User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Current leak in cold weather “clears up” in warm weather

Like most GD trailers our 310GK leaks about 1/2 amp of current at all times even when nothing is turned on.

When circumstances kept us in cold northern temperatures I found that the “no load” current draw increased significantly to as high as 2.1 amps - four times the typical draw. Being a hardy northerner I resolved to look into the issue when we got to Florida rather than in the -16C temps we had at home.

Well, we’re in Florida now and the problem has “cured” itself, the “no load” draw is back to 1/2 amp. Nevertheless I pulled each of the 15-amp fuses in the fuse panel one at a time while monitoring current draw. The only one that made any difference - it dropped 0.2 amps - was the fuse labeled for the black tank heater. We’ve never turned on the black tank heater, but something in its circuit is drawing a little power even in warm Florida temps.

Anyone have any theories about what draws so much more current in cold temperatures, and why? Thanks in advance.

(For clarity, by “no load” I mean that the 12V system is enabled but nothing we turn on is turned on. Our factory battery “kill” switch has been replaced and properly kills everything - no current draw at all when it’s turned off.)
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It sounds like your tank heater is working by itself. What does it draw when you actually turn it on?
    Jim (& Sharon)
    2015 GD Momentum 385TH - SOLD
    For Sale - 2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat w/ AirLift bags, Titan 65 gal. OEM replacement fuel tank.
    The toy:
    2017 RZR XP 1000 EPS SE

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm guessing there is a damp or wet short to ground. Not enough to trip the fuse though. Maybe up in the insulation. KEN
    Backpacker and tent camper all my life, including BSA as a kid and adult.
    Motorcycle trips across the USA with a tent - 1978 to Present.
    02-10-2005 - 2002 F350 SWD PSD and 2003 Citation 10'8S mostly for Crater Lake Ski Patrol.
    10-29-2015 - 2016 Grand Design 380TH. It's HUGE compared to a camper.
    10-19-2018 - traded truck for a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie CC 4 X 4 Long Box.
    03-16-2019 - Traded Momentum for a New 2018 374TH-R Solitude
    FULL TIME RV'er Nov 2021