User Tag List

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Saran Wrap on Front cap while traveling

Hi everyone... new to the forum but been hovering for a while.
    This site is awesome and I have learned a lot just from reading posts and advice given.

We pick up our 2020 399TH with blue/black paint next weekend. As expected, we are getting asked to purchase all the "paint" and "interior" protection options. I plan on doing the "Ceramic" coating myself and the 5 bottles @$70 each from Amazon and 2 days of my time are cheaper than the $2400.00 the dealer wants (which is actually a pretty good deal around here for a 43' RV).

This issue, Ceramic coating or not, on the front cap... bug spatter during a long drive... and getting it off without a lot of work. Has anyone ever tried applying strips of 24-inch wide Saran Wrap and peeling it of after the trip? Looks like it would take @5 strips and "maybe" some cutting for the LED light strips. Is this an obviously dumb idea or in this something that might actually work?

Anyone ever try this?

Thanks for any advice,
    Thor

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I apply a good sealant/wax about every 3-6 months which alone seems to make bug removal easier and there are good tar and bug removal products that easily dissolve those exoskeletons. As an added measure there are a couple products I am looking at that you spray and or wipe on just prior to leaving for a trip then wash off when you arrive. These products are meant to be temporary and make removal of bugs and road grime easier.
    Regards, Bruce, Lin An, Kenji & Suki (Our two Akitas)
    2019 Solitude 310GK-R
    2015 Ram 3500 Big Horn CC, TD, Aisin Tranny, DRW

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by grandseahawk View Post
    Hi everyone... new to the forum but been hovering for a while.
    This site is awesome and I have learned a lot just from reading posts and advice given.

We pick up our 2020 399TH with blue/black paint next weekend. As expected, we are getting asked to purchase all the "paint" and "interior" protection options. I plan on doing the "Ceramic" coating myself and the 5 bottles @$70 each from Amazon and 2 days of my time are cheaper than the $2400.00 the dealer wants (which is actually a pretty good deal around here for a 43' RV).

This issue, Ceramic coating or not, on the front cap... bug spatter during a long drive... and getting it off without a lot of work. Has anyone ever tried applying strips of 24-inch wide Saran Wrap and peeling it of after the trip? Looks like it would take @5 strips and "maybe" some cutting for the LED light strips. Is this an obviously dumb idea or in this something that might actually work?

Anyone ever try this?

Thanks for any advice,
    Thor
    While we've never tried this I would think it wouldn't work all that well. The wind whipping by would only need some little edge to catch and then you'd have saran wrap flapping in the wind, until it flies off directly into the guy behind you on the road.

2017 Reflection 26RL "Mili"
    2016 Ford F250 Extended Cab Gas Engine "Buck" (the truck)

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    livinthelife... LOL, that's why why my wife makes me ask others first before actually following through with my wacky ideas.

A loose end is a problem I had not thought of...

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Just wait about 6 months or so (for the new to wear off) and you won’t care about keeping the front cap clean anymore.

: )

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Resistance is Not Futile, It's Voltage Divided by Current.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I went to Alaska and we saw some tour caravans, mostly motorhomes, that had a variety of coatings on the fronts. Layers of clear plastic on headlights, parts of windshields, front painted surfaces, etc. Idea was to protect from rocks. Don't know how it worked but it looked like crap and DON'T try to drive at night because in some cases I don't think any light could get through. I live near and along the gulf coast and we have love bugs. Makes a huge mess and IF they dry can damage painted surfaces and are a real pain to remove. When I had to drive regularly from Pensacola to Louisiana weekly, gulf flying job, I tried a couple time spraying the front of the truck with Pam vegetable spray. It collected every bug, dirt, debris, etc. on the front but as I recall was easier to clean than untreated areas. If you spray the front of the RV you will have a real wash job to do because the front will be really ugly, REALLY UGLY for a while. I also used a bug screen in the radiator areas to prevent the radiator from being clogged.

For the Grand Design RVs with front painted caps first a good and regular wax job and perhaps a small electric pressure washer to remove the bugs after a drive. Don't let them dry if possible.
    2020 Ram Laramie 3500 DRW
    Solitude 320X sold
    2020 Raptor 356
    2012 Primetime Crusader 355BHQ (GF's)

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chunker View Post
    I went to Alaska and we saw some tour caravans, mostly motorhomes, that had a variety of coatings on the fronts. Layers of clear plastic on headlights, parts of windshields, front painted surfaces, etc. Idea was to protect from rocks. Don't know how it worked but it looked like crap and DON'T try to drive at night because in some cases I don't think any light could get through. I live near and along the gulf coast and we have love bugs. Makes a huge mess and IF they dry can damage painted surfaces and are a real pain to remove. When I had to drive regularly from Pensacola to Louisiana weekly, gulf flying job, I tried a couple time spraying the front of the truck with Pam vegetable spray. It collected every bug, dirt, debris, etc. on the front but as I recall was easier to clean than untreated areas. If you spray the front of the RV you will have a real wash job to do because the front will be really ugly, REALLY UGLY for a while. I also used a bug screen in the radiator areas to prevent the radiator from being clogged.

For the Grand Design RVs with front painted caps first a good and regular wax job and perhaps a small electric pressure washer to remove the bugs after a drive. Don't let them dry if possible.
    chunker,

I thought this was really weird when I lived in OK for a while. Everyone who owned a truck swore by it: spray the front with PAM, and when thoroughly bugged up-wash with “Co-cola”! Then, again, I’d never in my life seen the swarms of bugs around lights at night that I saw there-some the size of birds!
    N
    Bruce and Nancy
    2018 Imagine 2150rb
    2011 Silverado 1500 5.3L

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’ve seen this bug banner posted somewhere before (possibly here). I don’t know anything about it and not sure it wouldn’t cause more damage but is a similar idea like Saran Wrap.

https://buggbanner.com/
    2013 Ram Cummins 3500
    2019 GD 303RLS-SOLD

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LOL, living in Florida everyone hates the "Love Bug" season. Nasty slimy black bugs that are hard to clean off. As a result, I have tried many types of preventatives. In the end I am back to soap, water, non-scratch pad and elbow grease.

It would fun to see which is harder work, applying/removing the saran wrap in a fashion that it will not peel off, or just washing the bugs.
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Bug Banner works great, the only downside is that oncoming can't see we are a Reflection and give a wave.

Len

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast