User Tag List

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BB&LAB View Post
    The 20% discharge you mentioned is higher by 10%. But because if lithium batteries are allowed to discharge completely they would need to be replaced, many including myself use 20% as the threshold as a safety margin.
    The BB BMS takes care of this also. The BB are rated for 100 usable amps. I have ran mine to the point of shutting off on more than one occasion (not necessarily intentionally) and have had no issues after recharging.
    2021 Solitude 375 RES-R
    2024 GMC Denali ultimate DRW

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ^^^^^^^^This^^^^^^^^^^^^

Yes, a "lithium battery" can be damaged by draining it completely, but the BB is more than a lithium battery, it is a lithium power system with a built-in BMS that managed charging, safety, discharge, etc. That said, you can use a BB 100% without harming the lithium battery inside the case, because the BMS turns it off before the battery is completely drained... but the system is actually underrated so that you have 100 ah available without damaging the lithium power source inside.

An easy trick with lithium, if you are camping in cold climates and want to always be able to charge, is to install a heating pad under the batteries. The BB can be DISCHARGED (i.e., you can use power from them to run a heating pad) when they are below freezing, but you need to warm them above freezing before charging. So, you can use the battery power to warm them up enough to charge them. If you get a pad with a thermostat built-in, your batteries may draw down slightly faster because they are staying "warm", but they will always be "chargeable". The ones I used stayed between 45 and 65 when I had them turned on.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’ll also echo that you’ll want to watch that tongue weight, I’ve read quite a few threads about the 2670mk being too light on the tongue. 1000lbs on a 8000lbs trailer is 12.5%, good, but something to watch.

I would think it would take some pretty cold temps in order to get the pass though below 32*, it seems like a moot point if the battery is mounted there.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a Hensley Hitch. My tongue weight (using a ShurLine TW scale) is right about 1100 lbs...two batteries, 2 full propane tanks, Hensley installed, and all my stuff in the pass through. I would like to get it somewhere between 950-1000 lbs if possible. As soon as things warm up I am going to rethink my gear in the pass thru to see if there are things I really don't need. For example, I don't have the second air conditioner. I have a pretty heavy 50 amp cord. I bought a 30' power cord that has a 50 amp connector on the trailer end and a 30 amp connector on the supply end. I don't anticipate needing the 50 amp cord, so I can leave that at home, no need to carry both. I am sure there are other items in there as well. There is a brand new set of JT Strongarms still in the box that I need to install. That box is in the pass thru.

I will know better in a few months when I hook up and take it to a CAT scale.

We are retiring in 27 months. We intend to do 3-6 month trips. If an overnight is needed we are planning to use Harvest Hosts or similar, so if I can get by with a single BattleBorn for a night or two between campgrounds I would be happy. As far as cold? That's why my dear wife wanted this camper...so we can escape the cold weather!

I am also considering selling the 2000 watt Yamaha and getting a 3500 watt...right now I am leaning toward the Champion dual fuel...so if we boondock somewhere for a few days we will run on that if allowed.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JKellerJr View Post
    The BB BMS takes care of this also. The BB are rated for 100 usable amps. I have ran mine to the point of shutting off on more than one occasion (not necessarily intentionally) and have had no issues after recharging.
    You are lucky. The prevailing wisdom, is to not run the batteries down to 0. These batteries IMHO are too expensive to risk it.
    Regards, Bruce, Lin An, Kenji & Suki (Our two Akitas)
    2019 Solitude 310GK-R
    2015 Ram 3500 Big Horn CC, TD, Aisin Tranny, DRW

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You are lucky. The prevailing wisdom, is to not run the batteries down to 0. These batteries IMHO are too expensive to risk it.
    The prevailing wisdom according to whom??

Luck has nothing to do with it. The actual manufacturer of these particular batteries says different. The link below states in writing they can be discharged 100% which means you don't have to worry about it. They will shut themselves off when 100% of the usable power has been depleted (specifically when they drop below a certain voltage, I don't remember exactly what that is). I tend to believe them as they are ones that have to warranty them (and yes I asked that also, running to shutoff does not affect the warranty).

With lithium being the wild west in regards to batteries with all the different types and manufactures, home made systems etc. I'm sure there are ones that you need to worry about. But the main reason I paid more for BB is the worry free aspect and being based and assembled in the US (yes parts do come from China, pretty much all lithium cells do). They are also very willing to discuss any concerns or questions over email or just pick up the phone. I had very informative talks with them prior to making my purchase.

Its been 2 1/2 years since the first time I ran them to the point of shut off exactly 2 days after I first installed them and prior to installing a monitoring system. They are rated to give you 100 amp hours prior to shut off (at least when new)

If you personally prefer to add in an additional safety margin that's great. But telling someone that they will have a very expensive paper weight with one mistake like forgetting to disconnect the batteries (especially with GD penchant for draining batteries even with the disconnect) is just not correct. I would never invest that kind of money if they were that fragile.

OP If you have any concerns or questions call or email BB. They will answer the phone and they are very helpful.

https://battlebornbatteries.com/wp-c...-Cut-Sheet.pdf
    Last edited by JKellerJr; 02-04-2020 at 10:32 AM.
    2021 Solitude 375 RES-R

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JKellerJr View Post
    The prevailing wisdom according to whom??

Luck has nothing to do with it. The actual manufacturer of these particular batteries says different. The link below states in writing they can be discharged 100% which means you don't have to worry about it. They will shut themselves off when 100% of the usable power has been depleted (specifically when they drop below a certain voltage, I don't remember exactly what that is). I tend to believe them as they are ones that have to warranty them (and yes I asked that also, running to shutoff does not affect the warranty).

With lithium being the wild west in regards to batteries with all the different types and manufactures, home made systems etc. I'm sure there are ones that you need to worry about. But the main reason I paid more for BB is the worry free aspect and being based and assembled in the US (yes parts do come from China, pretty much all lithium cells do). They are also very willing to discuss any concerns or questions over email or just pick up the phone. I had very informative talks with them prior to making my purchase.

Its been 2 1/2 years since the first time I ran them to the point of shut off exactly 2 days after I first installed them and prior to installing a monitoring system. They are rated to give you 100 amp hours prior to shut off (at least when new)

If you personally prefer to add in an additional safety margin that's great. But telling someone that they will have a very expensive paper weight with one mistake like forgetting to disconnect the batteries (especially with GD penchant for draining batteries even with the disconnect) is just not correct. I would never invest that kind of money if they were that fragile.

OP If you have any concerns or questions call or email BB. They will answer the phone and they are very helpful.

https://battlebornbatteries.com/wp-c...-Cut-Sheet.pdf
    OK I stand corrected, thank you for sharing the link. Although I have BB batteries, my info was based on the early prevailing wisdom and another lithium battery mfg who I guess did not have as robust a BMS as Battle Born, so I have opporated with my BB batteries with that understanding. Although we have never dropped below 45 percent, it is good to know if in the future the level drops to shut down, I won't have a heart attack. So thanks.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK I stand corrected, thank you for sharing the link. Although I have BB batteries, my info was based on the early prevailing wisdom and another lithium battery mfg who I guess did not have as robust a BMS as Battle Born, so I have opporated with my BB batteries with that understanding. Although we have never dropped below 45 percent, it is good to know if in the future the level drops to shut down, I won't have a heart attack. So thanks.
    No problem, Sorry if I sounded preachy. After rereading my response it sounded a little harsh. I got issue here at work I'm dealing with that has my dander up!
    2021 Solitude 375 RES-R

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also am thinking about running a test this summer at the 3 year mark to see how many usable amp hours after a full charge are left prior to shut down. I don't use them as much as some but I still think it will be interesting to see how close to full capacity they still are.
    2021 Solitude 375 RES-R

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello, DuffMan.

I will be installing a couple of BB batteries soon, and was looking at using some holding tank heating pads from Facon. Seems like a perfect solution to charging in cold weather, but somewhere I had read you shouldn't put these on batteries. I think it's likely they are concerned about lead-acid, and that LiFePO4 should be safe. Is this what you're using to warm your batteries? If not, what should I be looking at?

Thanks,

Don
    Don
    2021 Solitude 310GK
    2020 Silverado 3500HD/CC/SB/SRW

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast