User Tag List

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by orbiker View Post
    I'm trying to understand the purpose of the battery isolator.
    Looking at the battery isolator you linked, it has big poles for the chassis battery and the coach battery. It seems to me, that is for a motorhome or class C.

Thanks, KEN
    I have had my batteries installed for 2 1/2 years and pulled for plenty of 12 hour plus straight days and do not have an isolator. I also have hooked up and left with fully depleted batteries. Got me nervous so I just called BB and asked. They said it wasn't needed. The charge from a tow vehicle is through such a small wire you'll never pull enough to hurt the alternator. I'm not familiar enough with how the charging system on the trucks work but they have to limit the amount that can be pushed through that wire, it is not very big. Some where on here somebody tested the power coming from their truck and it was about 10 amps if I remember correctly.
    2021 Solitude 375 RES-R
    2024 GMC Denali ultimate DRW

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ken, that’s good information to know. When I called and was sold the isolator, it was for our class C. I presumed the information would hold for a truck/camper setup, but your information on the wire size is correct... and I hadn’t considered it. The smaller the wire, the less current you can pull through it and the more loss you have. That is likely the saving grace for those who go lithium and don’t do anything with their vehicle charge line.

That said, I have seen where a dedicated charge line was run using large cable and Anderson connectors from a second alternator or just a HO alternator. In a case like that, I believe the isolator would be of value, since you could be charging in the hundreds of amps, rather than tens of amps.

I apologize for the worry. I’m glad you called and shared the info... I learned a bit more today as well.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DuffMan View Post
    Ken, that’s good information to know. When I called and was sold the isolator, it was for our class C. I presumed the information would hold for a truck/camper setup, but your information on the wire size is correct... and I hadn’t considered it. The smaller the wire, the less current you can pull through it and the more loss you have. That is likely the saving grace for those who go lithium and don’t do anything with their vehicle charge line.

That said, I have seen where a dedicated charge line was run using large cable and Anderson connectors from a second alternator or just a HO alternator. In a case like that, I believe the isolator would be of value, since you could be charging in the hundreds of amps, rather than tens of amps.

I apologize for the worry. I’m glad you called and shared the info... I learned a bit more today as well.
    Hey were all learning, I did get a little nervous though

With a dedicated charge line I could definitely see a use depending on how many batteries you had. I would also be concerned on charge rate. BB recommends charging at 50% of capacity. They will take a 100% but it shortens the life of the battery
    2021 Solitude 375 RES-R
    2024 GMC Denali ultimate DRW

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep, you are spot-on. I'm unaware of how to limit current on that particular charge circuit. I guess it just pays to have enough BBs to absorb whatever your alternator will put out if using a large cable, dedicated charge circuit. lol!

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JKellerJr View Post
    I have had my batteries installed for 2 1/2 years and pulled for plenty of 12 hour plus straight days and do not have an isolator. I also have hooked up and left with fully depleted batteries. Got me nervous so I just called BB and asked. They said it wasn't needed. The charge from a tow vehicle is through such a small wire you'll never pull enough to hurt the alternator. I'm not familiar enough with how the charging system on the trucks work but they have to limit the amount that can be pushed through that wire, it is not very big. Some where on here somebody tested the power coming from their truck and it was about 10 amps if I remember correctly.
    Thanks Keller
    I'm buying enough stuff. Not having to buy an extra gadget is great.

I bought 2 Aims Lithium batteries. I haven't put them in the Solitude yet. No boondockin' till May. KEN
    Backpacker and tent camper all my life, including BSA as a kid and adult.
    Motorcycle trips across the USA with a tent - 1978 to Present.
    02-10-2005 - 2002 F350 SWD PSD and 2003 Citation 10'8S mostly for Crater Lake Ski Patrol.
    10-29-2015 - 2016 Grand Design 380TH. It's HUGE compared to a camper.
    10-19-2018 - traded truck for a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie CC 4 X 4 Long Box.
    03-16-2019 - Traded Momentum for a New 2018 374TH-R Solitude
    FULL TIME RV'er Nov 2021

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Keller

I bought 2 Aims Lithium batteries. I haven't put them in the Solitude yet. No boondockin' till May. KEN
    Orbiker....Just curious why yo bought the Aims Lithium batteries? Lithium is on my list just cringe when I look at the price tag of $950+ each.
    Brian-USMC Retired
    2019 Reflection 297RSTS
    2019 RAM 3500 Laramie MegaCab-4x4 DRW-AISIN
    Propride 3P Hitch
    Spokane, WA

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by reeldirtydawg View Post
    Orbiker....Just curious why yo bought the Aims Lithium batteries? Lithium is on my list just cringe when I look at the price tag of $950+ each.
    I compared and compared many of the Lithium batteries including the weight for the last 6 months. All the specification that all the companies listed are very close to the same.
    Saving $200.00 x 2 is part of the equation also. The 10 year warranty is still there and Expected Cycle Life of >4800 cycles is there too.

I don't know a ton of info about lithium batteries, but it seems to me maybe Battle Born is thinking they are better and jacking up their price a bit too much.

I bought our Aims Lithium batteries from The Inverter Store for $749 each and $0.10 each for shipping, so 80 cents less then $1500.00. KEN
    Backpacker and tent camper all my life, including BSA as a kid and adult.
    Motorcycle trips across the USA with a tent - 1978 to Present.
    02-10-2005 - 2002 F350 SWD PSD and 2003 Citation 10'8S mostly for Crater Lake Ski Patrol.
    10-29-2015 - 2016 Grand Design 380TH. It's HUGE compared to a camper.
    10-19-2018 - traded truck for a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie CC 4 X 4 Long Box.
    03-16-2019 - Traded Momentum for a New 2018 374TH-R Solitude
    FULL TIME RV'er Nov 2021

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I compared and compared many of the Lithium batteries including the weight for the last 6 months. All the specification that all the companies listed are very close to the same.
    Saving $200.00 x 2 is part of the equation also. The 10 year warranty is still there and Expected Cycle Life of >4800 cycles is there too.

I don't know a ton of info about lithium batteries, but it seems to me maybe Battle Born is thinking they are better and jacking up their price a bit too much.

I bought our Aims Lithium batteries from The Inverter Store for $749 each and $0.10 each for shipping, so 80 cents less then $1500.00. KEN
    Thanks for sharing. I keep thinking lithium battery prices will come down as more companies start to make them, but Battle Born really has not reduced their prices at all. Thanks for providing another option.
    Brian-USMC Retired
    2019 Reflection 297RSTS
    Propride 3P Hitch
    Spokane, WA

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know this thread is kind of old but if anybody else is still out there looking at it is there any thoughts on the Safari 1300 UT lithium battery at Costco for $700 on sale. Anywhere else it looks like it’s $900.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lance,

Great question, will check them out at our local Costco on my next visit. I am still in the hunt for lithium batteries and need to pull the trigger by the end of April 2020.
    Brian-USMC Retired
    2019 Reflection 297RSTS
    Propride 3P Hitch
    Spokane, WA

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast