User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know it looks tight, when the cup was turned around the front of the 5er could hit the truck cab on a sharp turn when I practice backing up. I flipped it to current setting and can now go 90 without hitting in the bed and the cab is cleared.

Not sure of what I needed when I got it. I just have been playing with it to ride level, not hit my cab and find the most turning capability.
    I did change the factory bolt setting where it attached to trailer, it rode high in the front and would have rode hard on the rear axle on the 5er.
    Would appreciate any other info on what I could do.
    Bob and Cheryl, Puka the doodle
    2018 Ram 2500 Crew,Diesel,4x4
    2016 Reflection 27RL
    2012 Palomino 6.5 camper

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BreakfastinAmerica View Post
    I know it looks tight, when the cup was turned around the front of the 5er could hit the truck cab on a sharp turn when I practice backing up. I flipped it to current setting and can now go 90 without hitting in the bed and the cab is cleared.

Not sure of what I needed when I got it. I just have been playing with it to ride level, not hit my cab and find the most turning capability.
    I did change the factory bolt setting where it attached to trailer, it rode high in the front and would have rode hard on the rear axle on the 5er.
    Would appreciate any other info on what I could do.
    Why short bed trucks should not be used to tow 5th wheels. That geometry is off... That pin needs to be in front of the rear axle.
    2017 F350 Lariat, Dual rear wheels
    2017 GD 311BHS

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thats great information Hobo Bill, thank you. This might not be as big of an issue as I think it is, which is great news!

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by It's about time View Post
    Thats great information Hobo Bill, thank you. This might not be as big of an issue as I think it is, which is great news!
    Welcome to the fun world of matching a truck to an RV. I have an older Ram 2500 with a 29RS. I do have the long bed though. I have not had any issue with the height of the 5er matching up to the truck at all. If you have issues with the rails it will be going over bumpy roads where one side is higher than the other. I think they have upped the payload capacity of the newer trucks, but I know that with a pin weight of 1481, I am a little over on my payload but have a lot of room on my axle weights. Enjoy the new rig.
    2019 29rs
    2007 Ram diesel, 4x4 long bed
    CDL with tanker, hazmat, emergency vehicle, and bus endorsements

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, curiosity got the better of me so I loaded 2000 pounds of free weights into the bed of my pickup near where the pin should be to see what effect it would have on the bed rail height. I found 2000 lbs equalled four inches of drop in the height of the tailgate, 1000 lbs equaled a two inch drop. So for every 500lbs of weight in the bed my truck tailgate height lowers one inch. It took moving two tons of weights to find out, but now I know!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fullsizeoutput_1623.jpeg 
Views:	13 
Size:	616.1 KB 
ID:	25286
    Last edited by It's about time; 03-13-2020 at 01:53 AM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lol...that must have been a lot of work, but now you know.
    Inquiring minds want to know....where did you get all the weights?
    People keep telling me to follow my dreams...so I went back to bed

2019 303rls
    2017 GMC 2500hd ccsb 2wd 6.0 gas
    Andersen ultimate rail mount hitch

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by avf100 View Post
    Lol...that must have been a lot of work, but now you know.
    Inquiring minds want to know....where did you get all the weights?
    It was like the answer to the question of how do you eat an elephant - One piece at a time....

The place I work had them. It took every piece they had but I got it done without damaging the truck or me!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, curiosity got the better of me so I loaded 2000 pounds of free weights into the bed of my pickup near where the pin should be to see what effect it would have on the bed rail height. I found 2000 lbs equalled four inches of drop in the height of the tailgate, 1000 lbs equaled a two inch drop. So for every 500lbs of weight in the bed my truck tailgate height lowers one inch. It took moving two tons of weights to find out, but now I know!

I did the same thing ,,, 3,000 lbs made my truck squat almost 4 inches ... which for me was very good because I could now raise my hitch up several inches - gain bed rail clearance - and not be towing "nose high" .
    Hobo Bill
    From Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
    Traveling Full Time Across the US
    2019 Reflection 5th Wheel 337RLS
    2007 Dodge Ram 3500 DRW Cummins 6.7 Turbo Diesel
    Goodrich T/A KO2 All Terrain Tires
    Reese RP30081 20K
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

LOL OMG that's awesome! To quote Blazing Saddles..."we don't need no stinkin Cat Scales" Nice job it's about time.
    2019 Solitude 375RES Onan 5500 Splendide W/D Samsung res. fridge
    2020 Ford F450 Platinum dually 6.7L 4:30 gears
    B&W Companion for Ford puck system 20K lbs
    Jeff

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You do know that the bed and trailer never change unless you raise and lower the hitch right?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast