User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Bone View Post
    You do know that the bed and trailer never change unless you raise and lower the hitch right?
    Yep, generally speaking. They do become more aquatinted going in and out of driveways, parking lots and the like though. What I was looking for was how much the pin weight of the trailer would lower my bedrail height in order to get an idea what the clearance will be between the weighted down bed and the trailer in order to find out if I could keep both truck and trailer level and still have enough clearance between the bedrails and the trailer. With the truck bed weighted down the bed was spot on level. Now I know that I will have plenty of room between truck and trailer and I can use the adjustments in the hitch and Pin to make it what I want. In other words, I'm a happy camper.

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you have that much squat in your truck you need to add air suspension to the rear of the truck. I had to do that with my truck. I found this out after I installed my B&W hitch. What a pain. I had all the hitch bolts torqued and the hitch was finished. Then I had to remove the outer plates because there was a bolt that went behind the plate for the air bags. The bolts for the hitch were a pain to get to a second time. When I hitch up now the truck sits level. Truck to trailer is about 6" I run about 60 psi in the bags. Helps with the ride when I am unloaded also.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Bone View Post
    I think you are looking at something wrong.
    First the hitch and pin box are fixed in the truck. There are adjustments you can make to raise the hitch or pin box for the 6' clearance.
    Squat is something different. Squat has nothing to do with the clearance with the truck bed.
    You may squat if you put a load in the bed. In that case only thing you can do is add air bags to the truck. I thought Dodge came with air ride already?
    It's always best to drive with the truck level just like the trailer. If you just camp than you don't need the onboard compressor but if you travel like i do than you need the onboard air. I have had to hook up in the rain before and its nice to air up without getting wet.
    Actually the OP is thinking correctly. Bed squat lowers the bed rail height overall, then being able to adjust the hitch up from there gives you a method to get you your wanted bed rail clearance. I am working on the same issue, only with the new 2020 F350 They have lowered their trucks about 2" (changed lift block height) , but I have not confirmed the squat for their progressive springs (unchanged from 2019). Most brands are designed to have a level truck when loaded near max payload. My 04 F350 measures about 55" from the ground to top of rail empty at tailgate , when loaded I get about 3 inches of squat at the rear tailgate - gives me 7" clear. New trucks are 58" at tailgate (3 inches higher) - assuming the same 3" squat that calculates to roughly 3 to 4" clear at my current hitch settings . I can adjust my hitch up about 2" so I too may need to lift my trailer. I am upgrading to 16" tires on the trailer from 15". BTW I am running about 2" nose high currently and would like to reduce that too.

Hope this helps

On Edit - he may or may not need an air suspension depending on his GVW and RAWR - IE what weight capacity he has left in the stock coil springs and axle once trailer is loaded. He wont know until he begins towing an sees how much the truck rolls and bounces. With coils the type/brand/condition of shocks will make a huge difference in towing performance. Believe me - I have been there.
    Last edited by powerscol; 03-14-2020 at 10:34 AM.
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for the thoughts and ideas. My truck has a rake (the tail of the truck sits higher than the front) to it unloaded that is stock from the factory. When loaded with the 2000 lbs I put a level on the side bed rail and it was spot on level so I do not believe I will need airbags, although I'm sure they would help with the ride when unloaded as mentioned. My payload is 3100 lbs plus and my rear axle weight is over 6000 lbs so I am well within specs. The real test will be when I have everything hooked up of course, but it is reassuring that the numbers and measurements are all lining up.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123