Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Increasing tire/wheel size on imagine xls

Hey guys! New imagine xls 23bhe owner here. Plan I’m doing lots of traveling over the next year... possibly increasing wheel size and adding American made tires after a year or so. Anybody have recommendations for hubs/wheels from the 15-16 inch range. Happy to go old school steel wheels, as long as the rating is high enough. Would love to hear any thoughts.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’m interested in hearing anybody’s replies to this as well as we are buying a XLS 22RBE. Seems like there’s more tire options for 15” than the XLS’s 14”. Thought I read on another post though that there wasn’t enough tire clearance on the XLS’s though. Would like to hear from anybody with experience on this.
    Jason & Jamie
    2016 F150 Lariat Supercrew 4x4, 5.0L, 3.55
    2020 Imagine XLS 22RBE
    The Great PNW!

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The original owner ordered out 5er with 16” wheels rather than 15’s. I replaced the tires with Goodyear. I like that size because you have more options over the smaller 15’s. I also only inflate to 75psi with the extra weight capacity.
    Bob and Cheryl, Puka the doodle
    2018 Ram 2500 Crew,Diesel,4x4
    2016 Reflection 27RL
    2012 Palomino 6.5 camper

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitsman3 View Post
    I’m interested in hearing anybody’s replies to this as well as we are buying a XLS 22RBE. Seems like there’s more tire options for 15” than the XLS’s 14”. Thought I read on another post though that there wasn’t enough tire clearance on the XLS’s though. Would like to hear from anybody with experience on this.
    Same thoughts, specifically if you go to 15 or 16 inch for the XLS, what hub is recommended to go on the axles and what wheel/tire combos have people tried?

On the previous post, what Goodyears did you go with? I know Jayco Bajas are suing some sort of Goodyear AT looking tire but I’m pretty sure it can’t be the wrangler and they look too knobby to be the normal Goodyear trailer tire.

All good stuff!

Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some of the Imagine travel trailers have issues with clearance between the top of the tire(s) and the underside of the slide(s) and trailer. You'll want to consult with Grand Design and make sure that the outside diameter of any tire you consider would not hit the underside of the trailer in full up travel position. This is a good place to calculate and compare the outside diameters of any tires you consider:

https://tiresize.com/

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mine are Goodyear endurance, used by many in this forum. I agree with Rob, check with GD to maintain proper clearance. Good tires are not cheap, I paid $700 out the door. But I wanted the west lakes off before I got a blow out and caused even more $$$
    Bob and Cheryl, Puka the doodle
    2018 Ram 2500 Crew,Diesel,4x4
    2016 Reflection 27RL
    2012 Palomino 6.5 camper

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BreakfastinAmerica View Post
    Mine are Goodyear endurance, used by many in this forum. I agree with Rob, check with GD to maintain proper clearance. Good tires are not cheap, I paid $700 out the door. But I wanted the west lakes off before I got a blow out and caused even more $$$
    Thanks guys, good information in all those posts. Have you ever considered or upgraded your equalizer and shackles? Seems like a good idea for rough roads and longer trips... thoughts or ideas?

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Rob!

Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mudhendriver View Post
    Thanks Rob!
    Forum hint: use "Reply with Quote" if you want to respond to a particular member (as I've done here). That way they'll get a notification.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Also use the search feature here. There have been several excellent threads on up sizing to 16". I am looking too and wanted American made wheels which is tough to find these days. Bolt pattern is 6 on 5 1/2. Be sure to check clearance issues.
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast