User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Got a few more replies and now it seems a little more balanced. What I'm seeing here is most people aren't extremely brand loyal but they become "anti brand" after a bad experience. That's totally understandable which might be where I am. It also seems that those bad experiences are not brand specific; it happens to all of them. Which brings me back to where I started; pick the one that feels right. DW likes the Ford because the door chimes are less annoying.... I think she's right 😂

Another thing I just noticed today: Looking through the signatures, I see that Gary and Marcy have the oldest truck in this thread and that's not that old. (I know there are exceptions) Maybe it's a stretch, but at least in this crowd it looks like the days of having a fifteen year old truck are over.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
    There have been quite a few Ford diesel tanks filled with DEF with the filler necks being side by side. The complete fuel system including tanks, fuel lines, and engine fuel components including injectors set up like concrete and have to have a complete body frame off to replace.

Cost--around $13K. Fortunately, some insurance companies will pay for the repairs.

Such a dumb mistake should make a GM owner glad their DEF filler neck is far apart from the diesel fuel filler.
    If you cant tell the blue cap from the green one than you should take a Uber. I wonder how many grab the gas nozzle and put gas in there diesel trucks.

A rolling stone....we're in Tucson, Az. now.
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I say Ford for several reasons. The 6.7L engine is a proven workhorse. Heavier payload, higher HP and TQ than Chevy or GMC and a big reason for me......they have to get under the hood every time they put DEF fluid in. And, as a result of that, I've seen the big messes from where they've spilled it all over the engine bay and I've heard them yelling and cussing under the hood on the other side of the pumps and as I look around the pump they've spilled it all over.

When I had the Super Duty the DEF fill tube is much smaller than the fuel filler and the DEF is bright blue cap.....the fuel cap is black so a person would have to be colored blind to mix them up. But then.......some have put gas in their diesel trucks so I guess it can happen to any knucklehead that's just not paying attention.
    SOLD my 2017 Momentum 376TH being pulled by a 2014 Ford F-350 Lariat, FX-4, Crew Cab, Longbed, Dually. Not pulling the 5er, catch me on my 2013 CVO Harley Ultra Classic.

Map = states that we've stayed at least one night in our RV.

http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/AR...TNTXUTWYsm.jpg

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have 2015 F150, 3.5 Max tow, etc, and it has been almost completely trouble-free through 57K miles so far. Only issue has been with the massive moonroof not working properly and ultimately having to replace the rail system (under warranty). I feel that most new vehicles will be mechanically reliable, have similar features and performance, and it comes down to personal preference on style, interior comfort, etc. For me, I just have never liked GM interiors. They are getting better but still not where Ford and Ram are, in fact I think Ram is the best right now, but again, personal preference. I would add that if you are keeping the vehicle more than a few years, a comprehensive extended warranty is not a bad idea given the complexities of all the electronics on board these days.

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The GM def under the hood has its pros and cons... Yes it is very hard to get the diesel and def mixed up, but it's also inconvenient and a spill can be messy. Having done it for five years I'm ok with it. You learn how to do it and every few weeks it's not a big deal. (But all of that is not an issue anymore)

As for the rest... Let's not be too judgemental about people making mistakes. I have a story about gas in the diesel tank, but let's not go there. Even smart people do dumb things sometimes. That's what makes us human. It makes sense to me to make an effort to not set people up to make a 10 to 20 thousand dollar mistake.

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormtruck2 View Post
    To me the perfect truck is the Super Duty crew cab, (most room) Cummins 6.7 diesel, and Allison transmission.
    Where do I sign up?

We Have a Great Site Team WhittleBurner's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used to test drive Dodge trucks but that was years ago. 2 things I did not like was I found them to be very uncomfortable. The other was the outside mirrors. When you put them out for towing they stick out in a straight line and stick out a mile. Never could get used to that straight line like that. When getting in tight quarters I always worried that they would catch whatever it was that I was going by. At least with GM and Ford you can hit a button and fold them in.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have a 2011 F-250 with the 6.7 I like everything about the truck except that Ford put an undersized fuel tank on the 6 3/4' beds. IIRC it's 26 gallons so I am making a fuel stop about every 200 miles when pulling the 5th wheel.
    Geoff and Cheri
    2011 F250 CC 6.7L
    Firestone Ride Rite Airbags
    Pull Rite 16k SuperGlide
    2018 Reflection 303RLS, Build date 9/2017
    USMC-Retired
    Thin Blue Line - Retired

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Except for the four times it's been to the Ford dealer for "death wobble" problem I love my truck. Very comfortable and quiet (when not wobbling). Anybody else experiencing this problem on either Ford or GM HD trucks after 2017 model year?
    Barb and Blair, retired and loving it
    2017 F250 Lariat Super Cab, Short bed, 4x4, diesel, Tow Technology Bundle, Pullrite 16K Autoslide
    2017 Reflection 307MKS, 3/17 Build
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Both companies put the 10spd in the new trucks for 2020. And while I’m sure it’ll be a good transmission, it’s also the first year behind the big motors and it will see updates. For the record, GM can call it an Allison or whatever, but it’s basically the same as Ford’s because they designed it together.

With the GM, you also get an all new truck for 2020. Not my first choice if buying for reliability. But it does come with the same proven motor as before.

With Ford, the truck and driveline are all proven at this point, with the exception of the trans. BUT, if you got a leftover 2019, the 6spd transmission in those has been around awhile and is very well respected. So really a proven platform, with a now proven 6.7 motor design.

If hedging your bets against future problems, the Ford ESP is as good as it gets. You can essentially warrant the whole truck to 150k. But you do pay for it.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast