User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Momentum 25G Shore power trips

I'm a newbie trailer owner. We just bought a momentum 25G toy hauler. Our first trip out we stayed at a campground with full hook ups. Every time i tried to plug into the electrical outlet the breaker would trip on the 30 amp plug. I even tried to connect with the 110 plug adapter and that outlet tripped. I talked to the camp host and moved sites but still had the same issue. Any suggestions? I'm not sure if i need to turn off all my breakers in the trailer before i hook up so it don't load the circuit as soon as i plug in. I did turn off all the lights and the heater before i plugged in. But i'm sure there is something else running in the background.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Turn off all of them and then turn them on one by one and see what trips the power pole breaker.
    It could be you shore power cord, but more than likely not.
    It could also be a short somewhere after the trailers 30A exterior plug to the converter.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the idea. I will try this next time i am out

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did the campground have gfci outlets? If so, there's a known issue when connecting to shore power with gfci outlets. Basically the trailers are wired with the neutral and ground bonded at the generator transfer switch. This will trip the gfci, however not necessarily a regular breaker.

Under normal circumstances, I always hook up with the air conditioners switched off, electric water heater off, refrigerators off. This should prevent an initial heavy current load when connecting & tripping the 30a breaker.