User Tag List

Thread: 80 amp breaker

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

80 amp breaker

I have had my resettable 50 amp breaker pop 5 times. Upon contacting GD, they sent me an 80 amp breaker. Since I am clueless when it comes to electricity, does anyone have a correct but simple way to install this 80 amp. Pictures would be very helpful.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fgholl View Post
    I have had my resettable 50 amp breaker pop 5 times. Upon contacting GD, they sent me an 80 amp breaker. Since I am clueless when it comes to electricity, does anyone have a correct but simple way to install this 80 amp. Pictures would be very helpful.
    Here is a link to pictures and info. KEN
    Backpacker and tent camper all my life, including BSA as a kid and adult.
    Motorcycle trips across the USA with a tent - 1978 to Present.
    02-10-2005 - 2002 F350 SWD PSD and 2003 Citation 10'8S mostly for Crater Lake Ski Patrol.
    10-29-2015 - 2016 Grand Design 380TH. It's HUGE compared to a camper.
    10-19-2018 - traded truck for a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie CC 4 X 4 Long Box.
    03-16-2019 - Traded Momentum for a New 2018 374TH-R Solitude
    FULL TIME RV'er Nov 2021

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by orbiker View Post
    I am feeling really fortunate, that I have this Forum as a reference to figure out some of the issues that are now surfacing on our 2018 Solitude 310GK, which we bought in Jan 2018. I have read a number of posts since last weekend about the issue of the 50Amp breaker and the replacing it for an 80 Amp resettable Breaker. I really do appreciate the descriptions, and pictures those of you that have had this issue since 2016! I never read those posts until the past weekend on our short 4 day stay at Buckhorn RV resort in Kerrville,TX. As I was trying to unhitch, the Hyd stabilizers were stopping and I would have to wait for the lights to quit flashing and then again resume trying to get the front stabilizers to extend. It was much more frequent than it has been FOR THE LAST YEAR approximately. I was getting concerned, so I made a mental note to get it looked at this winter in the off season. After finally getting the front legs down and my rig off loaded, I moved my truck forward and pushed AUTO LEVEL. NO ISSUES.. My next step is to open the Two Hyd slides. OMG! A new issue! For the first time in 2 and one half years, the refrigerator slide only moved 4 inches, then stopped!! I went over to the wood molding and gently pushed on it , then resumed pushing the switch. It moved maybe 6 inches and stopped again! Again I pushed on the slide and went back to the switch. This time both slides opened fully and I was relieved, but also worried that maybe they wouldn't close! Not starting off on a relaxing stay!!
    After we finished setting up and wife was taking dogs to the park, I decided to call Lippert about the issue because it was just 2:30. Got them on the second ring and Chris who I was talking to was really helpful. He was almost positive it was my almost 3 year old Battery being low, and told me to remove shore power and all electric load and check the terminals with Multimeter. I thanked him, and did as he recommended. The BTRY showed 12.95 Volts. I now was confused, but I decided that I would go into town and purchase a NEW BTRY, as mine was almost three years old. I do pull the BTRY twice a year checking the water and charge it! I still decided to get a NEW one the next day, Friday. That evening I googled HYD SLIDES/STABILIZERS NOT EXTENDING, and LOW and BEHOLD, our Forum came up with all the Super info! I was now intrigued and also HYPED! After reading all the posts by ORBIKER, COCHRIS, and others, I was pumped. I decided I could take care of this. I would approach it as a challenge, and I would call Lippert in the morning, FRIDAY, and get their advice. I called at 0800 exactly, and got someone immediately AGAIN! I explained everything including my previous conversation with another Lippert Tech, and also about my BTRY being OK. I then got the explanation about the Breaker, and it probably should be a 80 AMP. I asked him why I only have a 50 amp, and he said that was GD's decision. Lippert only sends them the components and specs, GD makes the decisions on installation and what Breakers to install. I then told him that GD now does install 80 AMP Breakers since 2019. He then recommended I call GD and explain the situation, and they probably would send me the Breaker.
    I decided I would start easiest method first, and went into Kerrville,to an RV SHOP, and purchased a New, recently charged INTERSTATE BTRY,$163.00. When I got back to my rig, I thought I would check both BTRY VOLTAGES. My BTRY showed 13.08 volts on the wooden bench, the new BTRY showed 12,42Volts. I got to thinking about Bench testing and fully charging, and decided to ask the RV shop if he had a load meter he could check both BTRY's with? I Apologized PROFUSELY to my wife, for not being able to have power for another hour or so, and went to the shop with both BTRY's. Sure enough my Marine BTRY had a better Load draw than his by almost 100 cc's ?? I believe. He refunded my $, and I rushed back to the RV to reinstall my BTRY and GET THAT AC GOING!!
    I now am convinced I need to Follow this Forums excellent directions, and install a 80 AMP Breaker! I called GD on Monday after returning home, and sure enough, after listening to my SAD story, they stopped me during my explanation, and told me they were sending me an 80 AMP BREAKER! AGAIN, VERY IMPRESSED!
    I do have a question to those who have done the install. Can I attach the cable coming from the BUSS to the new breaker at the same location the BTRY cable attaches to the BUSS? The BTRY CABLE attaches to the side of the old Breaker at the bottom of the BUSS. Can I attach the cable going to the New Breaker one spot up on the BUSS, or will that effect the operation of the breaker under that location? AS the question shows, I am NOT an ELECTRICAL GENIUS!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Mike and Jane, Two retired Educators/ One retired Army Aviator
    3 Mini Tri AUSIES
    2018 310 GK 2019 Chevy Duramax 3500 4W/D SRW L/B
    BW 18000 lb Hitch, BACKFLIP TONNAU

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1st Cav Duke View Post
    I am feeling really fortunate, that I have this Forum as a reference to figure out some of the issues that are now surfacing on our 2018 Solitude 310GK, which we bought in Jan 2018. I have read a number of posts since last weekend about the issue of the 50Amp breaker and the replacing it for an 80 Amp resettable Breaker. I really do appreciate the descriptions, and pictures those of you that have had this issue since 2016! I never read those posts until the past weekend on our short 4 day stay at Buckhorn RV resort in Kerrville,TX. As I was trying to unhitch, the Hyd stabilizers were stopping and I would have to wait for the lights to quit flashing and then again resume trying to get the front stabilizers to extend. It was much more frequent than it has been FOR THE LAST YEAR approximately. I was getting concerned, so I made a mental note to get it looked at this winter in the off season. After finally getting the front legs down and my rig off loaded, I moved my truck forward and pushed AUTO LEVEL. NO ISSUES.. My next step is to open the Two Hyd slides. OMG! A new issue! For the first time in 2 and one half years, the refrigerator slide only moved 4 inches, then stopped!! I went over to the wood molding and gently pushed on it , then resumed pushing the switch. It moved maybe 6 inches and stopped again! Again I pushed on the slide and went back to the switch. This time both slides opened fully and I was relieved, but also worried that maybe they wouldn't close! Not starting off on a relaxing stay!!
    After we finished setting up and wife was taking dogs to the park, I decided to call Lippert about the issue because it was just 2:30. Got them on the second ring and Chris who I was talking to was really helpful. He was almost positive it was my almost 3 year old Battery being low, and told me to remove shore power and all electric load and check the terminals with Multimeter. I thanked him, and did as he recommended. The BTRY showed 12.95 Volts. I now was confused, but I decided that I would go into town and purchase a NEW BTRY, as mine was almost three years old. I do pull the BTRY twice a year checking the water and charge it! I still decided to get a NEW one the next day, Friday. That evening I googled HYD SLIDES/STABILIZERS NOT EXTENDING, and LOW and BEHOLD, our Forum came up with all the Super info! I was now intrigued and also HYPED! After reading all the posts by ORBIKER, COCHRIS, and others, I was pumped. I decided I could take care of this. I would approach it as a challenge, and I would call Lippert in the morning, FRIDAY, and get their advice. I called at 0800 exactly, and got someone immediately AGAIN! I explained everything including my previous conversation with another Lippert Tech, and also about my BTRY being OK. I then got the explanation about the Breaker, and it probably should be a 80 AMP. I asked him why I only have a 50 amp, and he said that was GD's decision. Lippert only sends them the components and specs, GD makes the decisions on installation and what Breakers to install. I then told him that GD now does install 80 AMP Breakers since 2019. He then recommended I call GD and explain the situation, and they probably would send me the Breaker.
    I decided I would start easiest method first, and went into Kerrville,to an RV SHOP, and purchased a New, recently charged INTERSTATE BTRY,$163.00. When I got back to my rig, I thought I would check both BTRY VOLTAGES. My BTRY showed 13.08 volts on the wooden bench, the new BTRY showed 12,42Volts. I got to thinking about Bench testing and fully charging, and decided to ask the RV shop if he had a load meter he could check both BTRY's with? I Apologized PROFUSELY to my wife, for not being able to have power for another hour or so, and went to the shop with both BTRY's. Sure enough my Marine BTRY had a better Load draw than his by almost 100 cc's ?? I believe. He refunded my $, and I rushed back to the RV to reinstall my BTRY and GET THAT AC GOING!!
    I now am convinced I need to Follow this Forums excellent directions, and install a 80 AMP Breaker! I called GD on Monday after returning home, and sure enough, after listening to my SAD story, they stopped me during my explanation, and told me they were sending me an 80 AMP BREAKER! AGAIN, VERY IMPRESSED!
    I do have a question to those who have done the install. Can I attach the cable coming from the BUSS to the new breaker at the same location the BTRY cable attaches to the BUSS? The BTRY CABLE attaches to the side of the old Breaker at the bottom of the BUSS. Can I attach the cable going to the New Breaker one spot up on the BUSS, or will that effect the operation of the breaker under that location? AS the question shows, I am NOT an ELECTRICAL GENIUS!
    Mike
    The buss bar is "Hot" on the right (copper strip side). Fused on the left.
    I moved the fused wire that goes to the Hdr pump relay to the "hot side" with the battery disconnected. Then I figured out where I was going to mount the breaker and moved the other end to the new breaker after mounting it. Add another wire from the fused side of the new breaker to the place where you took the red wire off of the hydr pump relay. ( I cheated and cut the wire and added ends).
    See pictures in linked thread and post 19. KEN
    After checking your work, reconnect the battery.
    Backpacker and tent camper all my life, including BSA as a kid and adult.
    Motorcycle trips across the USA with a tent - 1978 to Present.
    02-10-2005 - 2002 F350 SWD PSD and 2003 Citation 10'8S mostly for Crater Lake Ski Patrol.
    10-29-2015 - 2016 Grand Design 380TH. It's HUGE compared to a camper.
    10-19-2018 - traded truck for a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie CC 4 X 4 Long Box.
    03-16-2019 - Traded Momentum for a New 2018 374TH-R Solitude
    FULL TIME RV'er Nov 2021

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mike
    The buss bar is "Hot" on the right (copper strip side). Fused on the left.
    I moved the fused wire that goes to the Hdr pump relay to the "hot side" with the battery disconnected. Then I figured out where I was going to mount the breaker and moved the other end to the new breaker after mounting it. Add another wire from the fused side of the new breaker to the place where you took the red wire off of the hydr pump relay. ( I cheated and cut the wire and added ends).
    See pictures in linked thread and post 19. KEN
    After checking your work, reconnect the battery.
    I am Happier than a Pig rolling in YOU KNOW WHAT! I want to THANK ORBIKER, COCHRIS, FT4NOW, and all the others who have posted about 50 AMP Breaker needing to be changed out for 80 AMP Breaker for Hydraulic systems. I finally received the replacement 80 AMP Breaker from GD, yesterday and just got back from my Storage Facility, installing it. I double checked all connections before connecting the BTRY. I first checked the Hyd Levelors, and they worked perfectly under BTRY PWR. I then connected the 30 AMP SUPPLY, and it again worked PERFECTLY. I headed into the RIG and checked the SLIDES, and ALL IS WELL AGAIN!! I went back to the BTRY compartment and checked for any signs of heat and actually used my LAZER HEAT CHECKER, I use for my wheels. NO UNUSUAL HEAT or any signs or smells! I again checked the HYD LEVELERS and ALL WAS WELL. I then disconnected 30 AMP PWR and then the BTRY, and checked the wiring for any HEAT PHYSICALLY with my fingers. NO HEAT AT ALL. I could have never accomplished this TASK without all the information THIS FORUM has posted and am truly a Believer in the Forums BENEFITS! YEHAW! ALSO KUDDOS to GRAND DESIGN, for stepping up and sending the replacement 80 AMP BREAKER. My SOLITUDE is coming up on three years old this coming JANUARY, and GRAND DESIGN had no qualms sending me the required 80 AMP BREAKER. Don't know if other manufacturers would have done that.
    HAPPY CAMPER AGAIN!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Mike and Jane, Two retired Educators/ One retired Army Aviator
    3 Mini Tri AUSIES
    2018 310 GK 2019 Chevy Duramax 3500 4W/D SRW L/B
    BW 18000 lb Hitch, BACKFLIP TONNAU

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know this is a stale thread, but if anybody is searching for an 80 amp breaker, I found them at Powerworx for a reasonable cost & was delivered in 2 days. Everywhere else I looked was backordered (on a boat in LA) or was $100 or more.

I have no affiliation with Powerworx. Just thought this may help someone looking for one without getting ripped off.
    Paul, Sue & Wonder Dog Zane
    '18 Solitude 310 GK
    "15 F-350 6.7, DRW, CC