User Tag List

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Given how common this issue is, my suspicion is the wiring requirements of the generator transfer switch call for bonding of the N & G. Or, we're all unlucky enough to have a short develop during the construction of the rig.

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi. Having been an electrician since before GFCI's were invented, I have a couple of comments/suggestions...

1. A GFCI only monitors current to ensure that the exact same amount of amperage is flowing equally in both the "line" (black) conductor and the "grounded" (white) conductor. If either conductor carries more current than the other (3 milliamps maximum differential) then the GFCI assumes that some of the current is going to "ground" and shuts down the circuit. GFCI's DO NOT provide any overcurrent protection any more than a plain receptacle.

2. A GFCI will trip if anywhere in your RV that has AC power there is a white wire touching a ground wire, usually in a junction box or at a connector. Ground faults can be very intermittent and ridiculously hard to find.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mjsti05 View Post
    Given how common this issue is, my suspicion is the wiring requirements of the generator transfer switch call for bonding of the N & G. Or, we're all unlucky enough to have a short develop during the construction of the rig.
    This is exactly what I am thinking. The common thread here is that in almost every case the issue occurs with campers that have onboard generators. I think they use a bonded neutral so something with that setup between the generator and the transfer switch is the issue I think. I would just love to confirm that theory.

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My 2600rb does it frequently and I do not have a generator. Sometimes it'll go for a 20-30 minutes before tripping the GFCI and sometimes it'll go for hours. My solution to this problem is to install a 30 Amp box at the house and be done with it. That also will allow me to run the ac at the house.

I can't believe everyone reporting this has faulty wiring.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Add another 21g owner to the list with the same issue. I brought the 2020 trailer home from the dealership in December, plugged into my outside GFCI 20A power, and CLICK, the GFCI tripped. Turned off the main breaker in the trailer and tried again... CLICK, it tripped. Went to Home Depot, bought a new GFCI outlet (since mine was pretty old and crusty), installed it, tried again.... CLICK, it tripped. Got irritated, plugged 100' extension cord to 20A standard plug in my shop, and PRESTO, trailer powered up without issue. I plan to install the proper 30A RV receptacle outside near the trailer, which apparently is the "solution". But this really isn't a solution since none of us really KNOW exactly why this is happening in the first place. Sure would be nice to get an official explaination from Grand Design since obviously the issue is their doing, whether by design or by accident.
    Last edited by ErikTheRed; 02-18-2020 at 12:42 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ErikTheRed View Post
    Add another 21g owner to the list with the same issue. I brought the 2020 trailer home from the dealership in December, plugged into my outside GFCI 20A power, and CLICK, the GFCI tripped. Turned off the main breaker in the trailer and tried again... CLICK, it tripped. Went to Home Depot, bought a new GFCI outlet (since mine was pretty old and crusty), installed it, tried again.... CLICK, it tripped. Got irritated, plugged 100' extension cord to 20A standard plug in my shop, and PRESTO, trailer powered up without issue. I plan to install the proper 30A RV receptacle outside near the trailer, which apparently is the "solution". But this really isn't a solution since none of us really KNOW exactly why this is happening in the first place. Sure would be nice to get an official explaination from Grand Design since obviously the issue is their doing, whether by design or by accident.
    I agree that this issue has been very irritating. It should not be a solution to just install a 30A outlet to fix the problem. There have been many other times where I have needed to plug my old rig into a 15 or 20A standard plug. Especially with new construction requiring all outlets to be tied to a GFCI where I live. Anyway just venting some more and I’m glad that I’m not the only one frustrated by this. I will be contacting GD about this.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mpepper23 View Post
    I will be contacting GD about this.
    PLEASE let us know what you find out so we can fix it, if its possible to fix.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi everyone. I am very excited because I found and fixed the issue!!! Basically my assumption was correct and grand design finally sent me a doc that helped. This fix is for anyone with an onboard generator. Basically the generator is neutral bonded to the ground. The rest of the camper is not. The automatic transfer switch which is behind the breaker panel ties all the neutrals together which creates the ground fault. The simple fix from the factory is to separate the neutrals in the transfer switch and tada. Problem solved. I'll try and upload their solution document here.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmmm not sure how to upload a file. I'm still new to forums. Anyways the steps are to get some wago 30 or 50 amp connectors and bond the shore power neutral to the shore power side of the ATS and the generator neutral to the generator ATS neutral. If you are having the problem you will see all 4 neutrals connected together. You are just separating one side from the other. Hope that helps.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Happygeo View Post
    Hmmm not sure how to upload a file. I'm still new to forums. Anyways the steps are to get some wago 30 or 50 amp connectors and bond the shore power neutral to the shore power side of the ATS and the generator neutral to the generator ATS neutral. If you are having the problem you will see all 4 neutrals connected together. You are just separating one side from the other. Hope that helps.
    Thanks for the update.

Usually GD doesn't like their drawings posted online.
    - Gene

Kim & Gene
    2015 Reflection 317RST
    2017 Ram 3500 CC LB 4x2 6.7 CTD AISIN 3.73 DRW Auto Level Rear Air, BD3, Prodigy P3, Aux Tank

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast