User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jim - your idea might work . . . if we could somehow group similar projects by different members.

I was thinking that the search tool could do something like this, but it draws in all sorts of different things because it is just a word search. For example, I tried searching on "Kantleak" and found links to all sorts of topics including greased brakes . For someone who has not been through all those discussions, this has to be very confusing.

Getting pictures and comments into the same document can be very useful for someone trying to follow what others have done before. I use Powerpoint (because I am most familiar with this . . . but I think that any word processing software could work equally well) and then post a pdf. The problem with this method is that the resolution of the pictures has to be significantly reduced to get a multi picture pdf small enough to post.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    That looks like a great tool Jim. I just wish I had more motivation to do one myself. I get so many requests for a more detailed "How To" on my disc brake install or the solar install that would work well I think.
    Paul "Poppy" and Deb Cervone
    2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    2021 Imagine XLS 17MKE - SOLD ; 2015 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS - SOLD
    2016 GMC Denali 3500HD SRW Duramax/Allison CC 4x4; Tire Minder TPMS

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm glad to see others wanting a picture album location. I contacted Chris back in December, trying to come up with something like that.

Unfortunately I don't think the direction Chris wanted to go would work well, or maybe I misunderstood. What I was thinking about was having an a place where different albums could be created within something like a folder and no dialog except folder titles and album titles.

Example:
    Folder> "Greased Brake Pictures"
    Album> "Pats Greased Brakes"
    Album>"Jim's Greased Brakes"
    etc.
    Then another folder could be created like,
    Folder> "Spring Pictures"
    Album>"1"
    Album>"2"
    Then as Jim said, people could link to the Albums/Pictures in the threads.

I went to the vBulletin web site (the people who do the engine for the forum) and it looks like the engine being used in the forum may not have the capabilities I was asking for. I may be wrong. It may require a different version of vBulletin.

I used the Album like Jim tested early last year for a post that required a lot of pictures, but its under may name and not easy to go lookup something all "Greased Brake Pictures" in the forum for all users.

So maybe we can come up with a hybrid idea. Something like creating an album under your own Member album location and then link to that album from something like a folder in the Reference Library or something similar to that. Basically, some way to group all the links to greased brake pictures albums in one locations. Not sure how to do this... Ideas?

I requested the Reference Library early last year because of all the cool docs I was seeing in the forum but always had a hard time finding. Posting in the Reference Library requires Administrator approval before it gets posted. The problems I've had posting there was it never showed up so I guess it didn't get approved. If I recall I also requested from admins to put some kind of sticky in the Reference Library that has instructions but never heard back.

Hope this all makes sense,
    Pat

Here is my conversation on trying to get a Picure Album Location (I was still waiting on another response from Chris):
    "
    Re: Group Photo FolderAlbums for Greased Brakes

Originally Posted by chris
    Pat,
    Do you think a separate section dedicated to brakes would suffice? I could put it under the General Discussion forum.
    Thanks
    Chris

Originally Posted by patwardell
    Hi Chris,

I have been doing some work off forum with with Rob (Cate&Rob), Jim (TusconJim) and TomHaycraft on Greasy Brake issues and some other GD issues that we are analyzing.

I have been trying to look at pictures of Greasy Brakes issues to try to get an idea of common trends. The problem is trying to find pictures that are all over the place and in different threads and then try to correlate the pictures to a model and year.

I was curious if there was a way to have common folder like "Greased Brakes Photos" that site sponsors could create an album in that they could put their greased brake pictures in only. I was thinking a standard naming convention for the albums so they could be grouped. Something like "YYYY-MM(Build Date) Reflection 303RLS 8000(miles) Member" for example. It would be nice if it could be searchable. If people put their pics in these albums and references them with a link it could possible decrease disk space usage.

Another idea would be a general "Grouped Photos" and another folder could be created under that for different themes and then albums in the specific themes.

Is something like this possible? Pros and Cons? Options? Your thoughts? FYI, I was an IT Engineer and also one of the first Web Masters at HP back when there was only HTML.

Thanks in advance for you consideration. I will take your response back to Rob, Jim and Tom.

Thanks,
    Pat Wardell

Hey Chris,

Thanks for the reply.

If I'm understanding correctly, I'm not really looking for another place for dialog and threads. Looking for a place to put photos in a centralized location for a specific subject (greased brakes) that are grouped together so the pictures can be grouped by person and RV model like in a folder or an album. Don't want dialog just pictures.

The problem is that there are so many greased brakes threads that it is almost impossible to look at the photos and categorize them to look for trends or identify key issues. We may present finding to GD management.

I hope this is making sense? If not, I will try to clarify further. You have any other ideas?

FYI, I accidentally just replied to message initially in email..... sorry. Old habits die hard.

Again Thanks,
    Pat
    "
    Pat&Marlene Gyrogearloose - 2010 Itasca Meridian 34y - 6.7 w/Allison 6spd - Jeep Wrangler Rubicon - previous Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Poppy's 5th Wheel View Post
    That looks like a great tool Jim. I just wish I had more motivation to do one myself. I get so many requests for a more detailed "How To" on my disc brake install or the solar install that would work well I think.
    Paul - when you were doing your disc brake project, I was collecting your pictures and your post comments with a plan to splice these into a storyline with comments like I have done with Kantkeak repair etc. (I think I mentioned this to you and had your OK) . . . but, I soon realized that even at minimum picture resolution, this pdf was going to be way too big to post on the forum. I stil think pictures with associated comments would be the way to capture the project for future reference . . . but have absolutely no idea how to do that from a website perspective.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i did some playing around with creating a blog.

Here is a concept for collecting comments, data and photos, using Jim's Photo Album idea and a Blog

With a Blog a primary story is created and stays at the top of the blog. Others can then comment on the blog.

A Blog could be created and call something like Greased Brakes and the story of the Blog is what to put in the Comments of the Blog. Also a specific Tag could be put in place for the Blog.
    The user can create a Photo Album of their Greased Brakes in their member area. This allows for more pictures.

A blog can be managed by the creator, so it would not require an Admin to manage. An Admin can probably assign other user to help manage the Blog. There may be an issue with loosing the data if the user leaves the forum (account no longer available). Maybe a photos user could be created.

The Blog story could request specific information for the comments like:
    • Basic description of the issue
    • RV Model
    • RV Year
    • Failure Year-Month
    • Other Specifics
    • Hyperlink to Members Brakes Photo Album
    • Request others to not to reply to the comments

The Blog can then be searched with an advanced search in Blog Comments only and specify the Tag to identify the correct Blog.

So a search could be done with:

• Keywords: "Reflections 303rls" 2015
    • Tag: "Greased Brakes"
    • Select Dates of the Last year

This should get you all the 2015 Reflection 303rls that have posted brake issues in the Blog in the last year.

Now you have something measurable, and the ability to look at all the photos from the group found.

Just found a potential issue with this idea. The comments in the blog don't have a hyperlink so the users brake issues comments can't be posted in a forum thread for example, unless copied and pasted from the Blog. If the Member wanted to show their pictures of their brake issues only in the forum they could use the link to their Photo Album.

Anyway just an idea,
    Pat
    Pat&Marlene Gyrogearloose - 2010 Itasca Meridian 34y - 6.7 w/Allison 6spd - Jeep Wrangler Rubicon - previous Reflection 303RLS

Rolling Along
    Walthourville, GA which is just outside of Hinesville, GA home of the 3rd Infantry Division
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    FWIW....a very good software tool I discovered and had my former employer adopt corporation wide (i.e. it was a software that came with every PC deployment) is called SnagIt by Tech Smith. And no - I'm not getting kick backs from them. It can be a pretty powerful tool if one was to use all its capabilities. 100% of the photos I've published here were run through SnagIt. It not only does screen captures, but also does video captures and editing. A lot of companies use SnagIt for "How To" video captures to illustrate things like how to do a file search in M$ Windows. Not only does the video illustrate the mouse movement, but an audio track can be laid down for verbal instructions. Anyhow.....it's pretty cheap for what it does.

As for the OP concerning the innards of our RV's, it's not surprising that GD considers any pictures/video/illustrations of their products during the design and/or manufacturing process as intellectual property. IMHO, there's only one way around this and that's reverse engineering. To wit: At the Rally in Goshen this year, we ask for a volunteer. Then we summarily de-construct their RV down to the component level, all the while video taping and photographing the de-construction. This would give us all we'd need to know about where not to drill or wiring runs, etc.

Whatcha think??

Tom

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GENESIS View Post
    FWIW....a very good software tool I discovered and had my former employer adopt corporation wide (i.e. it was a software that came with every PC deployment) is called SnagIt by Tech Smith. And no - I'm not getting kick backs from them. It can be a pretty powerful tool if one was to use all its capabilities. 100% of the photos I've published here were run through SnagIt. It not only does screen captures, but also does video captures and editing. A lot of companies use SnagIt for "How To" video captures to illustrate things like how to do a file search in M$ Windows. Not only does the video illustrate the mouse movement, but an audio track can be laid down for verbal instructions. Anyhow.....it's pretty cheap for what it does.

As for the OP concerning the innards of our RV's, it's not surprising that GD considers any pictures/video/illustrations of their products during the design and/or manufacturing process as intellectual property. IMHO, there's only one way around this and that's reverse engineering. To wit: At the Rally in Goshen this year, we ask for a volunteer. Then we summarily de-construct their RV down to the component level, all the while video taping and photographing the de-construction. This would give us all we'd need to know about where not to drill or wiring runs, etc.

Whatcha think??

Tom
    I think they frown on taking photos during plant tours
    2018 Freedom Elite 24FE, 2 Yorkies, and my wife MARILYN, HAM call K0LCB. Traveling around this great country, making friends and seeing lot of beautiful and interesting places

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Regarding the reference library. Those posts do require approval before being available for viewing. I was added as a moderator this week and approved two articles that had been in queue for quite a while. Go ahead and use this section if you'd like and I'll try and stay on top of the approval process. If you post something and don't see it approved in a timely manner, send me a PM. The system does not flag the moderators when a post is pending. Please use good judgment about posting copyrighted information.

Jim

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12