Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bubbled on the Roof

We are looking into upgrading to a brand new 2020 Reflection 337RLS at Tampa Lazydays. After some walk through I noticed some bubbles on the roof. Should I be concerned? Would this be a bigger problem down the road?
    Please see attached photos.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bubbles3.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	96.1 KB 
ID:	24766

Name:	Bubbles2.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	92.0 KB 
ID:	24767

Name:	Bubbles1.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	90.6 KB 
ID:	24768
    2020 Reflection 337RLS

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "We are looking into upgrading to a brand new 2020 Reflection 337RLS at Tampa Lazydays. After some walk through I noticed some bubbles on the roof. Should I be concerned?"

I would be and am concerned on mine. It seems the sheathing under the roof cover was not attached to the rafters or trusses. The sheathing is allowed to move and flex instead of being held rigid. That's what is causing the membrane to lift like that. The bubbles on mine are mid way between the main rafters such as where the A/C and vents are placed. They are also soft to walk on at these seams, there is little to no support under. This again raises my concern as each time I go up to inspect the roof they get more prominent..
    I had my trailer at the dealer, retrieving it last week. While there I bought up the question with the service writer, who did get the body shop foreman to look it over with me. He professed up and down that's how they are and there is nothing wrong. I'm crossing my fingers, I've had enough troubles.
    Last edited by Wicked ace; 02-06-2020 at 04:30 PM.
    2018 F150 XLT 301a, Screw, 4x4, HDPP, Max tow, Andersen Ultimate w/ Curt Double Lock hitch.
    2019 Grand Design Reflection 150 series 260RD.... SOLD!!!!.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=Wicked ace;277402]"We are looking into upgrading to a brand new 2020 Reflection 337RLS at Tampa Lazydays. After some walk through I noticed some bubbles on the roof. Should I be concerned?"

I would be and am concerned on mine. It seems the sheathing under the roof cover was not attached to the rafters or trusses. The sheathing is allowed to move and flex instead of being held rigid. That's what is causing the membrane to lift like that. The bubbles on mine are mid way between the main rafters such as where the A/C and vents are placed. They are also soft to walk on at these seams, there is little to no support under. This again raises my concern as each time I go up to inspect the roof they get more prominent..
    I had my trailer at the dealer, retrieving it last week. While there I bought up the question with the service writer, who did get the body shop foreman to look it over with me. He professed up and down that's how they are and there is nothing wrong. I'm crossing my fingers, I've had enough troubles.[
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC03538.jpg  
    2016 Reflection 303 rls
    Chevrolet 2500 hd,Duramax-Allison

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks like its just trapped air to me, and I personally would not be concerned. That's just me. Others may find that it's an issue. Have you asked the dealer about it? If it is just air they should be able to fix it or assure you in writing that it won't be an issue. Or - email Grand Design about it with the pics.
    Bob (retired) & Vicki
    Scuba Diver
    US ARMY Vet (Go Cav!)
    2019 Reflection 31MB
    2019 Chevy 2500HD LT Crew Cab Gasser

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Having been through GD University, GD Boot Camp Intensive Training, and countless factory rep on-lot trainings, I can tell you that the "sheathing" is stapled and screwed to the trusses. I might consider contacting GD just as a CYOA to create a paper-trail in the event of future issues. You can always get on the Owners Forum and ask Megan, GDRV-Megan.
    Last edited by sbarlag; 02-07-2020 at 09:29 AM.
    Scott M. Barlag
    Burns Harbor, IN

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sbarlag View Post
    Having been through GD University, GD Boot Camp Intensive Training, and countless factory rep on-lot trainings, I can tell you that the "sheathing" is stapled and screwed to the trusses; then the roof membrane is glued. I might consider contacting GD just as a CYOA to create a paper-trail in the event of future issues. You can always get on the Owners Forum and ask Megan, GDRV-Megan.
    Did they show you all that was found in this video in all your university and training?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mEUmZ4-z1Bg
    2018 F150 XLT 301a, Screw, 4x4, HDPP, Max tow, Andersen Ultimate w/ Curt Double Lock hitch.
    2019 Grand Design Reflection 150 series 260RD.... SOLD!!!!.

Mentioned
    230 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wicked ace View Post
    Did they show you all that was found in this video in all your university and training?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mEUmZ4-z1Bg
    That guy is an idiot. Why would you put vinyl trim strips on the top mounted seams? To keep sealant away from the attaching screws? There is absolutely no reason to put a trim strip over the screws on the front or rear. Too cheap, he claims.....how about..to seal the screws?? Idiot.

He may claim to be a professional whatever, but really doesn't know squat. Several statements he makes have no merit except to make a manufacturer look bad.
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2011 RAM 3500 SRW Outdoorsman Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins--TWEAKED!
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I second the post of huntr70. This guy confused butyl putty for the mylar tape GD uses.
    Last edited by sbarlag; 02-07-2020 at 12:22 PM.
    Scott M. Barlag
    Burns Harbor, IN

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the same issue on mine, and I am concerned as well. Mine is muck more extensive than that. It doesn't look like a sheathing problem, but just that the membrane didn't bond right. It is not a problem today, because there is no damage to the membrane, but this will only get worse as the de bonded area gets bigger.

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would not accept that on a brand new unit.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast