User Tag List

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question 2000W Generator for 2800BH Air Conditioning?

I currently have the Cabelas 3800/4750w generator with remote start. I love that it handles everything on the trailer and starts up without me even leaving the trailer. I dont like how big and bulky and load it is. Takes 2 of us to move it anywhere.
    So I have been looking at those little 2000w ones from honda, yamaha, etc... While significantly more expensive, they are much smaller and quieter. What I want to know is will they run the AC unit on my trailer? Not sure what Watts my AC draws when starting. Anybody else using them?

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a generic 2000W generator that I used on my old trailer for boondocking. It would not even begin to run my AC unit. A hair dryer and any other small appliance (toaster) on at the same time shut it down.
    Bob (retired) & Vicki
    Scuba Diver
    US ARMY Vet (Go Cav!)
    2019 Reflection 31MB
    2019 Chevy 2500HD LT Crew Cab Gasser

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    2000 watts is around 16 amps. They likely have a 15 amp breaker on the generator. I won't tell you it is impossible, you could have a 13k and put a hard start capacitor with nothing else on and maybe get it to work but your experience isn't going to be a good one if you expect to run air with that generator. You really need a little more juice if you want to run air. You could hook two up in parallel, its only money
    2019 Momentum 395
    2018 Ram 3500 DRW 4.10 AISIN

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use 2 of the Honda 2200 generators. I link them together when I use the a/c, I have never tried to run it on only one generator. The majority of the time I am only running one. I did install remote shut offs on each of them.

One cool thing I did with my 2800 was to remove the outside refrigerator, the 2 generators fit in its place.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190420_173112.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	101.0 KB 
ID:	24750
    2019 2800bh
    2018 Silverado 1500

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The AC runs just fine on a single 2000w generator if you install an East Start to significantly reduce the startup amps. I’ve done so for several years on 13.5 and 15k ACs. https://www.microair.net/products/ea...nt=30176048267

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you add the Micro Aire Easy Start unit to your A/C I’m pretty sure a quality 2,000 watt generator will run it just fine. I put them on both of our 15K units and can run them both with our 3,400 watt Champion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The best bang for your buck is a Champion 3500 inverter generator. They make them with or without remote controls for less than $1K. I like to say the company is very customer oriented, and they're 90% as good as the Honda/Yamaha comparable unit for 40% of the cost. They can also be bought online at many different sources. Advance Auto Parts also sells'em.

You could also go with two of the Champion 2000 watt inverter generators and link them together. You could easier move them, and one unit can be run if you're not running the a/c unit.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
    The best bang for your buck is a Champion 3500 inverter generator. They make them with or without remote controls for less than $1K. I like to say the company is very customer oriented, and they're 90% as good as the Honda/Yamaha comparable unit for 40% of the cost. They can also be bought online at many different sources. Advance Auto Parts also sells'em.

You could also go with two of the Champion 2000 watt inverter generators and link them together. You could easier move them, and one unit can be run if you're not running the a/c unit.
    What's the sound like on those Champions? In the past they were only slightly quieter than a Jumbo jet taking off. Most often building contractors use them since they don't care about noise. If you have another RV within a couple hundreds yards of you they might not be so happy.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    2018 Dodge 3500 DRW
    2019 Reflection 337RLS

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cummins generators.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	48.9 KB 
ID:	24769
    This is what we believe will serve the camper well. Happy Camping
    Scott M. Barlag
    Burns Harbor, IN

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a Champion 3100 with remote start and I have to say that I love that remote start. We mostly dry camp and it's great to be able to start my generator and get the coffee going without leaving bed.

We bought a new 2800bh in August. For my own information I hooked up my Champion 2000w inverter to see what it could do. It ran the microwave without a problem and, to my surprise, it started the 15k btu Coleman AC without issue. It ran and produced cold air for about 5 minutes before it kicked the breaker on the generator. I didn't play with it after that but I'm guessing that with some energy conservation I may(?) be able to run the AC with the 2000w inverter. On the other hand, I have a 4 year old Westinghouse 2000w inverter that won't even run the microwave.

We've only had it out once and the 3100 inverter ran everything without issue.
    Norb
    Upstate NY
    2020 Imagine 2800BH
    2013 Keystone Bullet 23BHS
    2015 Sportcraft AR-ONE 25BH

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast