User Tag List

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We're having the same issue with our new 28G. Previous camper, plugged in all the time, same 30A extension cord, gfci outlet, no issue. Plug the 28G in, trips gfci every time whether no breakers on or all of them. Tried new cord, adapters, etc to no prevail. Called GD support and have a ticket # ready for when I take it back to the dealer.

The issue with mine is I'm getting continuity between the neutral and ground at the exterior camper wall plug. Whether the short is on purpose (given wiring requirements of the generator transfer switch) or not is the question. Regardless, a functioning gfci outlet will trip if it sees continuity between the neutral and ground. If you have access to a volt/ohm meter, test if you have a short between the neutral and ground (the 2 o'clock lead & 5 o'clock lead).

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Always use 12ga cord.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Line loss because of 14ga cord and drawing to many amps. Use 12ga or better yet 10ga. Northern Freight or Home Depot.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We encountered a similar problem with our new 21g. After carefully removing the undercover below the water cubby to check the black water valve cable, we had a gfci outlet that wouldn't reset in the bathroom,shutting all the outlets off.After repositioning the cables in the area above the underbelly protector it seemed to be fixed. It seems to me that the cable was shorted in the wall in that area. So it is probably a bare wire chafing on something in the wall. Still under warranty so I will let the dealer repair it when we return home.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mjsti05 View Post
    We're having the same issue with our new 28G. Previous camper, plugged in all the time, same 30A extension cord, gfci outlet, no issue. Plug the 28G in, trips gfci every time whether no breakers on or all of them. Tried new cord, adapters, etc to no prevail. Called GD support and have a ticket # ready for when I take it back to the dealer.

The issue with mine is I'm getting continuity between the neutral and ground at the exterior camper wall plug. Whether the short is on purpose (given wiring requirements of the generator transfer switch) or not is the question. Regardless, a functioning gfci outlet will trip if it sees continuity between the neutral and ground. If you have access to a volt/ohm meter, test if you have a short between the neutral and ground (the 2 o'clock lead & 5 o'clock lead).
    Thanks. Let me know what they say. Same problem here but my email exchange with the factory was honestly insulting. I got a one sentence response saying to plug into a 30 amp circuit with no response after that. GD is supposed to be top quality service but we are off to a bad start with them. I just want an explanation around why it’s wired that way. I’ll post a generic up date to the thread below with what I found from testing yesterday.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quick update since I saw several responses overnight. Thanks everyone for the thoughts. I did some extensive testing yesterday and here is what I found. There is definitely a neutral to ground fault in the trailer. It’s not the cord. And not the size of the circuit or anything like that. I tested every circuit in the panel one by one by disconnecting each neutral since checking the bus won’t isolate the issue. Everything was fine except for the 30 amp feed coming in. So it’s between the plug, the ATS, the generator and the service panel. Given the folks that seem to be having the problem all have generators I am guessing it’s something with how the ATS is set up. I tried to get help by emailing the factory and honestly the guy was pretty rude and hasn’t responded back. I just want to know if it is intentionally wired that was or if I have to take it in for service. Anyone even know where the ATS is located? I couldn’t find it on mine so it must be under the floor.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Happygeo View Post
    Quick update since I saw several responses overnight. Thanks everyone for the thoughts. I did some extensive testing yesterday and here is what I found. There is definitely a neutral to ground fault in the trailer. It’s not the cord. And not the size of the circuit or anything like that. I tested every circuit in the panel one by one by disconnecting each neutral since checking the bus won’t isolate the issue. Everything was fine except for the 30 amp feed coming in. So it’s between the plug, the ATS, the generator and the service panel. Given the folks that seem to be having the problem all have generators I am guessing it’s something with how the ATS is set up. I tried to get help by emailing the factory and honestly the guy was pretty rude and hasn’t responded back. I just want to know if it is intentionally wired that was or if I have to take it in for service. Anyone even know where the ATS is located? I couldn’t find it on mine so it must be under the floor.
    My guess is the connection is intentional, but undesirable for the common case where we use a 15 or 20A circuit for the rig while in storage or when packing. Your rig is designed for a non-GFCI protected 30A outlet. The GFCI protection is in the trailer after the ATS.

A dedicated 30A RV outlet would be the preferred fix, but it would be nice to know if there is an easy workaround.
    John & Kathy
    2014 F250 Lariat FX4 6.2L SBCC
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    SW Indiana

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Something to check..... any continuity between the ground and common when measure on the plug end of the input (50amp) cable? If so I think something is wrong. The ground and neutral are not suppose to be bonded when on shore power.

I've seen other posts on this board and others about screws touching the ground or neutral causing shore power GGIs to trip.

When on generator power (a separate input to the transfer switch) the transfer switch bonds the neutral and ground. So maybe GD wired shore power to the wrong side of the transfer switch? Hate to think that's the case.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by traveldawg View Post
    Something to check..... any continuity between the ground and common when measure on the plug end of the input (50amp) cable? If so I think something is wrong. The ground and neutral are not suppose to be bonded when on shore power.

I've seen other posts on this board and others about screws touching the ground or neutral causing shore power GGIs to trip.

When on generator power (a separate input to the transfer switch) the transfer switch bonds the neutral and ground. So maybe GD wired shore power to the wrong side of the transfer switch? Hate to think that's the case.
    Yeah it shows continuity at the plug on the outside of the trailer and at the point where it inputs to the distribution panel in the camper. It’s definitely a concern. I’ll try and call the dealer again tomorrow and see what they have to see.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We are having the same issue with are brand new 21G. We have only had it a couple months and every time I try and plug in to my GFCI outlets at home the GFCI pops. This happens as others have stated with all breakers in the trailer off. I wanted to wait until I could test it at another location before contacting GD. We just came back from a trip and sure enough GFCI at the camp ground trips every time as well. Everything runs off the generator fine and everything works when plugged into 30amp service as well. So I’m wondering as others have mentioned is this something that was done on purpose by GD or do we all have faulty wiring somewhere in our new rigs?

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast