User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Solitude front bay puck light inop

Ok so I was poking around in the front bay yesterday checking the batteries and looking for ways to route the rear camera wiring when the new truck gets here. Lo and behold way up at the top of the bay above the door is a puck light like in the other storage bays, never knew it was there! But of course when you push the center button it doesn't work . All of the wiring looks connected with those high quality twist nuts that GD uses so I'm not sure what else to check. The light would be super handy to check battery levels or generator oil level at night without juggling a flashlight. Any ideas from my highly knowledgeable forum mates?
    2019 Solitude 375RES Onan 5500 Splendide W/D Samsung res. fridge
    2020 Ford F450 Platinum dually 6.7L 4:30 gears
    B&W Companion for Ford puck system 20K lbs
    Jeff

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's wired to the same switch as the front cap LED lights. No idea why they did it that way.
    Threw me at first as well.
    Rob, Chris and fur baby Maya - Follow us at rctravels.rmcd.ca
    2019 Solitude 374TH, Victron Multiplus II 3000 2x120, Cerbo GX, 6x Battle Born 100AH, 1800W Solar, Blue Sky CC's, Starlink
    2023 GMC Sierra Duramax Denali 4x4 DRW Longbox Crew Cab, Curt Q25

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Txfivver View Post
    Ok so I was poking around in the front bay yesterday checking the batteries and looking for ways to route the rear camera wiring when the new truck gets here. Lo and behold way up at the top of the bay above the door is a puck light like in the other storage bays, never knew it was there! But of course when you push the center button it doesn't work . All of the wiring looks connected with those high quality twist nuts that GD uses so I'm not sure what else to check. The light would be super handy to check battery levels or generator oil level at night without juggling a flashlight. Any ideas from my highly knowledgeable forum mates?

On our 310GK, the front compartment was wired to the outside nose lights (the V on either side of "Solitude" on the front cap). Both the nose light switch AND the center button on the light must be on for the front compartment light to work.

Note: It is very easy to rewire the front compartment light to be controlled only by the center switch on the light. Just follow the wires from the front cap switch and the front compartment light back to the Wago connector. Just lift up the orange tab on the Wago to insert or remove a wire. Connect the "hot" wire from the light to the "hot" side of the switch. I did this and found it much more useful to be able to turn the front compartment light on and off while in the compartment.

Chris
    Chris & Karen
    Fort Collins, CO
    2017 F-350 SRW 6.7 Lariat Value CC LB 4x4
    2018 Solitude 310GK - Sold 7/2023

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Chris thank you sooo much that is exactly what I was looking for! I never thought to turn on the front cap lights but it did seem as if the light wires ran up to the cap light switch. This forum and it's members are amazing! I don't even mind going broke from buying all the gadgets that people recommend from Amazon on here lol
    Jeff

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Chris thank you sooo much that is exactly what I was looking for! I never thought to turn on the front cap lights but it did seem as if the light wires ran up to the cap light switch. This forum and it's members are amazing! I don't even mind going broke from buying all the gadgets that people recommend from Amazon on here lol

Glad to help. I have learned so much from the great people here, I just just try to pay back a little of what I have learned.

And in the truest spirit of the forum, passing along what I learned, tips and trick (and of course helping other send their money ), I just love the Wago connectors that Grand Design uses all over for low voltage wire spices. So much better than wire nuts (in my opinion). Grand design seams to use the 221 series (and they work well). I purchased some 3 and 5 wire connectors off Amazon ( $7 and $10 for 10 each). 3 connector and 5 connector links. There are other sizes and number of connectors available.

Chris
    Chris & Karen
    Fort Collins, CO

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CoChris View Post
    Glad to help. I have learned so much from the great people here, I just just try to pay back a little of what I have learned.

And in the truest spirit of the forum, passing along what I learned, tips and trick (and of course helping other send their money ), I just love the Wago connectors that Grand Design uses all over for low voltage wire spices. So much better than wire nuts (in my opinion). Grand design seams to use the 221 series (and they work well). I purchased some 3 and 5 wire connectors off Amazon ( $7 and $10 for 10 each). 3 connector and 5 connector links. There are other sizes and number of connectors available.

Chris
    LOL thanks...I think. Oh God let me get on Amazon and see if I can find them lol!
    Jeff

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LOL thanks...I think. Oh God let me get on Amazon and see if I can find them lol!

Just follow the links (I think) or just search for "Wago 221". Just trying to "help"

PS Now i see they have a assortment pack of 2,3 and 5 connectors for $20. I maybe a victim of my own "helpfulness"

Chris
    Last edited by CoChris; 01-27-2020 at 12:41 PM.
    Chris & Karen
    Fort Collins, CO

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KamFlyer View Post
    It's wired to the same switch as the front cap LED lights. No idea why they did it that way.
    Threw me at first as well.
    Thank you KamFlyer, I somehow missed your post. I think I will rewire it as CoChris described. That way I can tinker under the "hood" without frying the whole campgrounds eyeballs with the front cap lights lol.
    Jeff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a 2022 310GK-R. Same problem, puck light does not come on in front compartment. I cannot find the nose light switch......I've looked in all the places mentioned in other posts, but no luck.
    Any ideas?
    Thanks,
    Hutch

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BHutch View Post
    I have a 2022 310GK-R. Same problem, puck light does not come on in front compartment. I cannot find the nose light switch......I've looked in all the places mentioned in other posts, but no luck.
    Any ideas?
    Thanks,
    Hutch
    On my '18, it is outside the compartment, on the curbside, just above the battery vent cover. Hope this helps.
    Paul, Sue & Wonder Dog Zane
    '18 Solitude 310 GK
    "15 F-350 6.7, DRW, CC

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast