User Tag List

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Grand Canyon winter camping

We’re doing southern Arizona for a couple more weeks but thinking about doing Grand Canyon south rim. I’d winterize our 29RS anyway because we’ll be headed back to Michigan from there. If you’ve done it how was the cold, Mather campground, and winter views?
    Thanks

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There will be snow so it should be cold. Won't be a problem just run the heater. I have stayed at Williams Az. Nice town. There is a camp ground next to the Grand Canyon train. You can ride the train to the canyon. I didn't do that but I wish I had. Its a long way to the canyon from Williams. I have also stayed in Flagstaff but Williams is the best. Take a ride to Sedona just south of Williams. Nice ride I just took the truck.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Any view of the Grand Canyon is incredible. Grand Canyon Railway RV Park in Williams is very nice.
    2020 Reflection 320MKS
    Ford F350 Platinum 6.7L, SRW
    Curt A16 Hitch
    Keller, TX

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We are staying at the KOA in Williams in April, never been there before but looking forward to it.
    2019 Momentum 395
    2018 Ram 3500 DRW 4.10 AISIN

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We stayed at Grand Canyon Trailer Village (FHU) right next to Mather Campground in February of 2016. There was only a small amount of snow on the ground in areas that never saw the sun. There could also be a foot of snow on the ground everywhere. Either way, it will be cold. We used a heated water hose and had no issues. The campground and the entire park were relatively uncrowded. I though it was a perfect time to visit and would not hesitate to go back in the winter. As a matter of fact, you have inspired me. I'm looking at my schedule right now to see if there is a time that I could get away in the next month!
    2022 F450 Platinum
    B & W Companion
    2024 Brinkley Model Z 3610

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Will be there in April as well 6-9 at mather campground. hoping for sunshine and warm for the kids first time for us as well!

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the responses. Last night it got down to 17 degrees in Naco on the Mexico boarder. I didn’t plan for that cold and just had the fireplace on no furnace. The hose froze and I don’t know what in the belly, but end of the day up to 45 and no leaks. So with winterizing before we get to Grand Canyon we shouldn’t have a problem.

Side note we’ve been on the road from Michigan for 2.5 weeks. Did Rockport TX, Big Bend, Portal AZ, and now Naco. We have a private campground in Tucson, and then 4 days in Catalina State park and 4 days in lost Dutchman. I had to check regularly for the openings in the state park sites and call several private campground s in Tucson but overall last minute planning is working out pretty good.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We stayed in the park last April. Not to cold,we were lucky to get a site due to spring break.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The KOA north of Williams is open year round I am pretty sure, we were just that way mid December. Williams is a nice town, be sure to check out Bearizona while you're there. It wasn't too cold while we were there, chilly over night and 50s during the day. The afternoon sun warms things right up. There is a lot to do around that area, have fun!