User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Steve, you and Tami are "doings things right"! Great steps taken already and super planning! Safe Travels. Benny
    RV: 2020 Solitude 310GK - FB Paint, 300W Solar, Onan 5500 Gen, DP Windows, Samsung R-Frig, Splendide Stacked W/D.
    Tow Vehicle: 2020 3500 Silverado, DRW, HC Pkg., D-Max 6.6L Diesel, 10 Spd. Allison Trans.
    Hitch: Andersen 3220 Ult 2 With Safety Chain Package.
    Satellite: Winegard Pathway X2/Wally Rec. RV Tow Camera Rear: Furrion Sharkfin 7" Monitor.
    Autoformer/Surge Protect: Hughes 50 AMP

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Benny:

Thanks for your responses and your and your family's service. Godspeed.

We are looking forward to our 310GK-R and glad to hear the unit does well in the cold weather.

Steve

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven@147 View Post
    Planning is such a big and critical part of going FT. We hope we are doing it right and will not get smacked up side the head by a surprise!
    Steve,
    Your need for planning is obvious, but please don't assume that adequate planning eliminates getting smacked upside the head. You will still have nasty surprises and moments of stupidity. They come with the territory and, for many Fulltimers, contribute to the adventure. If being blindsided by the unexpected is not tolerable in your organized world, perhaps the lifestyle isn't for you. I'm not judging, just giving some observations and food for thought.

In our world, planning is NOT a critical part of going FT. We made the decision and 4 1/2 months later closed on the house and hit the road. We are due to leave our current site tomorrow and I don't know where we're going to go yet. Just pointing out that we all approach the full-time life differently. Wishing you a minimum of surprises!
    Dee and Scott
    "Houseless" since 2012
    2018 Momentum 376th
    2011 Ford F-350 King Ranch Super Duty dually
    1999 Yamaha Venture full-dresser
    Kya the cat

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    DW and I are planning the transition to FT as well. I am a long way from retirement as long as my health holds up (yearly physical in my work). We decided that since my work is mostly or all traveling, we should set things up so she could travel with me.

Reading, reading, reading and planning, planning, planning right now. This has turned out to be a great thread for that.

Like @Always At Home said, long term daily planning is not an option for us; at least not now. It is not unusual for work to dictate a 100 mile move with only a couple hours notice so our focus right now is streamlining the mobilization part while still maintaining the sense of home. That part of it has been particularly challenging and setting up the equipment is key to making that work.

Our first real shakeout run after making the decision to go FT was about 3 1/2 weeks. We moved 21 times and usually planned the next stop while driving. DW, aka Navigator and Mission Commander is getting very good at planning on the fly.

Ok. Enough rambling. Just sharing my story. This forum has been extremely helpful and supportive through this process.

Thanks to all.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome! (a little late) Always At Home. You definately have the right attitude for full timimng. We 3/4 time, several months in FL (there now) , a few at the sticks and bricks to catch up on yearly medical needs and the rest on the road. I much prefer life in the RV over the house.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bhop56 View Post
    Just wanted to do a "newbie" courtesy check in with you all. Been reading your posts for a couple months. Excellent information being provided. My wife and I are currently in "wet" Nashville and headed to hopefully sunny Florida next week. I hope to contribute to the knowledge base of this forum in the near future. Being a newbie, I'm more of a sponge at this point.
    Welcome, with any luck you are on your way south. It was cold here a couple days ago..'bout 60 and about froze !
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the welcome, have been around for awhile but mostly absorbing info. I realized in looking back through this thread that in all the arrangements and planning that have been outlined there hasn't been any mention of the absolute necessityof having a weather alert app on your phone that follows you on your travels. We make ourselves into tornado bait in an RV, as my son gleefully informed me when we hit the road! If the scrolling banner on the TV screen says there's a severe thunderstorm warning for ABC county, do you have any clue if you're in ABC or XYZ?

This might not be as crucial for those who stay in locations for months, but it is for those of us in constant motion. The app I use is Pro Weather Alert. It has a ridiculously long list of watches/warnings/weather statements that the user categorizes according to what kind of notification they want to receive - from only a symbol to a ringtone that never stops until you look at the alert. I know there are many choices for apps, and I hope everyone finds one to fill their needs. Safety first!
    Dee and Scott
    "Houseless" since 2012
    2018 Momentum 376th
    Kya the cat

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Always At Home View Post
    Steve,
    Your need for planning is obvious, but please don't assume that adequate planning eliminates getting smacked upside the head. You will still have nasty surprises and moments of stupidity. They come with the territory and, for many Fulltimers, contribute to the adventure. If being blindsided by the unexpected is not tolerable in your organized world, perhaps the lifestyle isn't for you. I'm not judging, just giving some observations and food for thought.

In our world, planning is NOT a critical part of going FT. We made the decision and 4 1/2 months later closed on the house and hit the road. We are due to leave our current site tomorrow and I don't know where we're going to go yet. Just pointing out that we all approach the full-time life differently. Wishing you a minimum of surprises!
    Well that's the great thing we have learned from couples that have gone FT, it doesn't mean the same thing for everyone. The wife and i have never been whimsical or spur of the moment type of people, at least on big decisions, that is just not who we are. Are we rich, nope, comfortable yes, but that doesn't mean we spend money foolishly just because we failed to plan. Oh hell, we know there are going to be breakdowns, flat tires, and the assorted damage to things, that is too be expected. Our idea of being blind sighted or smacked upside the head would be that we failed to adequately plan for health or vehicle insurance, or inadequate establishment of domicile residence.

As far as traveling in our RV, we would never pull out of a campground with no idea where we were going, or stops along the way. That is just not who we are. Heck with campground reservations taken a year in advance, you better plan visits to big bucket item places well in advance or even some out of the way places.
    As far as Stupidity, I abhor stupidity! I have no sympathy for people who act stupidly. That is not to say I haven't done a stupid thing, like not adequately testing the RV brakes on roll out after the RV dealership repacked the wheel bearings and "failed" to readjust the brakes. I trusted the RV dealership service department to know what they were doing, never again!

In the final analysis, full timing is what one makes of it.
    In our case we can't spur of the month decide to go full time, for various reasons we have to plan for it well in advance.
    Last edited by Steven@147; 02-24-2020 at 10:05 AM.
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wasn't trying to be confrontational, and am sorry if you interpreted my remarks that way. There is no right or wrong way to approach fulltiming. We all bring our unique styles to the process to make it work for our lives, and I hope those differences can be respected even if they aren't fully understood. Wouldn't the world be a boring place if we were all the same?
    Dee and Scott
    "Houseless" since 2012
    2018 Momentum 376th
    Kya the cat

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Always At Home View Post
    I wasn't trying to be confrontational, and am sorry if you interpreted my remarks that way. There is no right or wrong way to approach fulltiming. We all bring our unique styles to the process to make it work for our lives, and I hope those differences can be respected even if they aren't fully understood. Wouldn't the world be a boring place if we were all the same?
    Oh no Always At Home, no offence taken. When I wrote my reply about stupidity I was thinking about some friends of ours who awhile back won the lottery for $14 million. They squandered millions. Ran out and bought a huge expensive MH which both of them only used once a year for 2 weeks to go to Vegas, at where they squandered away thousands. The wife of the couple would fly to Vegas several times a year by herself and spend thousands more. Now they are broke, I have no symphony for them.
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast