User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Westlake G Rated

Took posession of a new to me 2018 Momentum 351M. With all the discussion of the Westlake tires being undesirable I was getting things lined up to put some Sailun or similar on it. I thought it had "E" rated tires on it, but i see now that they are "G" rated, so they are the heavier tire. Are these crappy too, like the E's are?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have the G Rated tries on my Solitude and have absolutely no issues. Have about 7000 miles since delivery last March.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ive never had issues with G-rated Westlakes with my current rig or previous. From what I have read on the net, seems the lighter ratings were an issue not the G's but I'm sure you'll locate failures for the G's also.
    2019 Momentum 351M, Disc Brakes, Roadmaster Slipper Springs/shocks
    2018 F-450 Ruby Red
    B&W 25K Hitch
    2015 H-D Road Glide CVO / B&W Biker Bar

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Only about 3000 towing miles on my G Westlakes but no issues whatsoever. I check the pressure several times a day while towing and about once a week when it's in storage. I have never even had to add air to them!
    2019 Solitude 375RES Onan 5500 Splendide W/D Samsung res. fridge
    2020 Ford F450 Platinum dually 6.7L 4:30 gears
    B&W Companion for Ford puck system 20K lbs
    Jeff

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigmo1 View Post
    Took posession of a new to me 2018 Momentum 351M. With all the discussion of the Westlake tires being undesirable I was getting things lined up to put some Sailun or similar on it. I thought it had "E" rated tires on it, but i see now that they are "G" rated, so they are the heavier tire. Are these crappy too, like the E's are?

Same as everyone above. I have the Factory G Rated Westlake tries on my Solitude and have no issues. I have about 12,000 miles and two years on them. I regularly visually check the sidewalls and tread inside and out and have found no issues. I check the pressures before every move and with a TPMS on the road and have seen no issues. I plan to replace them after this year (3 years old) with Sailun's strictly based on age. In any case, keep an eye on any tire you run and stay up on maintenance and pressure.

Almost all issues I have read about with the Westlakes have been the E rated tires. Could be there are a lot more E tires than G tires. Could be the G tires are better built **for their application**. Could be that Grand Design USED to (prior to 2017?) supply E rated tires on Momentum and Solitudes and, in my opinion they were to light (either no margin or overloaded) and this caused a lot of problem.

Chris
    Chris & Karen
    Fort Collins, CO
    2017 F-350 SRW 6.7 Lariat Value CC LB 4x4
    2018 Solitude 310GK - Sold 7/2023

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good info everyone....appreciate it. The tire dates are showing them to be 2 mos. shy of 2 yrs old, so i guess i will watch pressure and run with em for now. I normally do a 4 yr service length on my rv tires, so I will do the same for these with fingers crossed. Sailuns or Endurance when the time comes depending on wallet weight at the time, lol.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    235x80x16 Westlakes on our 377 MBS Solitude...almost 2 yrs old and zero problems. 14 ply G rated with about 6K miles on them.
    2018 Grand Design Solitude 377MBS

2017 Ford F-350 Lariat DRW...FX4...4.10's...White Gold/Caribou with Black interior. Curt Q20 hitch. BakFlip MX4

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    18000 miles and approaching 3 years old on my G rated Westlakes. Check pressure after being stationary for a while and use TPMS before starting and all the time I'm on the road. Almost never get over 65 and usually sit between 60 and 62. No issues at all.
    Gary

2017 Solitude 374TH-R
    2015 Chevy Silverado 3500 Dually
    2010 Honda NT700V
    2014 Sherco

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GaryBro View Post
    18000 miles and approaching 3 years old on my G rated Westlakes. Check pressure after being stationary for a while and use TPMS before starting and all the time I'm on the road. Almost never get over 65 and usually sit between 60 and 62. No issues at all.
    That's a big reminder to everyone. The Westlake G-rated tires are "L" speed rated, so max speed is 75 mph, if memory serves me right. Keeping your speeds respectable, in the mid 60's will help tire longevity.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Where did that info come from? Im treating them that way anyway. Pulled the unloaded 351M home with 65-70 mph average. Arent the speed ratings based on the tire at full capacity load? Say 4050 lbs @ 110 psi per tire, then rated for 75 mph max sustained speed?? I usually pull in the 70-72 mph range depending on highway condition, and even with my stuff in the rv it will not have the tires at or near their rated load capacity....seems confusing

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast