User Tag List

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

generator question

Greeting my fellow GD'ers. We are thinking of doing some dry camping and are thinking about a generator. I know nothing about them-help. How much generator should we look at? We have a 2500 RL and would like to keep the lights and TV on. We use a small space heater in the evenings. And far most importantly, my wifes hair dryer is used every single morning. Any input would be appreciated
    Bogey Boy
    Reno NV

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've got a 3500 watt that can power our 337RLS. A couple of things to keep in mind. You'll definitely want an inverter type of generator since you'll be running electronics. Another issue is sound. Cheaper units generally create a whole lot more racket. Another issue is weight. My 3500 watt unit weights in around 75lbs. It's kind of a pain to put into the back of my truck, especially lifting it over my 5th wheel hitch. I know both Honda and Yamaha have 2200 watt units that can be chained together to effectively provide over 4000 watts of power. With the dual unit setup it's much easier to move the two unit separately.

I know YouTube has a bunch of videos on generator comparison and they speak about the sound issue.

I'm also guessing your unit is a 30AMP system. If not, you're likely to need a little more power.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    2018 Dodge 3500 DRW
    2019 Reflection 337RLS

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I should also add that I've not run our A/C units. With my 3500 watt unit I should be able to run one, but not a second A/C unit which is being installed this week.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    2018 Dodge 3500 DRW
    2019 Reflection 337RLS

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use 2 Honda 2200i generators. I always link them together but most of the time I run only one. I run both if I use the a/c. They are about 50 pounds each so they are fairly easy to move around. I did install remote a shut off on each of them so I can turn them off from the comfort of my bed.
    2019 2800bh
    2018 Silverado 1500

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a Honda 2000, it charges, runs tv, satellite, lights. I have tested my wife’s hair dryer and it does fine.
    It will not run the living room A/C, did run the front A/C in the bedroom.
    Any heatIng element will use up most of the capacity.
    I always make sure the fridge and water heater are only on gas.
    Bob and Cheryl, Puka the doodle
    2018 Ram 2500 Crew,Diesel,4x4
    2016 Reflection 27RL
    2012 Palomino 6.5 camper

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Predator 3500 from Harbor Freight ... carry it on hitch cargo carrier https://www.amazon.com/MaxxHaul-7042...=thedrive09-20 ... runs right on carrier adapter plugs right into camper cord ... runs 1 a/c ... I use gas water heater and when using hair dryer no coffee pot or microwave ... unit is super quiet .... we do not boondock so only time it goes with us is for overnight at rest area or Loves when making long trips .... later Frank
    Frank & Cindy --- S Class Solitude 2930RL-R ---2019 Ram 3500 Cummins 6.7 SRW 4x4 8' bed---Remi & Sage traveling Pomskies ---TST 507 TPMS ... B&W Patriot 18K---3.73 axle ... Predator 3500--Backflip MX4---48 days 2019---51 days camped 2020---***Payload 4394***

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My single Honda 2000 will run the converter, microwave, coffee pot, and hair dryer (but not all at once.) It will not run the A/C.
    When I bought the Honda, Champion was the new kid in the block but many people use them now. I've no experience with Harbor Freight ones
    2019 F-250 Supercab
    2017 Imagine 2650RK

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The size of generator depends on the use you have for the generator. Considering the items you want to use I would not go with less than 2000 watts. The space heater, microwave and hair dryer will need the extra power, more than a 1000 watt would supply. As far as brands, people have named the more popular brands, Honda and Yamaha. I chose to buy a Champion (actually two). Look at the sound output of the generator. That I know of 46 - 48, decibels is at the bottom end of what I have seen. This is important from both the standpoint of your neighbors and yourself. It you plan on using your generators, you will need either two 2000 watt run in parallel or a 3500+ watt. Not sure of your tow vehicle, but make sure you have a place to store 2 - 4 gallons of gas. These things are gas hogs. They also smell bad if you can't get them far enough away from the trailer. Wind direction also plays a role in both smell and sound travel. If you buy one of the cheaper generators make sure that it has an installed spark arrestor. The major brands do have them

I would also suggest getting two batteries if you plan on dry camping more than one night, or you want to run the trailer heater at night. Remember that most campgrounds have time limits on the use of a generator, usually you can not use a generator between the hours of 10pm and 8am, quiet hours. Your space heater won't be usable without the generator during the quiet hours.
    Norm & Karla
    2018 Silverado 2500HD
    Imagine 2150

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bought a Firman P03501 generator, on sale for $300CDN (about $225US) at Lowes. Purpose was to provide a power source for furnace, couple of fridges and a freezer during a power outage. This 3500w, 4500w peak also used for camping. Has 30amp RV shore power plug, to date have had no issues with TV, microwave or any other AC appliance. AC runs fine.

It meets National park service sound levels, according to the sticker on it, it is louder than a friends 2200W inverter. We do not run any other electronics when on the generator.
    Judy & Larry
    Ty and Ali the St Bernard drool machines
    Delta, British Columbia, GWN
    2019 Imagine 2150RB - lovingly christened “IM-A-GENE” towed by Dusty via Andersen 3350.
    2018 F150 SCREW 3.5 EcoBoost Lariat - respectfully christened “Dusty”.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    All small inverter generators are not created equal.

I have run our massive 15,000 BTU roof air using only our little Honda 2200.
    No Easystart installed, although I had purchased one, I never installed it and ended up selling it.
    The hardest it ever worked was in May of 2018 in South Texas with temps in the mid 90's and humidity close to 70%.
    We ran it about 4 hours every day for 3 days while dry camping down by San Antonio.

Here's a video I shot at that time:

https://youtu.be/tt6glPji__I
    Resistance is Not Futile, It's Voltage Divided by Current.