User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

230RL Owners - Have You Changed out Your TCL TV or Your Furrion System?

So last night we decided to check the TV and DVD player in our new 2020 230RL. The Furrion system leaves much to be desired. The remote would only work within a few feet of the box and neither of us could easily read the button labels. I've read a bit in the forum and seems many are dissatisfied with the Furrion DVD player and have opted to replace it with or bypass it with a separate Blu-Ray player. Other have also replaced the TCL TV with a Smart TV.

I've looked a bit and it seems that 40" Smart TVs are not as plentiful as they once were; sure I can find some, but they are more expensive than say the 43" TVs on the market.

So, if you've upgraded in your 230RL, what have you found to fit well in the existing space in the living room?

Thanks.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have you thought about putting a Roku stick on your TV - turns any tv into a smart one? We did that with our TCL and works great. Right now prices range from $30 to $80. Roku Ultra has faster processors for streaming.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I replaced the TCI to a Sony smart TV. And added a sound bar....Good move IMO.
    2017 F350 Lariat, Dual rear wheels
    2017 GD 311BHS

Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you use the search function on the forum, you'll find dozens (if not more) threads on replacing the TVs and entertainment centers in GD products. The topic/issues are not model-specific. We have a Samsung smart TV that replaced the TCL in our rig and all entertainment sources run through a Polk Audio sound bar with sub-woofer via the optical digital input. Our new rig (take delivery in a few weeks) will come with a larger, "smarter" TCL TV... we'll have to see how it goes.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I discuss tv with customers I make sure they are informed as to the longevity of non-rv tv's. Tv's such as Furrion are tested for shock and temperature extremes, as are there radios and kitchen appliances. A standard/household tv may look and work great, but they are not built to withstand the rigors of towing an earthquake down the road. Your home tv is designed to sit in a temperature controlled environment and in most cases, never be moved (I dust around ours, lol). Cheaper is not better...BETTER IS BETTER!
    Scott M. Barlag
    Burns Harbor, IN

Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sbarlag View Post
    When I discuss tv with customers I make sure they are informed as to the longevity of non-rv tv's. Tv's such as Furrion are tested for shock and temperature extremes, as are there radios and kitchen appliances. A standard/household tv may look and work great, but they are not built to withstand the rigors of towing an earthquake down the road. Your home tv is designed to sit in a temperature controlled environment and in most cases, never be moved (I dust around ours, lol). Cheaper is not better...BETTER IS BETTER!
    With over 50 years experience with electronics (including building and repairing), I disagree. Any modern TV with surface-mount IC technology is more than up to the task of bouncing down the road. We replaced our TCL TV after less than two years because it failed. Our Samsung is still going strong three years later - and we are full-timers putting more than 15K miles a year on the rig.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm basing my entry off of 1-Grand Design University training, 1-Grand Design Boot Camp Excelerated Training, 3-Jayco Masters Training, 2-Winnebago Factory Trainings, countless on-site Factory Rep training sessions, direct conversation with FURRION and TCL regarding RV TV use. LIVE YOUR VISION,,,NOT YOUR CIRCUMSTANCE
    Scott M. Barlag
    Burns Harbor, IN

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The TCL television is a POS. They bought the least expensive they could, just like the rest of the components they use to build. Mine was INOP from Day one. Had my Sony acroos country 4 times in mt\y 5ER. Still works great.
    2017 GD 311BHS

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sbarlag View Post
    Last TV I put in my 5er was a Sony 40" LED. Had it in there for 5 years. If non RV TV's are so bad then why do some MFG put them in? I see non RV TV's in the better built 5ers. My guess is that most MFG's use RV type TV's because they get a good deal and since they come as 12V they are a good selling point.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by goducks14 View Post
    Last TV I put in my 5er was a Sony 40" LED. Had it in there for 5 years. If non RV TV's are so bad then why do some MFG put them in? I see non RV TV's in the better built 5ers. My guess is that most MFG's use RV type TV's because they get a good deal and since they come as 12V they are a good selling point.
    The one in my RV was not 12 volt....
    2017 GD 311BHS

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast