User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by butch50 View Post
    But I thought that is what a weight distribution hitch was supposed to do is distribute some of the rear axle weight onto the trailer axles and the front of the truck.
    You are correct, that is the whole point of a WDH. The going number is about 33%, but it varies significantly depending on setup so it isn’t a hard number. The end goal is level truck and trailer.

https://www.etrailer.com/question-88658.html

It’s also on equalizer’s site under their instructions.

Your new setup sounds like you are on the right track. How’d it ride this trip, since you got about 60 miles on the new setup? I’m hoping someone will chime in on how those numbers look - they aren’t bad but I don’t have the experience with that hitch to say if you can do better

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It definitely looks like you got some weight projected rearward. The trailer axles got 220 lbs and the front axle got 20 lbs more than the first time. Since it looks like you haven't added any weight to the trailer, I'd agree that loading it for camping and then evaluating things again is the next step.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	weights.png 
Views:	22 
Size:	43.5 KB 
ID:	25006

I'll admit that I'm confused by the fact that attaching the trailer reduces the load on the front axle yet somehow the front wheel-well is lower than without the trailer. Maybe some more experienced folks can explain that one.
    2017 F-350 CCSB 6.7L
    2021 Micro Minnie 2100BH
    previously - Reflection 28BH, Intech Pursue

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by backtrack2015 View Post

I'll admit that I'm confused by the fact that attaching the trailer reduces the load on the front axle yet somehow the front wheel-well is lower than without the trailer. Maybe some more experienced folks can explain that one.
    I was wondering about that too.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I misread his numbers, using that chart makes it much easier! I thought he added 160lbs to the front. Lol.

It’s very easy to get different measurements for fender height. I ended up taking a level, standing it up placing the straight edge directly over the center of the hub and then I used a sharpie to draw a line on the ground facing portion of the wheel well opening. I made sure to run my tape measure through the exact center of the hub and align the tape with the front side of my sharpie line at all four counters to keep it consistent.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We loaded our 17MKE for some off grid camping this weekend. We carried a full fresh tank and also carried 24 gallons of water in the forward portion of the box. Other significant load factors include a hitch, bike rack, and two plus bikes on the rear of the trailer and two 6-volt batteries on the tongue. We're right at the GVWR of our 2019 Silverado double cab with topper and two sea kayaks on the roof. Our numbers were as follows:
    Truck Only: 3,400 front, 3,060 rear, 6,460 total, 7,000 GVWR.
    With Trailer: 3,400 front, 3,620 rear, 7,020 total, 7,000 GVWR, 5,280 trailer axle, 5,840 trailer total, 560 tongue weight, 5,795 trailer max.
    Load distributed with Blue Ox Sway Pro, 750# bars, set at 6th chain link.
    The extra water puts us slightly over the limits, but this is an unusual situation for occasional dry camping. Towed back with 25 mph gusty crosswinds and there was no sway...very pleased with the performance.

Seasoned Camper more tired since retired's Avatar
    southern Georgia, where gnats rule the world
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Mark View Post
    We loaded our 17MKE for some off grid camping this weekend. We carried a full fresh tank and also carried 24 gallons of water in the forward portion of the box. Other significant load factors include a hitch, bike rack, and two plus bikes on the rear of the trailer and two 6-volt batteries on the tongue. We're right at the GVWR of our 2019 Silverado double cab with topper and two sea kayaks on the roof. Our numbers were as follows:
    With Trailer: 3,400 front, 3,620 rear, 7,020 total, 7,000 GVWR, 5,280 trailer axle, 5,840 trailer total, 560 tongue weight, 5,795 trailer max.
    The extra water puts us slightly over the limits, but this is an unusual situation for occasional dry camping. Towed back with 25 mph gusty crosswinds and there was no sway...very pleased with the performance.
    You might consider upgrading to the 1000# bars for the Blue Ox. We did that for our 2600RB and it made a big difference in handling.
    2020 F-250 XLT SuperCrew 7.3L Blue Ox SwayPro, 2020 Imagine 2600RB,
    1600W Solar w/525AH LiFePO4, Victron 3000W, Road Armor w/wet bolt suspension, VisionWork Camera System, Peplink MAX BR1 Pro 5G Mobile Router,MicroAir EasyStart
    Amateur Radio Call N9XGZ FMCA#489460 Escapees SKP#166379

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Mark View Post
    Thanks for these numbers, this gives me a good idea for what the 22MLE will be when we pick it up. I plan on doing the same on our first trip. fully load her and the truck for boondocking and head straight to the scale. Your tongue weight is really good specially with 2 6Volts. Fully loaded, it only added 80lbs more.
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The hitch, bike rack, and bikes on the trailer help counterbalance the weight of the batteries. I'm sure cranking the weight distribution bars tight also put more weight on the trailer axles. Either way, I like the numbers and the ride!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We are interested in the 17mke plan... but waiting for a dealer to get one in stock.
    You mention hitch for bikes.. does the 17mke come with a hitch In back of trailer or did you add one?

Any other feedback on your rv would be appreciated

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Arniesports60 View Post
    We are interested in the 17mke plan... but waiting for a dealer to get one in stock.
    You mention hitch for bikes.. does the 17mke come with a hitch In back of trailer or did you add one?

Any other feedback on your rv would be appreciated
    We just added a bolt on hitch to the bumper and a 2 bike rack from swagman. Or something like that. Had to put an extension to the rack to clear the spare tire.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast