User Tag List

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Battle Born lithium batteries

I have a question that maybe someone would have an answer to.

I have 2018 Imagine 2670MK. All loaded up, the tongue weight is close to 1100 lbs. (I have a Hensley hitch installed). I have 2 group 24 lead acid deep cycle batteries. We boondock at a state park for 2 weeks every year in New Hampshire. I run a 2000 watt Yamaha inverter generator for about 3 hours every other day to keep the batteries charged up. The park has "quiet hours" so there are only certain times during the day that generators are allowed to be used.

I noticed that the batteries really never get fully charged, and I think it is because the converter backs off a bit as the batteries get close to full charge. I try not to let the batteries get below 50%, because I heard that if you do, the batteries will be damaged to the point that they just cannot take a full charge anymore.

I am considering swapping out the 2 lead acid batteries for a single lithium 100ah battery, probably a Battle Born. I would install a new converter at the same time. This would save me about 60 lbs of tongue weight, plus I would probably install it in the pass through compartment to keep it locked up. Changing location closer to a axles a couple of feet would also save a few lbs.

I understand that the lithium batteries can be run down to about 20% without any damage, and the lithium battery charger will bring it all the way back to 100% within the few hours that I am allowed to run my generator.
    Has anyone changed over 2 lead acid batteries to a single lithium 100ah? I really do not want to spend the money for a second one if I could have pretty much the same available power.

Opinions?

Thanks!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As long as you are ok with the cost, you have absolutely the right idea.

The great thing about lithium is that they don't need to be fully recharged to be used and the "less than full" charge won't hurt them. If you replace the converter/charger for one that cranks out a lot of current, you can actually recharge the BB much faster than the lead acid without harm as well. Finally, you will have an "equal" amount of power available with the single BB, since the lithium can be used nearly 100%, where a lead acid can only really be used down to the 50% mark without damage. Yes, BB protects against damage when you run them flat... they will shut down before they are hurt, although I recommend about 80% max discharge (20% remaining) on a regular basis. You will get longer life out of it if you don't drop it below about 50%, but we are talking 10-20 years, so it may be a moot point.

Between weight savings (not a lot of the overall pin, but nothing to sneeze at) and the ability to use more and recharge faster, your overall electrical setup will be greatly improved... as long as you are comfortable with the cost.

Of course I'm a bit biased... I'm going to install a much larger BB/Victron system in mine with solar for extended boondocking. It worked wonders in my last rig and I look forward to the benefits int his rig.

Good luck!

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Battle Born lithium batteries

You can actually go lower than 20%.
    At 15% my lithiums are still way above 12v and able to run everything in our Reflection.
    They charge to 100% WAY faster as well.
    Swing by our Grand Design solar group to see lots of examples...

http://www.facebook.com/groups/solar...dgranddesignrv

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by DaveMatthewsBand; 02-02-2020 at 11:28 PM.
    Resistance is Not Futile, It's Voltage Divided by Current.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fixed the link: https://www.facebook.com/groups/sola...granddesignrv/

I realize I wasn't clear and Yes, you can run BBs down to 0... because they are so well protected. I personally wouldn't do it unless I had to, but I know they can take it.

Thanks for the group recommendation... just joined and look forward to the tips and tricks I find!

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    FYI - just be aware that you shouldn't charge lithiums when near or below freezing. You can use them, but charging at low temps will greatly shorten their life.....
    Is that tongue weight including the parts of the hitch that stay on the trailer? I ask because 2670MK can have a problem with being too light on the tongue, so most are trying to figure out how to add weight up front. Your Hensley will of course prevent sway (just like my ProPride), but you may begin to see other uncomfortable effects, even if not dangerous, with too little up front.
    2017 Imagine 2670MK
    2012 F-150 SCrew, Eco, 4x4 6.5 box
    Max. Tow, HD Payload, Airbags, ProPride hitch
    (Previous: Jayco 26.5RLS Fifth, Revolution Pinbox)

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sande005 View Post
    FYI - just be aware that you shouldn't charge lithiums when near or below freezing. You can use them, but charging at low temps will greatly shorten their life.....
    Is that tongue weight including the parts of the hitch that stay on the trailer? I ask because 2670MK can have a problem with being too light on the tongue, so most are trying to figure out how to add weight up front. Your Hensley will of course prevent sway (just like my ProPride), but you may begin to see other uncomfortable effects, even if not dangerous, with too little up front.
    The BMS in the BB will protect against this also. They wont allow a charge if its too cold. The BB (and I'm sure a few others) are pretty much worry free. The management system does the thinking.
    2021 Solitude 375 RES-R
    2024 GMC Denali ultimate DRW

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Our Battleborn batteries have built in battery management systems that prevents them from charging when too cold or too hot.

2017 Reflection 26RL "Mili"
    2016 Ford F250 Extended Cab Gas Engine "Buck" (the truck)

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is a chart to get the right converter. KEN
    Backpacker and tent camper all my life, including BSA as a kid and adult.
    Motorcycle trips across the USA with a tent - 1978 to Present.
    02-10-2005 - 2002 F350 SWD PSD and 2003 Citation 10'8S mostly for Crater Lake Ski Patrol.
    10-29-2015 - 2016 Grand Design 380TH. It's HUGE compared to a camper.
    10-19-2018 - traded truck for a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie CC 4 X 4 Long Box.
    03-16-2019 - Traded Momentum for a New 2018 374TH-R Solitude
    FULL TIME RV'er Nov 2021

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK, for the system you have now the stock WFCO converter is a lousy battery charger for running off a generator. It doesn't go into bulk mode long enough if it goes in at all. Three trailers ago I bought a deck-mount IOTA (many swear by Progressive Dynamics) converter. It now resides inside the hookup center in the pass-through. The stock WFCO is still installed but turned off at its circuit breaker. Between 200W of portable solar (soon to be 400W) and dual 6V batteries I needed the generator 3 times in 2 weeks only because of several days of rain. And yes, the campground we stayed at had limited generator hours.
    2019 F-250 Supercab
    2017 Imagine 2650RK

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not completely true, because while charging below 32 degrees would adversely affect lithium batteries, they come with internal BMS (battery management system) that will shut down any charging if the core temp drops below freezing. Because of the BMS while ther is no concern with damaging the batteries, understand the batteries will not be receiving a charge until the core temp rises above 32 degrees.

To the OP what you have identified are excellent reasons to go with lithium batteries if you can and/or willing to spend the higher price tag. The 20% discharge you mentioned is higher by 10%. But because if lithium batteries are allowed to discharge completely they would need to be replaced, many including myself use 20% as the threshold as a safety margin.
    Regards, Bruce, Lin An, Kenji & Suki (Our two Akitas)
    2019 Solitude 310GK-R
    2015 Ram 3500 Big Horn CC, TD, Aisin Tranny, DRW

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast