User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Wifi and cell boosters

Wondering if cell booster is relevant in my home state Wyoming through the Bighorn mountains any Wyomingites on here with input Thanks

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I live in Worland, the Big Horns are pretty scarce for cell service and from what I have heard from some friends that have boosters, they aren't worth the money.
    2023 GMC 3500HD CCLB DRW Duramax L5P, Banks Derringer/Idash/CAI 60 gallon fuel transfer tank
    2018 Solitude 310GK with Kodiak disc brakes 4000 lb Dexter springs, frame stiffeners
    RETIRED Maint Supervisor, Certified Welder, ASE Master Tech, Owner tire shop

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have both. The Wifi booster works okay but only in state parks and it still is not the best. The cellular booster that we have in our TT is fantastic here in Colorado. Even in areas where everyone else is getting 1 bar we can set up and get 4 bars and are able to use our Ipad as a hotspot and use Apple TV. Sorry I don't have any experience in Wyoming.
    Chuck & Robin, LuLu and Georgie
    Highlands Ranch, CO
    2019 2670MK
    5.7 Toyota Tundra TRD with Towing Package
    TRD sway bar & Firestone air bags

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What brand of boosters are you using and do you still have the factory Winegard antenna? We have a new 2670 MK and are looking to upgrade or replace the basic Winegard AIR 360 to receive Wi Fi and Cell service. Thanks!

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas RVers View Post
    What brand of boosters are you using and do you still have the factory Winegard antenna? We have a new 2670 MK and are looking to upgrade or replace the basic Winegard AIR 360 to receive Wi Fi and Cell service. Thanks!
    We still have the Winegard antenna that came with the unit. The WiFi Booster we use is the Wi-Fi Comp Pro that I picked up online from Techno RV. Like I said it works okay if you are in a state park that has wi-fi but I have mostly gotten away from using it and just depend on the cellular booster. I purchased a Weboost cellular booster with a directional antenna and it works great. I didn't buy the one for RV's after reading multiple complaints from people about having to be within a foot of the inside antenna to get it to pick up well. I actually purchsed the home/office unit that is designed for a home up to 5000 sq. ft.. I installed the inside antenna in the ceiling next to the wall above the slide out for the recliners. I ran the wiring down the all by the trim and out the bottom of the slide out then I secured the wiring to the frame and came back up into the RV on the other end of the slide out next to the desk. The outside directional antenna wiring I ran up through the floor where the water heater is at to connect to the control box. I devised an extension setup using 2" and 1 1/2" pvc with a rubber cap. When I get to the park I can raise the antenna to approximately 15-20 feet up in the air and I try to locate a cell site and point the antenna in that direction.

We camped at Lathrop State Park last year and they get really poor service down there. I pionted the directional antenna at the San Miguel montains, turned the system on, and had full bars on our phones and were able to steam apple TV using one of our Ipads as the hotspot. My friend was there and couldn't pick up anthing on his system. I actually brought his Jetpack over to our RV and set it inside. He was then able to get online and work as well.

When I pull the trailer out of storage I will post some pics.

Good luck and enjoy the trailer.
    Chuck & Robin, LuLu and Georgie
    Highlands Ranch, CO
    2019 2670MK
    5.7 Toyota Tundra TRD with Towing Package
    TRD sway bar & Firestone air bags

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TX RVers

Quote Originally Posted by cforman61 View Post
    We still have the Winegard antenna that came with the unit. The WiFi Booster we use is the Wi-Fi Comp Pro that I picked up online from Techno RV. Like I said it works okay if you are in a state park that has wi-fi but I have mostly gotten away from using it and just depend on the cellular booster. I purchased a Weboost cellular booster with a directional antenna and it works great. I didn't buy the one for RV's after reading multiple complaints from people about having to be within a foot of the inside antenna to get it to pick up well. I actually purchsed the home/office unit that is designed for a home up to 5000 sq. ft.. I installed the inside antenna in the ceiling next to the wall above the slide out for the recliners. I ran the wiring down the all by the trim and out the bottom of the slide out then I secured the wiring to the frame and came back up into the RV on the other end of the slide out next to the desk. The outside directional antenna wiring I ran up through the floor where the water heater is at to connect to the control box. I devised an extension setup using 2" and 1 1/2" pvc with a rubber cap. When I get to the park I can raise the antenna to approximately 15-20 feet up in the air and I try to locate a cell site and point the antenna in that direction.

We camped at Lathrop State Park last year and they get really poor service down there. I pionted the directional antenna at the San Miguel montains, turned the system on, and had full bars on our phones and were able to steam apple TV using one of our Ipads as the hotspot. My friend was there and couldn't pick up anthing on his system. I actually brought his Jetpack over to our RV and set it inside. He was then able to get online and work as well.

When I pull the trailer out of storage I will post some pics.

Good luck and enjoy the trailer.
    Wow thank you! This is great information and exactly what we were looking, this certainly sounds like the answer for the occasional boon docking as well as traditional campsites. Pictures would be great but if that doesn't work out for your, no worries. Your description of the setup is most excellent!

Thanks, we've been out locally a couple of time and it's been great.

Thanks again for your help and best regards.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cforman61 View Post
    @TexasRVers I too bought the WeBoost made for a large home and have found it effective. I'm happy to see @cforman61 Chuck reporting good experience with it as there are people here who have reported that it doesn't make much difference.

It's really important when using this system to isolate the antennas from each other because if they're positioned to "crosstalk" with each other the system automatically scales back its power accordingly... it's possible to get nearly-zero boost from the WeBoost if the antennas are improperly positioned.

Chuck has avoided or reduced the problem by having his inside directional antenna sending most of its signal down towards the floor, and the outside directional antenna at least 20 feet away sending most of its signal off towards the horizon.

Our need for the device is occasional - we're most often in areas of decent cell service - so I've used that as an excuse to not do the work of a permanent install like Chuck's. When using it I prop the internal antenna against the back wall directly beneath the external antenna, and raise the external antenna at least 20' above the roof. The internal antenna should theoretically emit very little signal out of its top edge, and the external antenna should theoretically emit very little signal out of its bottom edge, but I've seen improvement by putting a piece of tin foil across the top edge of the internal antenna which further improves the isolation between the antennas.

Whatever your decisions / circumstances, the more you can keep these antennas from "seeing" each other's emissions, the better performance you'll get from the system.

When we've needed it the WeBoost has noticeably improved our phone signals, noticeable most importantly in the way they perform and often also noticeable by adding a bar or two to the phone's signal strength display. People expecting it to take their phone from zero or one bar to four bars will often be disappointed.

Another caveat worth mentioning is that the device doesn't make as much difference to the performance of hotspot or mi-fi or other data-only devices. I've noticed improvements, but not dramatic ones, in performance of these devices. I *believe* that's because these devices often have two antennas to improve their performance when chattering with a cell tower, but the WeBoost internal and external antennas are simple single antennas so they blunt the two-antenna advantage of the data devices. If our data through the device is slow we use the hotspot feature of our phones which is sometimes better.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by boyscout; 03-08-2020 at 07:46 AM.
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you BoyScout, absolutely it does I've been doing some home work on the WeBoost and I like what I've heard from you and cforman61. This will probably be my birthday present to myself this year!

Thanks for your feedback.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    cforman61

I have basically the same setup as you, what model of indoor antenna are you using? I have the small desktop antenna but would like to upgrade.

Thanks,
    Tom
    Annie & Tom - Sugar Land, TX
    2017 Reflection 337RLS
    2015 F250 King Ranch 4x4

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The problem I see with wifi boosters is they can only boost the wifi signal you are receiving. If the campground has crappy bandwidth, it really won't help anything.
    2019 Reflection 315RLTS
    2019 Ford F250 Lariat SuperCab PSD SRW

Former set up:
    2013 Kodiak 291RESL
    2017 Ford F150 Platinum