User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ford/Chevy Debate Anyone?

Okay, okay... Everybody calm down and don't get you're tinsel in a tangle. Hear me out.

I like to keep my trucks for a long time. I also am generally suspicious of the "All New!" hype. So a little history: At thirteen years I replaced my GM truck with another one; a little upgraded but I ordered it so I could get the old body and the old engine... The old reliable stuff. Fifteen years later, I did it again. And this time, the new technology scares me to death. In the last four and a half years, this new truck has had at least $7k of warranty work. (My last truck had one oil leak fixed under warranty.)

I have been driving GM trucks for the last 30 years, but I'm actually not brand loyal. Both times I bought a new truck, I drove a Ford as well. It always came down to things like "Does the seat fit me?" Or " Which has a smoother, quieter ride?" And I made my choice at the time based on those subjective things. When people have asked me, I have always told them that Ford and GM are very comparable. It just comes down to which feels better to you.

All that being said, here we are in 2020 and I'm afraid to let this truck get out of warranty. I have driven the 2020 versions of both trucks and the look and feel is really pretty close. So now my decision is different. This time it's about the prediction of reliability... Everybody get out your crystal balls...

Has anybody seen any substiatable (is that a word?) data on reliability of Ford vs GM in the diesel pickup world? At my current "wish I was retired" age, I don't need to pull a railroad car up Pikes Peak at 80 mph. I just want things to work.

Thoughts?
    Roger, Stacy and the Sophie the fur kid

2017 Solitude 300GK
    2015 Chev 2500 Diesel (replaced)
    2020 F350 DRW

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The ford 6.7 is very reliable....My 2017 with 55k on it has had Zero problems....
    2017 F350 Lariat, Dual rear wheels
    2017 GD 311BHS

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am admittedly biased to Ford as I live in the Louisville, KY area and the Super Duty is built 20 minutes away from where I sit as I type this. In addition to my personal truck (see signature area), we have a construction business in which we own four Super Duty trucks and an E250 van. We put these trucks through the proverbial “ringer” and they keep on going. The oldest one is a 2006 F250 5.4L gasser with mileage over 260K. We also have two with the 6.7L diesel and one with the 6.2L gasser. Lots of towing and heavy payloads (one truck is a F550 with the 6.7L diesel with the sticker payload rating of over 10,000 lbs. and GVWR or 19,500 lbs.; we have one gooseneck trailer on which we regularly tow a piece of equipment weighing over 14,000 lbs putting the trailer & payload weight at near 22,000 lbs. - you get the idea). We give these trucks a workout and they deliver. I am a stickler for regular maintenance and believe that pays dividends and our vehicles undoubtedly last longer as a result.

With all of that said, I believe all of the manufacturers have improved the capability and reliability of their trucks. The biggest things working against the diesel power plants are the EPA mandated goodies they have added to the trucks (exhaust gas recirculation, selective catalytic reduction, etc.) - all of which are shortening the life of the engines and causing more reliability issues. In spite of this fact these engines still produce amazing torque and horsepower numbers.
    The Adams - 2017 Reflection 367BHS, 2019 F-350 6.7L PSD 4x4 CC DRW, B&W hitch on Ford pucks, Air Lift Loadlifter 5000 Ultimate Plus air bags, "Rupert" the Weimaraner.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have no experience with the GM trucks but have been associated with Ford for almost 40 years so I'm a little biased. I've had two 6.7's recently and have a 2020 F450 on order. I have had zero issues of any kind with either truck. Yes the amount of technology is getting crazy but that applies to about anything anymore. This same technology makes these new diesels incredibly capable tow vehicles so we can roam this great country in total comfort. Having said that I also always put a Ford extended warranty on them, as good as they're getting they are still built by humans. I say buy the new one you like, put a warranty on it, and enjoy your travels. Life is too short to fret over it.
    2019 Solitude 375RES Onan 5500 Splendide W/D Samsung res. fridge
    2020 Ford F450 Platinum dually 6.7L 4:30 gears
    B&W Companion for Ford puck system 20K lbs
    Jeff

We Have a Great Site Team WhittleBurner's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have always been a Ford man. I have had a GMC with the Duramax now for 5 years and have had zero problems. Have been equally happy with both Ford and GMC. You are right as to pick the one you are most comfortable with.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I definitely agree with the statement about EPA requirements. A recent failure was the def heater. That seems like not a big deal, but apparently that is only available as a tank assembly at almost $1k. That didn't cost me anything as it was warranty but next year it's a different story.

I'm actually a little disappointed with GM on this truck because many of the failures have been pretty dumb but very expensive to fix.

Good input so far... Thanks for the responses.

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So maybe I should tell the story of my first and favorite truck.... An F100 that was almost ten years old when I bought it. I drove it for almost ten more years. Then I cut it in half and pulled the bed around for another ten years. I finally sold the trailer for almost as much as I paid for the truck.

... The good ol days...

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My 2003 F250 Lariat 7.3 is now 17 years old, and it's been very trouble free. Never had a warranty claim. Did put an alternator, injector 0 rings and 0 rings on the fuel filter. The Bendix on the starter went out last week while I was moving, and I rented a F150 for 5 days with the Coyote V-8. The truck was really strong running from 3500 rpms and up, but a little weak at low speeds towing a loaded utility trailer.

Ford did such a good job designing the cab on my F250. It's still a beautiful truck and still in style. My leather seating is also very solid and great shape. And at this point in life, I cannot see spending $62K for another duplicate truck when 150K miles is all I've got on it. The value in such a truck comes in the very long term.

My wife told me to order a new truck the other day. I told her I'd rather have a new Corvette, and she said order one of them. Since Vette orders for the next year are taken, I told her I'm safe. I'd probably wrap it around a tree anyway.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    both will do what you need them to do. I am a Ford guy, always been. But i have owned a couple GM trucks in half and 3/4 ton. One thing to consider, which to me is very important if you go 5th wheel is bed height. These Ford trucks are tall. My new camper is okay but my old Jayco eagle always hit the box on my F250. Good Luck. These new trucks have amazing power and are fun to drive.
    2019 Momentum 350G
    2019 Ford F250 CC Lariat Diesel
    Curt 24k Hitch with puck system

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ford - Chevy; always a great debate. My dad had a Chevy dealership, as a result I always bought Chevy, I could get them at cost. When he retired I had to start paying regular prices for trucks. As a Chevy dealer I would ask him which was better. He told me he had no problem supporting/selling Ford trucks. While there are some minor differences in reality they do the same thing. I am now into my first Ford truck, F450. It works well. Because of the huge repair expenses I went ahead and paid for the extended Ford warranty. I don't like insurance as a concept, but on the other hand I don't like $10000 repair bills either.

Only time will tell if I am wise or not.
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast