User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: F350 6.7

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Carry a spare turbo hose and service it. They are great, but when that hose blows you will be glad you carry a spare.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As has been mentioned 2011-2012 were the ones that had a few issues. I had a 16 SRW that I just traded for a 15 DRW. 15 was the oldest I wanted to look at due to all the updates they made for 15.
    For a really nice list of model years changes and other info check out this link:
    http://www.powerstrokehub.com/6.7-power-stroke.html

http://www.powerstrokehub.com/6.7-mo...r-changes.html

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranchertx View Post
    Carry a spare turbo hose and service it. They are great, but when that hose blows you will be glad you carry a spare.
    I have a 2013 F250 6.7.. On our way back from Maine, six months after we purchased the truck, we heard what sounded like a 12 guage shot gun going off and an immediate lose in power. We limped to an exit and pulled into a mall parking lot. Opened the hood and the turbo hose was gone...nothing! The Ford dealerhship had us back on the road from time of explosion just under four hours. I asked the service writer why they had a turbo hose kit in stock..which they normally would not have. Same thing happened to a Ford last week and he asked the parts guy to order two..lucky for me!!

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The only issue I have ever had is an upper oil pan leak in my 16 and I had a shift sensor in the transmission of the 12 I had go bad it didn't leave me on the road but the shifting was kind of wonky until it was fixed.
    I would recommend to anyone who owns a 6.7 do some research on the CP4 high pressure fuel pump. These are prone to failure and when they fail it is catastrophic as the metal particles are pushed through the fuel system, the repair involves replacing the complete system, injectors, fuel rails, pump, and lines etc. This repair can be done just about anywhere for around 10 grand.
    There is a bypass kit on the market that will prevent the particles from entering the fuel system, I have seen them offered in the $200 to $400 range, some of the cheapest insurance you can buy in my opinion.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Thumper111 View Post
    The only issue I have ever had is an upper oil pan leak in my 16 and I had a shift sensor in the transmission of the 12 I had go bad it didn't leave me on the road but the shifting was kind of wonky until it was fixed.
    I would recommend to anyone who owns a 6.7 do some research on the CP4 high pressure fuel pump. These are prone to failure and when they fail it is catastrophic as the metal particles are pushed through the fuel system, the repair involves replacing the complete system, injectors, fuel rails, pump, and lines etc. This repair can be done just about anywhere for around 10 grand.
    There is a bypass kit on the market that will prevent the particles from entering the fuel system, I have seen them offered in the $200 to $400 range, some of the cheapest insurance you can buy in my opinion.
    Do you have a link to the bypass?

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have over 65,000 miles on my truck and there is no hint of the fuel pump going bad. I have only heard of a couple fuel pump failures so it's not the normal problem. I have been coast to coast traveling and bought fuel all over the place. I see no reason to spend money on something that may or may not fail. I ONLY use Motoprcraft cetane fuel additive. If you read in the manual Ford doesn't recommend using any fuel additive but if it says Motorcraft on the bottle than it's ok to use.
    As for the CAC pipe which is prone top failure which has on many trucks including mine. I replaced it with a kit from Rudy's. There is a welded ring that holds the rubber hose to a elbow and the rubber hose came out from under that ring. Most o0f thre time the heat gets to the plastic parts and they crack. I did however fix mine with a hose clamp from Ford $50. I kept hearing about this hose so I just went and ordered one from Rudy's. I don't want to be towing and have that hose come off.
    I am not sure if the newer trucks have the same problem as the 112/19 MY trucks. As for the fuel pump it may fail but the CAC pipe is prone to fail
    Link to Rudy's kit
    https://rudysdiesel.com/c-1389339-ac...%7Cyear%3D2015

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Blown Turbo Hose

Quote Originally Posted by terryriddle View Post
    I have a 2013 F250 6.7.. On our way back from Maine, six months after we purchased the truck, we heard what sounded like a 12 guage shot gun going off and an immediate lose in power. We limped to an exit and pulled into a mall parking lot. Opened the hood and the turbo hose was gone...nothing! The Ford dealerhship had us back on the road from time of explosion just under four hours. I asked the service writer why they had a turbo hose kit in stock..which they normally would not have. Same thing happened to a Ford last week and he asked the parts guy to order two..lucky for me!!
    I had the exact same issue while pulling my 303RLS down I-40. Heard the big boom and looked out my mirror to see black smoke billowing out of my exhaust! Of course it happened on a Sunday night, so had to get 2 tow trucks, one for my truck and one for the 5er. According to the dealership, this is a common occurrence. My 2012 had about 76,000 miles on it when this happened. Recommend getting a spare and stashing it somewhere.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Thumper111 View Post
    S&S Diesel makes a CP4 bypass kit I had one on my 2011 Ford. https://www.thoroughbreddiesel.com/s...mp-bypass-kit/ The Bone is correct that pump failures are somewhat rare and are typically due to water in the fuel system, accidentally putting gasoline in your truck (avoid BP stations as everything is green - have never understood why they do this) or accidentally putting DEF in the fuel tank. I did have the kit installed on a preventive basis as the repair is extensive and includes replacement of the fuel rail, injectors, pump, etc. $10K is about right according to my mechanic. Lack of lubricity in the diesel fuel causes metal to metal contact of pump components sending metal shavings through the fuel system. I agree it is cheap insurance. As for the turbo hose I did replace the one on my 2011 truck before it gave me trouble.
    The Adams - 2017 Reflection 367BHS, 2019 F-350 6.7L PSD 4x4 CC DRW, B&W hitch on Ford pucks, Air Lift Loadlifter 5000 Ultimate Plus air bags, "Rupert" the Weimaraner.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a 2021 and also looking for TPMS and camera options that work with my Ford, not add on screens. Do you use Ford cameras? Which models, etc...?

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KLR650goldwing View Post
    I've heard that the 6.7 is a very good engine. I've also heard that this engine first appeared in pickups in 2012. And that there were some issues with that engine up until 2016. And since then, all the major problems have been solved. 1. Is all that true? 2. What is the first year pickup with the 6.7 would you buy, that you believe would be problem-free? Any other related comments appreciated.
    @KLR650goldwing I'm on my 4th Superduty. Current is a 2017 F350 CC SB with heavy duty tow package. A great machine. My experience with Superduty has been this. One failed turbo in my 2005 6.0L at 80K, failed FICM at 111K on 6.0L. I have had no other issues with my trucks but then I don't race them, tractor pull with them or do any stupid modifications either. If you buy then buy 2017 up. The one thing I definitely like is the electronic connectivity (Apps, Waze, Satellite radio, my Amazon music via blue tooth, telling my unit to navigate to xxx address and the map just pops up, voice command phone calls) some of these electronic capabilities you do not get with prior 2017 trucks. Do get the ultimate tow camera package, it has to be the most useful tool for us RVers ever. The truck is comfortable for long trips and has allowed me to replace my primary tank with a 55 gallon version and put a gravity fed 41 gallon tank in my truck bed, 1700 mile range not towing, 1000 miles towing. Lastly, the 6.7 is a great motor with plenty of torque and as I previously stated, zero issues (I do change oil every 5K not matter what). Good luck with your choice and safe travels!!
    Last edited by zinman; 02-16-2021 at 10:26 PM. Reason: after thought
    2020 Solitude 372WB
    2017 F350 Superduty 4x4, Heavy Duty Tow Package
    2900 Superglide Hitch, MORryde Rubber Pinbox
    Zinny, Golden Retriever (rescue)
    Belle, Golden Retriever (rescue)

"Life With a Dog is a Gift"

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast