Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Considering a 399 TH

Hi Fellow Rv'ers,
    We are considering moving from our travel trailer to a toy hauler. After looking around at floor plans and wanting to stick to 40-45 ft length, we came across the 399 TH. The side patio looks very intriguing.
    Would like to hear your thoughts on the Grand Design M product line in general and 399 specifically. We are in Houston so some choice in terms of dealers to go look at stuff.
    Thanks in Advance and Safe Travels.
    Best,
    Anupam

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We just got our 399TH home last week and, quite honestly, we were expecting a nice trailer and layout, but one we got to spend a little time in it, we were even more happy we chose GD and the 399TH.

We did special order ours... mostly due to the Full body Paint, Duel Pane Windows and King Bed.

Some of the things we really like about it is that side patio and its location near the middle. There are other brands with the side patio, but you give up a slide for it or have this bathroom walk-though thing lime on the Forest River XLR. The patio on our 399TH feels rock solid and firm. It is much easier than I thought to open it up; my wife and older kids can easily get it down and up with one person.

The fit and finish is very nice and to be expected in this level of RV; this is not an entry or base level RV. The options an amenities are very nice. This is our 4th RV in about 20 years... also our nicest, longest and heaviest.

I towed our last 3 axle trailer with a F350 and, for me, it felt unstable even with air bags and wheel/tire spacers. If large semi trucks can get blown over in high winds, so can Toy Haulers. And, as a firefighter, the margin of safety needs not be higher for me and my family, IMO; I'm not taking a risk or chance towing on the border of safety. This 399TH is big and heavy and I would not tow it unless it was with a duelly because the GVWR is 20K! I ordered a F450 Ford for the purpose of towing it and it feels very solid and safe.
    However, you will surely get others who say it's fine to do so and go over the weight numbers or rationalize or say that "as long as your a pound under you're ok.", but I'm just giving you my opinion personally... and professionally and 22-year firefighter and paramedic.

There are a lot of electronics on this thing and we are still figuring things out, but overall we are very impressed and happy. If you have specific questions, drop me a line and I will give you any info or opinion I have.

Good luck in you journey and have fun in your shopping

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    grandseahawk congratulations! When you get a chance please post some pictures. Appreciate your advice on the tv. I actually went ahead and got a 2020 F450. Unfortunately we haven't yet been able to tour an actual 399 th floor plan. Our local dealer doesn't seem to have one. We have toured other momentum models and absolutely love the fit and finish. One concern that my wife brought up was that on the floor plan schematics the livingroom tv appears to be too close to the couch. While watching TV have you felt that?
    Thanks in advance. Comgratulations again and be safe on the roads.

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We never thought the TV was an issue. It is on a swivel bracket which helps. We got rid of the TCL TV and replaced it with a Samsung smart TV and soundbar, much much better. We have the super sofa and watching TV from any of the seats is fine.

I think the one thing I dont like about the 399 is that you cant access the bedroom or main bath with the slides in. You can still access garage bathroom, better than nothing.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Agree with FT4NOW on the view being fine with the TV. Ours swivels about 20-25 degrees. One minor issue is that closeness of the "manual slid-out" switches which are under the cabinet and right above the TV. There's only about 2-3 inches of space to reach in and depress them. Looking at it from a design perspective, there does not appear to be many good locations to put these switches, so I get why they put them there... but at least they have them.

While we do not have the Super Sofa. The TV location works fine and provides a good view from the regular sofa...even with the foot rests extended. You can still walk around to the upstairs bedroom without issue. The regular sofa does have some wiggle room for moving it a little as well. The heated and massage is pretty sweet too.

We do plan on replacing the TCL brand television with a slightly smaller TV of better quality, mainly to make access for those manual switches easier. But, all RV manufacturers use these crappy TVs, it is what it is. On a another note, the TVs do have the Auto-Tune option with a better antenna on the roof that you do not need to extend. Just switch on "Auto-Tune" on your TV and about 10 minutes later, lots of local TV channels are available... FREE. And, all 4 TVs on our 399TH use the same Remote so if you lose one, Voila! The range is limited on these so, for us anyways, there does not seem to be an overlap issue with more than one TV on. There is NO DVD player, but there is room under the TV to easily install one (I got a Blu-Ray Samsung on eBay delivered for @$50 that fits perfect and I will Velcro it to the 10" ledge right under that TV).

We are still exploring and figuring things out, which is part of the fun. With a F450, you will have no issues towing it either.

This is a good forum for all things 2017+ Super Duty and there's a ton on the new 2020 Super Duty:
    https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum279/

On your F450, Reese makes that OEM 5th wheel hitch. It’s rated at 32.5K pounds. (There is one at 27.5K OEM too) The thing is solid and Made in USA. It fits into the puck system.
    It’s warranted with the truck, so much better than if you buy it as a Reese branded... which you can’t anyways. Highly recommend it. It also works great with the Teflon plates on your kingpin.

One more thing we were pleasantly surprised with was to 2 fantastic fans. One in the kitchen is the standard with the wall mounted remote near the steps... again, not a lot of places to install the switch, but it does have one. The one in the bathroom has the outside hood shroud so you can leave it open while driving.
    Last edited by grandseahawk; 02-06-2020 at 12:02 PM.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    grandseahawk,FT4Now,
    Thanks for the detailed replies. Signed on the dotted line today to get a 399TH,full body paint,solar panel with inverter and dual pane windows. My wife opted for the residential refregirator. I will be curious to hear your thoughts on that. Can't wait for it to get here !!

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Awesome to hear, I think you will really enjoy you new 399TH. Then hunt for "stuff" and supplies is half the fun too.

My wife and I debated about the residential fridge with the solar package at length. Ultimately, our decision was based mainly on what we plan to do with our RV. I'm not sure what part of the country you are in; we are in the West Coast and will primarily be staying West of the Mississippi, so for us there will be lots of boon-docking. West Coast folks typically take these big rigs out to dry camping for days at a time, so a residential fridge, even with solar is not as practical for us... still very do-able though. On the East Coast, it is my understanding that most RV parks have power hook-ups, so a residential fridge might be more practical. That said, we have friends here on West Coast that have the residential fridge and they are very happy with their decision. There's pros and cons either way and I have no doubt you will be very happy with yours.

We are now in the upgrade stage... Mor Ryde X-factor installation and welding in metal support plates for the suspension leaf hangers... a weak point for us boon-dockers on rougher roads. Also, ceramic window coating film (even on the duel pane windows) and ceramic paint coating application.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How long does it take for the residential Refrig to cool to temperature in both areas (frig and freezer)? I heard 2 hours, but that was from someone selling RVs....

I know the temperature delta will vary the time but if you know the starting temp to operating temp = the time that would help. Thanks!
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    2021 RAM 3500 MegaCab SWD Diesel 4x4
    SOLD --> 2020 Solitude 310GK

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't have a 399TH, but I had the same/similar issue with the slide out switches and the kitchen/living room light switches being mounted under the cabinet; what a pain in the backside that was to bend over every time and look to see which switch was which! So, with a little time, a drill, and a hacksaw blade, this is where the switches are now. The wiring didn't even need to be extended. I did cut a piece of extra/scrap panelling that I had from when I modded the bed from King size to Queen size, to fit over the holes that were in the bottom of the cabinet where the original switch location was at. It matches perfectly...AND...it under the cabinet so you can't see it anyway......

2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would venture to say that since the residential fridge is a referential fridge, it would need the same time to cool as your home fridge... probably close to a day

With my 18CF RV fridge, the dealer said they turned everything on the afternoon before I picked it up and when I opened the fridge door at @9AM the next morning it was perfectly cold, and the freezer too. I do plan on using that little blue 30-day battery-powered box fan in mine to increase the efficiently and move air since it is a double-door fridge and an RV fridge looses so much coolness when its doors are opened, especially frequently.

xrated... that is such a clever idea. I will for sure copy that. Thank you!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast