User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Actual height question for 2020 381M?

Purchased a 2020 381M this week and am picking it up on Friday. Failed to take measurements last weekend while on site doing a walk through.

I need to drive my route home from the interstate, and need to know if the advertised measurement of 13’5” is to the top of the A/C units or just the vehicle OML.

Anyone have any info?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JM_2020_381M View Post
    Purchased a 2020 381M this week and am picking it up on Friday. Failed to take measurements last weekend while on site doing a walk through.

I need to drive my route home from the interstate, and need to know if the advertised measurement of 13’5” is to the top of the A/C units or just the vehicle OML.

Anyone have any info?
    I have a 2020 320G and it is listed at 13'5" and it is 13'5" to the top of the AC unit.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JM_2020_381M View Post

Anyone have any info?
    From what I've gleaned the actual height should be at or sightly under the published figure. But the actual for you will depend on the truck you have whether or not it's stock or lifted, the tires you have vs stock tires/rims, and the actual hitch adjustment in the truck. All those things could change/raise the height of your trailer in your truck. If on the other hand you are "under-trucked" with a 3/4T truck, it probably will squat a bit lowering the front of the 5th wheel and lowering that height. Generally speaking the top of the front air conditioner is the highest point on a 5th wheel.
    2020 Ram Laramie 3500 DRW
    Solitude 320X sold
    2020 Raptor 356
    2012 Primetime Crusader 355BHQ (GF's)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also, after an incident where we had to turn around which is a total pain, I now use a mobile device GPS app that takes into account your vehicle+trailer height, width, length, and weight and takes those values into account for mapping your route. If you have an apple or android phone, you can load it and use a trial 14 day free subscription for the ride home for a couple of the services out there. I've been running a trial of CoPilot driving back and forth to work trying different routes where I know there are low bridges. Work decent and does not have every "obstacle" for traveling with a trailer but for sure has all the interstate bridges marked near me that are less than 15'. I also bought a subscription to a service that sells a POI file you can load into the app to add more bridges that are not often in the GPS software database. Between those services, I feel I pretty well covered, and I always map out our routes now before I get into the cab and put her in drive because no map or GPS tool is foolproof or complete. Also, i never veer of major routes and call ahead to campgrounds to find safe passage.

FWIW, campgrounds also are known to have low hanging trees and power lines that 99% of the trailers have no problem with, however once you get into the mid 13's for height..well it can be problematic. One of the posters talks about taking out lines at a campground in another thread somewhere.

Anyways, safe travels and post questions as needed, good bunch of folks who know there stuff on this forum.
    Last edited by MooManChu; 01-29-2020 at 08:29 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chunker View Post
    From what I've gleaned the actual height should be at or sightly under the published figure. But the actual for you will depend on the truck you have whether or not it's stock or lifted, the tires you have vs stock tires/rims, and the actual hitch adjustment in the truck. All those things could change/raise the height of your trailer in your truck. If on the other hand you are "under-trucked" with a 3/4T truck, it probably will squat a bit lowering the front of the 5th wheel and lowering that height. Generally speaking the top of the front air conditioner is the highest point on a 5th wheel.
    Good info chunker, FWIW the OP has in his profile he has a F350, not sure how much squatting will be goin on, but sure there will be some. I see you have a 1 ton...What GD do you have?
    Last edited by MooManChu; 01-29-2020 at 08:44 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    3/4" squat without air in the bags. Very comfortable ride. And thank you gents for the height info. It was spot on and made measuring the route home easy on the mind.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_4315.jpg   IMG_3102.jpg  
    Last edited by JM_2020_381M; 02-04-2020 at 06:32 PM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MooManChu View Post
    Good info chunker, FWIW the OP has in his profile he has a F350, not sure how much squatting will be goin on, but sure there will be some. I see you have a 1 ton...What GD do you have?
    I don't right now but had a Solitude 320X. I was thinking about a Momentum 351M but have decided on a Raptor 356. Identical floor plans but the Raptor has some better features such as tie downs in garage floor welded to frame, only 1 sewer drain, not 2. Lighter interior, I hate the dark cabinets, and a few others. The results of months of research and looking.
    Solitude 320X sold
    2020 Raptor 356

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't right now but had a Solitude 320X. I was thinking about a Momentum 351M but have decided on a Raptor 356. Identical floor plans but the Raptor has some better features such as tie downs in garage floor welded to frame, only 1 sewer drain, not 2. Lighter interior, I hate the dark cabinets, and a few others. The results of months of research and looking.
    Congrats on your a Raptor. I know the 356 from the recent RV show. Great unit. Love the exterior graphics package too. I hear ya on the cabinets. Good luck with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2020 Grand Design Momentum 320G
    2017 Ford F350 King Ranch 6.7 PSD Super Duty

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MooManChu View Post
    Congrats on your a Raptor. I know the 356 from the recent RV show. Great unit. Love the exterior graphics package too. I hear ya on the cabinets. Good luck with it.

Thanks, I'm ordering and making it mine, dual pane windows, full body paint, and some changes to "typically" ordered. Early to mid March.
    Solitude 320X sold
    2020 Raptor 356

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, I'm ordering and making it mine, dual pane windows, full body paint, and some changes to "typically" ordered. Early to mid March.
    Best of luck. Always worth the effort doing your research and ordering exactly what you want. Did you also need to jump into another tow vehicle?

2020 Grand Design Momentum 320G
    2017 Ford F350 King Ranch 6.7 PSD Super Duty

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast