User Tag List

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

New Internet Setup For RV

So i've moved on from my weboost setup and decided to experiment with a LTE router setup. With this setup, you need a sim card from an unlimited data only plan or an existing cell/data plan from your carrier. I elected to go with a unlimited data only plan from ATT. The weboost worked, but you had to be close to the inside antenna and i wanted a wifi solution for inside the camper. I watched a few youtube videos with similar setups and i was skeptical. After testing my setup I can say that i'm a true believer now.

Parts:
    ZBT WG3526 LTE Router (similar to the MOFI 4500, but has a 5ghz band, not 5g) MC7455 modem installed
    Unlimited ATT data only plan (get it from ebay)
    LMR-400UF low loss cabling (25 foot outside section and a 5 foot inside section)
    N female to N female coupler ( with dust caps)
    telescoping flag pole
    Yagi directional antenna
    Optional surecall signal meter

The WG3526 is unique because it has a 5ghz channel like many home routers do. During my testing, it double the wifi transmission inside my camper. I was able to get full 5ghz strength from one end of the RV to the other. It has 4 antennas, two 4gLTE antennas one on each side and 1 5ghz and 1 2.4ghz wifi antennas on the back. You can use the router with the factory 4gLTE antennas, but you will not be using the router to its full potential. Connecting an outside directional antenna will drastically increase data speeds. I'm only using one antenna at this time with the router. Its designed for two antennas.

Next, i purchased two high grade low loss LMR-400UF cables. Its like coaxial cable that you would use in your home, but its thicker and made with better materials to combat data loss. The UF stands for ultra flex, because the non UF cabling is very thick and hard to work with. The 25 foot section has N Male connectors on both ends. I have a female coupler attached to the outside of my camper so i can quick disconnect the cabling and store it while on the move. The 5 foot piece runs from the router inside the camper to the other end of the female coupler on the outside. The 5 foot piece has a SMA connector on one end that attaches to the router (same connector that is on the weboost booster) and on the other end is a N Male connection. This end attaches to the female coupler on the outside.

I've been using a painters extension pole for the weboost antenna and just didn't like it. So i purchase a telescoping flag pole from amazon and its a lot better. It doesn't sway in the wind as bad. Its bigger and heavier, but still functional. It came with a ground slip that I attached to the ladder on the RV to slide the pole in and out.

The Yagi directional antenna was also purchased on Amazon. I'm only using one antenna at this time and getting really good speeds. I can't wait to try a two antenna setup.

I found a surecall signal meter on ebay cheap and decided to get it. It came with an adapter to fit the N Male cable from the directional antenna. You don't need this, but it makes it a lot easier to find the closest tower. There are apps you can download that tell you where the towers are to get your started. You can then use a compass and keep moving the pole until you find the tower. Sometimes the closest one isn't the best. I was testing my setup here at the house and using just apps and a compass to find the closest tower. After I received the signal meter, I found another tower in the opposite direction that had a better signal.

LTEfix.com is an excellent website to explore different routers and parts.

I highly recommend going this route if possible. I've attached some links and pics of my setup.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.ebay.com/itm/LMR400UF-SM...72.m2749.l2649

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200127_142210.jpg 
Views:	263 
Size:	96.2 KB 
ID:	24699Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200127_142216.jpg 
Views:	225 
Size:	82.3 KB 
ID:	24700Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200127_142236.jpg 
Views:	267 
Size:	99.5 KB 
ID:	24701

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Inked20200127_142256_LI.jpg 
Views:	313 
Size:	93.1 KB 
ID:	24702Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200127_142312.jpg 
Views:	233 
Size:	99.9 KB 
ID:	24703
    Last edited by Maximus216; 02-02-2020 at 06:46 AM.

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You got one of those 35/mo unlimited plans from ebay? How does it work? What does the bill look like? Is it a contract or a prepaid (that can be stopped at any time like the Togo)? Can't see any reason I can't put one of those SIMs into my Togo when the ATT plan expires, and 35/mo is a good price (basically the same that Togo was charging), but none of those listings seem to provide any info on the type of plan/where they are getting it/terms of the plan/etc.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice Set up. There is nothing like the hight for pulling in a good signal. I especially like that you chose to spend money on a cellular option vs. WiFi arrangement.

I always get a treat out of comparing campground wifi speed vs. cellular. In almost ever case cellular wins out with both speed and there hardly ever seems to be a bandwidth issue.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Overtaxed View Post
    You got one of those 35/mo unlimited plans from ebay? How does it work? What does the bill look like? Is it a contract or a prepaid (that can be stopped at any time like the Togo)? Can't see any reason I can't put one of those SIMs into my Togo when the ATT plan expires, and 35/mo is a good price (basically the same that Togo was charging), but none of those listings seem to provide any info on the type of plan/where they are getting it/terms of the plan/etc.
    Yes, it's working great. Once you pay for it on ebay the seller will give you instructions to log in, add a credit card and change the password. It becomes your account after that and you can cancel any time. Monthly billing. It might work in the Togo. I would give it a try.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    With this router, you can spoof your Sim card and make your cell phone carrier think data is going to a cell phone instead of a Hotspot. So you won't be limited, just throttled when the time comes.
    Last edited by Maximus216; 02-02-2020 at 10:04 AM.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Maximus216 View Post
    With this router, you can spoof your Sim card and make your cell phone carrier think data is going to a cell phone instead of a Hotspot. So you won't be limited, just throttled when the time comes.
    Rather than pull out the sim card would I be able to tether the phone to the router? I already have an unlimited plan(Verizon) and would keep the phone function as well.
    2018 F150 XLT 301a, Screw, 4x4, HDPP, Max tow, Andersen Ultimate w/ Curt Double Lock hitch.
    2019 Grand Design Reflection 150 series 260RD.... SOLD!!!!.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, it's working great. Once you pay for it on ebay the seller will give you instructions to log in, add a credit card and change the password. It becomes your account after that and you can cancel any time. Monthly billing. It might work in the Togo. I would give it a try.
    I was just looking at those plans on Ebay and prices are all over the place. I guess my question is how so if they are all offering the same thing? Or should I not ask, what I don't know won't hurt me.
    2018 F150 XLT 301a, Screw, 4x4, HDPP, Max tow, Andersen Ultimate w/ Curt Double Lock hitch.
    2019 Grand Design Reflection 150 series 260RD.... SOLD!!!!.

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you need to do that with these plans? Are they unlimited phone data only or unlimited data (including hotspot)? If you're gonna go the "spoofing phone data" route, well, then those sims are nothing special, there are a million "unlimited phone data" plans out there, shoot, I already have 2 of them. I just don't want to go down the "spoofing" route if I don't need to, especially since I already have a Togo and that functionality isn't available in the interface. Now, if those plans are unlimited hotspot, and could be used in a Togo, now we've got something worth talking about.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Do you need to do that with these plans? Are they unlimited phone data only or unlimited data (including hotspot)? If you're gonna go the "spoofing phone data" route, well, then those sims are nothing special, there are a million "unlimited phone data" plans out there, shoot, I already have 2 of them. I just don't want to go down the "spoofing" route if I don't need to, especially since I already have a Togo and that functionality isn't available in the interface. Now, if those plans are unlimited hotspot, and could be used in a Togo, now we've got something worth talking about.
    No you don't have to spoof the att unlimited plans. They are data only. Go to eBay and type in att unlimited data and they will pop up. They are around 35 dollars a month

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    They only time you spoof the Sim is when you are using one from your phone that has limited hotspot data

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast