User Tag List

Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePearls View Post
    My wife and I had decided on getting a Reflection 337RLS 5th Wheel.

I went to my local for dealer to purchase my tow vehicle.

2020 F350 Diesel SRW 4x4 Crew Cab 8ft box Lariat 18" All Terrain Tires with a GVWR of 12,400lb

They asked what was the weight of the 5th wheel we wanted to tow and I gave them the 14,000lb GVWR of the 337.

They spec'd out the truck on their Ford order tools and told me the truck would not be adequate and that I needed a DRW.

These are the numbers they used.

Occupants Weight 750lb
    Tongue Weight (25% Hitch Factor) 3,500lb
    Hitch Weight 200lb
    Truck Curb Weight 8,000lb
    -------
    Gross Vehicle Weight 12,450lb

We are 50lb over the GVWR by their numbers. They said Ford recommends being 15% Under GVWR.

The dealer says they will sell me the truck but that I will need to sign a waiver saying they advised the truck was not adequate for the proposed trailer.

Based on 337 pin weights I've seen here on this forum, I think 3,500 is a bit high. I've seen one post that says 3,400lb but most are closer to 3,000. I also think 750lb is a bit high for occupants. For the most part, it's just myself & my wife and maybe a cooler. Ocassionally 2 grandchildren.

My thought is to go to another dealer and purchase the truck with no mention of a trailer. Unfortunately, all my wife heard was "unsaf
    I know there are people towing 337's with various sized trucks. Some very undersized. How close to max payload is OK? Does it need to be 15% under?
    I don't see your payload for the Lariat listed (need the # on door sticker) ... with all the options may be under 4000lbs ... that is the # you need to know ..... any 3500/350 will tow it but not all will carry it ... later Frank
    Frank & Cindy --- S Class Solitude 2930RL-R ---2019 Ram 3500 Cummins 6.7 SRW 4x4 8' bed---Remi & Sage traveling Pomskies ---TST 507 TPMS ... B&W Patriot 18K---3.73 axle ... Predator 3500--Backflip MX4---48 days 2019---51 days camped 2020---***Payload 4394***

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Txfivver View Post
    Wow that's a lot of payload for a SRW F350! Ford must have raised the ratings for the 2020 models, makes me really curious to see what my F450 has when it arrives. My '19 dually is rated at 5268 payload, only 750 or so more than that SRW!
    It sure is! To the OP, you're going to be well within sticker ratings, IMHO, with this combination. I think you'll be fine, but, as others have said, a dually will always be "better" for towing big/heavy like this.

What's the 450 going to have? Unless they change the truck class, it's going to continue to be limited by the 14K limit. The 250 and 450 are both "regulation limited" models. The 250 to beat the cost of registering a vehicle over a certain weight rating, it's almost entirely (and can be "entirely" with a tiny bit of work) a 350 with a different door sill sticker that makes it cheaper (a LOT in my state) to register. The 450 is similar, it's at the top of the limit for a class 4 (IIRC) truck. Any higher and they will break into a new class, so, while the vehicle is capable of more, they rate it at 14K to keep it within the regulations. The 350, in many configurations stands alone as being rated "correctly" (to the mechanical limits of the components rather than a regulation they are trying to beat). And honestly, if the 350 DRW has a 14K rating (which I think it does), it's probably also "regulation limited" rather than component limited (probably capable of more than 14K if you look at the ratings for tires/wheels/axles).

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @frank4711 He posted a copy of the window sticker and tire loading sticker above. The payload is 4561 lbs, an excellent number for a SRW one ton truck with a diesel engine. That's only 800lbs less payload than my dually. He should be good to go with that truck.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Mentioned
    230 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Buy a truck somewhere else, buy the 337RLS and move on.

Plenty of payload for that model.
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2011 RAM 3500 SRW Outdoorsman Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins--TWEAKED!
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FT4NOW View Post
    @frank4711 He posted a copy of the window sticker and tire loading sticker above. The payload is 4561 lbs, an excellent number for a SRW one ton truck with a diesel engine. That's only 800lbs less payload than my dually. He should be good to go with that truck.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Thanks ... I missed it ... that is a lot of truck and will be well within his capacities .... all of this "estimating by the dealer is silly" there must be someone on here that has weighted that camper loaded and he can get a better guess .... there is no"rule"about how much "room" you need under your payload ... I just looked at Dealer specs on the 337RLS and you have Plenty of truck ... the ford dealer had to look at wrong 5th wheel I would verify that with them .... the max GVWR on the 337rls is 13995 .... I am a little over the top when it comes to understanding all of these capacities and I would say that truck will have payload to spare .... when it gets right down to it payload is the # you must be under .... if you can carry it you can tow it ..... I did the#'s using 20% pin weight and trailer loaded to max you will be estimated 800-1000 lbs under payload ... always remember you have to good to the Cat Scales and get actual weight of truck unhitched and then hitched to see exactly where you are ..... best of luck ... later Frank
    Frank & Cindy --- S Class Solitude 2930RL-R ---2019 Ram 3500 Cummins 6.7 SRW 4x4 8' bed---Remi & Sage traveling Pomskies ---TST 507 TPMS ... B&W Patriot 18K---3.73 axle ... Predator 3500--Backflip MX4---48 days 2019---51 days camped 2020---***Payload 4394***

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just looked at my weight sheet from last stop on production line and my pin is 18.9% ...the actual weights were within a few pounds of the "Brochure" specs well done Grand Design.. just picked it up Thursday .... it will go up when we load our 1500 lbs of stuff and a little fresh water ... .... my actual pin unloaded is 2194 if I guess 2500 loaded so truck weight loaded 8320+ estimated pin 2500= 10820 - 12300 (truck GVWR) = 1480 lbs available payload Our 5th wheel are similar with mine a little heavier my Rams payload is 4394 (SRW long bed) as I said you will be good to go ..... again just estimates on some numbers and some I already know .... later Frank

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The dealer is phishing for you to sign away your warranty rights in the event of any powertrain-related issue. After all, the real money is made in the service bay, not in the new vehicle sale. Know the math yourself, and ask for the specific configuration's ratings and not with the generic tow guide.

While this may not apply to you and your knowledge, I want to add it for others when considering robust truck purchases. Be sure to know the total cost of ownership by knowing your State registration fees and regulations (for instance PA no longer allows de-rated registration, but we now no longer have to register combination when a heavy recreational trailer is involved). Some States have some spendy burdens assigned to medium duties (450/4500 and 550/5500) trucks that make them very unappealing unless you will use them daily in your business too.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm towing a 2020 337 with a 2019, F250 6.7L Lariat. Actual 337 pin weight from GD build sheet was 2208lbs dry. I experienced some chucking, so I added RideRite bags w/F3 compressor system. Am I over specs: yes. Does it bother me: NO. After adding air bags, truck tows and handles amazing w/12mpg fuel economy. I made this towing decision after 20+ years of towing 20k boats. I'm sure the 'truck weight police" are having a mini stroke right now, but educate yourself and make your own decision. I'm also using an AUH in my 6 3/4' bed with the coupler turned aft, plenty of turning radius and I find that I'm hooked up and leaving the campsite in half the time as people with traditional 5th wheel hitches. Good luck and you won't be disappointed with the 337!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why 15% less than GVWR? If that is the case, then the manufacture should lower their GVWR. The published numbers are THE numbers. Being an engineer myself, I can pretty much tell you that the published numbers already have a MOS (margin of safety) built into what they stated for their capabilities. If you don't install the Washer/Dryer and no generator, you'd probably only add 600-700 pounds to the tongue/hitch weight, that is based on our 310GK CAT Scale weights and how we have it loaded (no W/D and no genny). BTW, we are not full timers, but do end up with several cases of wine in the front closet during our trips to wine country

Reminds me of the movie Office Space about wearing the flair..."You know what, Stan, if you want me to wear 37 pieces of flair, like your pretty boy over there Brian, why don't you make the minimum 37 pieces of flair?" I think this applies to the manufacture published weights and capabilities. Manufacturers don't publish numbers with the expectation that you cannot utilize the truck to its fullest capabilities...

Honestly, I would not sign any release of liability or waiver that the dealer wants, go somewhere else. I'd probably tell them that the brand does not seem up to the job, maybe I will look at RAM or GMC. LOL, I bet they quickly change their tune... It just really bugs me when a dealer can say "They said Ford recommends being 15% Under GVWR." without based of proof or documentation of that claim.
    Last edited by Grand Rocky; 02-08-2020 at 09:52 AM.
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    2021 RAM 3500 MegaCab SWD Diesel 4x4
    SOLD --> 2020 Solitude 310GK

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Clanker24 View Post
    I have never had a dealer ask the weight of the trailer I plan on towing. There 25% pin weight is way too high. The last time I scaled my truck I had 3660 pin and trailer weight 19280. That’s around 19%
    Pin weights as a percent vary from trailer to trailer. Our 337 consistently runs 23% (about 3,100 lbs.).

OP - we started out with a SRW truck. We were about 50 lbs. over the RAWR but under the rating for the tires (the truck had about 3,100 lbs. payload with me and a full tank of fuel). There were a few times I really wished we had dual rear wheels. When we had the chance to trade for the DRW CC LB, we jumped at it - and we're really glad we did.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast