User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New 7.3 gas MPG...anybody got one?

Been seeing a lot of youtube and other Internet info on the reported MPG of the new 7.3 gas engine. Some have claimed to get 16 and 17 mpg highway/local running. This sounds awfully tempting if it's true. Several years ago I had a 7.4 gas in my F250 and it was bullet proof for over 100K miles and 12 years of towing but the mpg was 9-10 all the time when not towing unless I drove 50 mph. Driving 50 and under it could get 14. Currently running a diesel but always thinking about the next truck and what to get.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Likes to tow View Post
    Been seeing a lot of youtube and other Internet info on the reported MPG of the new 7.3 gas engine. Some have claimed to get 16 and 17 mpg highway/local running. This sounds awfully tempting if it's true. Several years ago I had a 7.4 gas in my F250 and it was bullet proof for over 100K miles and 12 years of towing but the mpg was 9-10 all the time when not towing unless I drove 50 mph. Driving 50 and under it could get 14. Currently running a diesel but always thinking about the next truck and what to get.
    There are several threads on this, including some on the GD site. I have seen 15 solo, but sub 5 towing and with a 36 gallon gas tank you cant get very far. The new 6.7 is posting close to 20 solo and the typical 9-12 towing, with the 3:31 or 3:55 There is a web site based out of Denver that has done a lot of testing.

I was looking at the 7.3 too, but now will be getting the 6.7.
    Last edited by powerscol; 01-29-2020 at 02:07 PM.
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As far as fuel mileage on the 6.7 Ford Diesel, maybe in lower elevations, perfect weather, flat land maybe on a perfect day you can get 20 MPG on a long run. Maybe...……….
    But where we live higher elevation shorter drives, hilly winding roads, guarantee you, you will average around 15 MPG on your diesel. Don't you wish that you could get 20 MPG?
    Sadly most of that fuel goes down the exhaust pipe. One again my nephew has a new F-350 here in Colorado it averages 15 EMPTY. The only way you will get a consistent 20 MPG is go after market and delete the regen system. And I believe the fuel tanks are no bigger than the gas trucks. Right? So @ 9 or 10 MPG loaded you aren't going to get that far anyway. That's why a lot of people mount a fuel tank in the bed.
    Russ & Deb
    Myles, Blu & Sadie aka furry kids
    2019 F-150 - 2021-F350 (aka red rocket2)
    2000 F-250 aka the snow plow truck

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ Olin View Post
    As far as fuel mileage on the 6.7 Ford Diesel, maybe in lower elevations, perfect weather, flat land maybe on a perfect day you can get 20 MPG on a long run. Maybe...……….
    But where we live higher elevation shorter drives, hilly winding roads, guarantee you, you will average around 15 MPG on your diesel. Don't you wish that you could get 20 MPG?
    Sadly most of that fuel goes down the exhaust pipe. One again my nephew has a new F-350 here in Colorado it averages 15 EMPTY. The only way you will get a consistent 20 MPG is go after market and delete the regen system. And I believe the fuel tanks are no bigger than the gas trucks. Right? So @ 9 or 10 MPG loaded you aren't going to get that far anyway. That's why a lot of people mount a fuel tank in the bed.

Good points Russ
    Does your nephew have the new 6.7 or the 7.3 gas? I was at the dealer yesterday and they said that they have only sold a few so far - 1 7.3. Also if new it takes a bit to get broken in. My 04 will give me 16 around town on a good day. I just wish I had more confidence in it as after it got fixed I got a high pitch howl out of the turbo, or belt sequel with full power outside Montrose. Maybe I should have Zimes double check - then I might keep it a while. My 04 has the 4:10 ls differential in it.
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by powerscol View Post
    Good points Russ
    Does your nephew have the new 6.7 or the 7.3 gas? I was at the dealer yesterday and they said that they have only sold a few so far - 1 7.3. Also if new it takes a bit to get broken in. My 04 will give me 16 around town on a good day. I just wish I had more confidence in it as after it got fixed I got a high pitch howl out of the turbo, or belt sequel with full power outside Montrose. Maybe I should have Zimes double check - then I might keep it a while. My 04 has the 4:10 ls differential in it.
    Keith,
    My nephew has a 6.7 diesel. 2018 0r 2019 model. He's the one who spent 12G to replace the 6.4 diesel. And then drove it to Texas & traded it. Could not trade it here in CO Because it had a open exhaust system. He told me Texas doesn't care. Anyway, he was down visiting last fall and told me the diesel averaged 15 MPG around Craig CO very similar to where we live. I believe him because the 3 diesels I owned over the years averaged 15 MPG living right here where we live. My 2012 F-250 6.2 V8 430 gears with heavy lug off road tires averages 13 MPG. As far as your 04 having 410 gears cool. That's what it takes to pull.
    As far as turbo's they can shell and metal will be sucked right into the engine. Might want to replace it if there is any question. Way cheaper than a whole engine as we all know. Good luck.
    Russ & Deb

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    2017 F250 6.7 TD....Never gets more than 16 MPG. easy, flat, modest MPH driving! Towing +- 10. love the truck so far !

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NanaPawi View Post
    2017 F250 6.7 TD....Never gets more than 16 MPG. easy, flat, modest MPH driving! Towing +- 10. love the truck so far !
    Yes sir the dude tells it like it is. Right on the money.
    Russ & Deb

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by powerscol View Post
    Good points Russ
    Here is a link to one testing place TFLTRUCK.COM
    Hope it helps

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ Olin View Post
    Yes sir the dude tells it like it is. Right on the money.
    Here is a chart of all my fuel stops since new with my 2017 6.7L Powerstroke. The peak was 19.2 mpg, the overall average is 15.0 mpg. This includes every mile. Pulling the 28BH was usually between 9-10 mpg in low-altitude Texas. I've towed my little InTech 6000 miles (normally 77-mph and 13.5-14 mpg). I tend to do better at higher altitude (CO, UT, ID, WY), which I assume is due to the thinner air and less drag.

Had this all been done with the 6.2 (or 7.3), I'd guess the numbers would drop ~3 or 4 mpg. One thing is for sure, the diesel made nearly all 43K miles seem effortless.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fuel_mileage_jpg.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	64.1 KB 
ID:	24664
    2017 F-350 CCSB 6.7L
    2021 Micro Minnie 2100BH
    previously - Reflection 28BH, Intech Pursue