User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Camping in VT, NH, ME, NY Looking for suggestions, early summer trip

WE are trying to plan a trip from Ohio ending up north of Albany NY this early summer, any thoughts on where to go, or not to go? Planning on stops in VT, ME, NH, Up state NY. We like bike riding, hiking, general exploring. Appreciate any thoughts. We camp with 32"TT, as we are drifting around, different types of campgrounds are good. We do a lot of state park camping in our area. Full hookups not required.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you get to Maine, Acadia NP is not to be missed.though it deserves a week or so.
    In NH make sure to stop in the White Mountains,Crawford, Pinkham itches are spectacular, the Kangamangus Highway Crawford notch loop.
    NY, Lake St. George area, the Adirondacks, Fingerlakes are all beautiful

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    2018 Reflection 27RL
    2017 GMC 2500

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tortise View Post
    If you get to Maine, Acadia NP is not to be missed.though it deserves a week or so.
    In NH make sure to stop in the White Mountains,Crawford, Pinkham itches are spectacular, the Kangamangus Highway Crawford notch loop.
    NY, Lake St. George area, the Adirondacks, Fingerlakes are all beautiful

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    If you go to the White Mtns in NH be sure to ride the cog railway up Mt. Washington, and take a coat.
    The state campgrounds sites in Vermont are generally at the mountain tops and are old school. Most are Narrow(like the ski trails used to be...sigh) and short so it's best to investigate the sites before committing. They will accommodate you if you need to switch. Also they are largely for boondocking, no hook ups, fill your water tank at the bottom and settle in. If you stay along Rt.7, the Green Mountains, there is the Batten Kill River, a wonderful trout stream that can be easily accessed. Then there is Manchester to send DW off to while you fish.
    Camden Me. state campground is a gem and is often available when Acadia is booked.
    Last edited by Wicked ace; 02-04-2020 at 07:27 AM.
    2018 F150 XLT 301a, Screw, 4x4, HDPP, Max tow, Andersen Ultimate w/ Curt Double Lock hitch.
    2019 Grand Design Reflection 150 series 260RD.... SOLD!!!!.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't know if Seneca Lake (Watkins Glen NY) really qualifies as Upstate NY or not. Sampson State Park is a great place, and located between Seneca and Cayuga lakes. Right in the middle of wine country. There is also a KOA campground at the top of the hill south of Watkins Glen, close to the Speedway. There are at least tow times a year that campgrounds are pretty much full. During the Nascar race (or any big race event) and during Wine Fest ( I highly recommend Wine Fest). Absolutely Beautiful area, and not overcrowded (except for the special events, which are well organized). Four Mile Creek, on the West End South shore of Lake Ontario is another good place. Just North of Niagara falls. Just make sure you stay on the free ways. I decided to take a route someone told me about. The problem was, I started on the route to soon. I ended up in Downtown Niagara Falls in front of a bridge marked 11'6"! . My rig is 12'2". As Luck would have it, we had a conversation the day before about bridge clearances - apparently bridges are marked 1' lower than actual. I can attest that it was a pucker moment, but my info was correct as we made it through. NEVER AGAIN- getting a different (770 ) GPS before the next season.
    Bob (retired) & Vicki
    Scuba Diver
    US ARMY Vet (Go Cav!)
    2019 Reflection 31MB
    2019 Chevy 2500HD LT Crew Cab Gasser