User Tag List

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Insulating Windows

hello out there. i have a 2150RB Imagine and heading for really cold country in Montana. I am thinking about putting something over the windows for insulating. have seen a few things on youtube and just wondering if anyone has any suggestions.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have seen several things used. Some bubble wrap, there is some kind of ceramic tint material that some people like. I have dual pane windows. But back when I had single pane windows I would take a day and use the plastic shrink wrap stuff.

There are several versions out there. It's kind of a pain to put up, but lasts the whole season and you can see out of it. You will find the double sided tape to fit in the groove of the window really well. Use a hair dryer to shrink it down.

You can use painters tape to put round the edge of your slides also. It doesn't insulate, but it stops drafts if there are any.

Get vent pillows for the vents.

I have a multi-sensor weather station, keeps track of 4 temp's, inside, outside, one in the front bay and one in the back. As you are checking to see how cold it is outside the bay sensors will let you know if you forgot to close a bay door, kind of important in really cold temps.

Put sacrificial wood or plastic blocks under your jack stands.

Get some warm fluffy slippers.
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jeff and Jen
    2016 F250 CC Lariat 4x4 6.7L, Firestone Airbags, Pullrite Superglide
    2017 Solitude 310GK, a little solar, a little lithium, disc brakes and a few suspension mods

Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Ben Franklin

Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have Reflectix cut to fit inside the frames for all the windows. It works better in the cold than the shrink-wrap stuff mentioned by @D2Reid, but can be pretty claustrophobic with all the light blocked out. My wife doesn't like the "cave" feel in the winter. The shrink-wrap stuff is also better at controlling condensation. We have the high-end 3M crystalline film on the windows - works well in the summer but doesn't do much in the winter.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My wife grew up in sunny Florida so needs her light. She tends to get SAD (seasonal affective disorder) if things are too gloomy. The dual pane windows have been a blessing for us.
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks all, I will take all of this advice and put it to use based on materials available and my DIY skills. the pillow with the shield and cardboard in a pillowcase velcro to the window frame might work the best.