User Tag List

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GayeBob View Post
    Thanks for this! So, we bought a new 303RLS that comes with the Furrion bracket mount, so are you saying that you take it off and then just put this system up in its place. I cut and pasted your info to Amazon, and it looks like this comes with a bracket (I am very new to this so forgive my ignorance, lol). BTW my family used to vacation at our cabins (now sold) at Skeleton Lake in the Muskokas...beautiful!
    No dont take off the premounted bracket installed from the factory. There should be purchase options on Amazon to buy one with or without the mounting bracket. You would want the one without. The furrion camera mounts right onto the bracket that is installed as the prewired package from the factory and the wiring plugs directly in. It is a very simple process.
    Doug & Jenny, from Southeast Michigan.
    2020.5 Reflection 311 BHS
    2022 GMC Sierra AT4 3500 SRW, CC, Duramax
    Reese Goose Box

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Folks... I did not see this addressed, so thought I would ask... has anyone used the Furrion doorway camera (same unit as the back camera) on their camper door for security? And if so, does anyone know if there is a Furrion prewired place above the door to connect it, or do you have to do some of your own wiring to get it done? Thx in advance! Does anyone even think a person would need such a security camera?

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Use the Backup Camera for Security Too!

Hello Muskoka,

This is what I did.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210717_144734.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	77.7 KB 
ID:	35480

While attempting to back into my last Colorado camp site, I quickly panicked as children from the neighboring site came running behind the trailer. Because I was on my own this trip, I had to wait for a passerby to assist. That was the moment when I realized the value in a backup camera.

Having read about so many cheap models out there, I did my homework and soon discovered Rear View Safety brand which is used on commercial vehicles and reviewed as a solid alternative. I purchased the wireless model designed to support 4 cameras (4Cam) for a multitude of reasons. Obviously for backup safety, but also for its side camera options, ability to record video for any activated (triggered) camera, and its portability to the trailer!

The next step was to ensure I wired the camera so that it powered and triggered by means of a switch, I could alternate between an independent 12V battery source (in the trailer) and the power from the vehicle while driving.

With this approach, not only do I have the backup view while parking the rig, but I also get active recording while towing - and once camped, I can venture out on daily outings and similar to a home security camera system, I can record the trailer’s surrounding area without draining my primary batteries. I consider this a win!

For those interested in the design specifics, here is the narrative:
    I first customized a new cigarette lighter plug to the monitor cord with a built-in switch. I did this because it was the only way to have a portable monitor and manually trigger the backup camera in order to obtain sound. Like others have said, a backup camera with sound is a marriage saver! Note, the monitor recordings do not include sound.

Here is the plug I used although there many to be found on the iNet:
    https://www.parts-express.com/Cigare...RoCongQAvD_BwE

The next task was to power to the camera. Even though it is advertised as “wireless”, the manufacturer is addressing the signal from the camera to the monitor. The camera still needs power and ground. To accomplish this, I pulled power from two parallel sources and passed it thru a special switch. I fished the wire thru the trailer in such a way cannot be seen. Then, I simply ran power from the trailer’s backup lights AND from my independent battery – which by the way, also provides independent power to the TV so the kid’s night-time movies don’t kill the house batteries! More on that in in another blog.

Here is a link to the switch I chose:
    https://www.digikey.com/en/products/..._DpbfOIsrx4M--

Since I was already wiring up the switch, I also added a cigarette power port to the independent battery. Note, if you do this, be sure to insert an in-line fuse and use heavier wire. In my case, I used 16 AWG wire with an automotive inline fuse of 15 amps – because you never know what may be plugged into it!

Here is a link to the socket I chose:
    https://www.walmart.com/ip/Waterproo...6-150c8df3b728

Both the switch and the cigarette plug are mounted under the seat, it looks like this:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210606_193245.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	99.5 KB 
ID:	35481

With everything wired up and ready to go, I simply unplug the monitor from the trucks cigarette lighter, walk it into the trailer, and plug it into the socket under the seat. Then, because the truck is unhitched in the campground, I simply flip the switch to power the camera from my independent battery located under the dinette seat.
    All in all, the system works very well although I am a little disappointed the monitor does not have an ability to power down display (to save power) while recording - but I guess that is no big deal. In my case, the combined system (monitor and camera) draws .35 Amp.

When towing, I simply plug the monitor into the vehicle’s cigarette plug. When backing up, I simply flip the switch (for sound) – installed on the plug. With this setup, I feel I get the most out of the system.

Hope this helps!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Furrion 7 pin Adapter or Not

Quote Originally Posted by bhop56 View Post
    I have 2020 310GK-R and a 2020 3500 Silverado. Just installed the Furrion 7" Monitor S System Sharkfin (Rear view only). Some notes:
    1. Expensive for sure, but I went for it. I love the 7" size. Can't see using a smaller screen, but is just me. I love seeing behind me 100% of the time AND having my full Console Screen on my truck at same time. Also camera and monitor ave speaker/microphone integrated.
    2. I can add side cameras and door camera later with the new S System (If I wish). My truck came with super surround cameras, so I doubt I'll buy these.
    3. RV came with full camera housing, and a single pre wire female plug.
    4. First synch camera with monitor (done in front seat of truck). Easy step. Synch button on bottom of camera. Push hard! feel the "click"and only hold for 2-3 seconds, ease off.
    5. Install camera (remove 4 tiny screws, remove small plate, hook camera (male plug into female plug) from RV, flip antenna up, secure camera in housing, put 4 tiny screws back in place) Easy step.
    6. Plug 7 pin into truck. Start truck.
    7. See camera come on. If your camera is set at max "up" setting", the green line is 30 ft. from the back of the RV. Yellow line is about 12 feet. At least mine is.
    8. For my GM truck, you'll need to turn your truck lights to "ON" not just Auto due to power width modulation coming from the truck. You can buy a $69.00 "7 pin adapter cable" F2BC001XXBK from Furrion if you want to use Auto for your lights. I'm just using "ON" not Auto now.

Hope this helps. Benny
    Benny - this is an old post of yours however we wanted to know if you actually manually turned on your headlights, instead of purchasing the Furrion adapter, and if so has the power to the camera been sufficient? Thanks!

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cowboychincs View Post
    Hi Folks... I did not see this addressed, so thought I would ask... has anyone used the Furrion doorway camera (same unit as the back camera) on their camper door for security? And if so, does anyone know if there is a Furrion prewired place above the door to connect it, or do you have to do some of your own wiring to get it done? Thx in advance! Does anyone even think a person would need such a security camera?
    Cowboychincs,

Did you ever resolve this question? I'm considering the same door camera addition and would like to know if there is power available for the doorway camera. Thanks.
    2021 Solitude 380FL-R
    Ram 3500 MegaCab SB DRW

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456