adjustments on each arm to change pitch from one end to another. It is a series of 6 holes with a stainless bearing. The awning will retract with no issues as long as there is no more than a three hole difference between the two arms.
    2019 Solitude 384GKR
    Stored, used at Myrtle Beach, SC
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks for the response. This one is a Dometic 9100 series (went out a looked this morning). It has a "slide" arm at the bottom of it with a tensioner knob to set a desired position, but I have that completely loose so that it goes to it max distance. I did measure all the components and the only difference between the two sides is that "slide" arm and the strut. Still begs the question if that is on purpose or a mistake.......seems like the awning should be level (as my other trailers have been), but I've never had an awning of that length.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Comfort during rain is kind of important. So I have always angled my awnings slightly so that the drainage goes the way I want it to. Just a little is enough, you get too much and you can bend things.
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Griff02 View Post
    thanks for the response. This one is a Dometic 9100 series (went out a looked this morning). It has a "slide" arm at the bottom of it with a tensioner knob to set a desired position, but I have that completely loose so that it goes to it max distance. I did measure all the components and the only difference between the two sides is that "slide" arm and the strut. Still begs the question if that is on purpose or a mistake.......seems like the awning should be level (as my other trailers have been), but I've never had an awning of that length.
    I had a Dometic (A&E) awning on a motorhome and it had similar arms. You could adjust pitch from one end to the other to allow water to drain. However, IIRC, you had to put each end back to the same setting before retracting the awning.

Recommend vigilance. If you let water collect on any of these RV awnings, you can stretch the fabric and/or collapse and bend the flimsy awning arms. The manual awnings have more adjustment and sturdier arms but these auto awnings everyone seems to be using these days are much less sturdy. Wind is also their enemy.
    2019 Solitude 384GKR
    Stored, used at Myrtle Beach, SC
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    talked with GD, and I don't think its supposed to lean like it is. I took some measurements of the adjustment arms and where those hinge on the main bracket, and its different between the two arms. Apparently, the dealer had requested a pre auth from GD to replace one of the arms while it was on their lot (guessing they probably damaged it while moving it around, or left it out and hit it or something). GD has been very responsive and helpful, but now I have to go back to the dealer and try and get this resolved.......probably won't be fun, but I'm keeping a positive outlook. Tried to add a pic so you can see what I'm describing. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200130_174709.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	101.9 KB 
ID:	24669

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    here is the difference in the arms. The first one is the rear arm, and I think it is the original correct one. The second I'm thinking is the one that may have been replaced and is 4" shorter, plus the hinge point where it connects to the main bracket is 3" lower than the arm on the back. I can't seem to find any part #'s for the arms on them, does anyone know where to find that? I have the tag with the part # off the tube but nothing on the arms. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	back adjustment arm.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	93.6 KB 
ID:	24670 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	front adjustment arm.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	84.7 KB 
ID:	24671