User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Massachusetts campground help

We're going to be traveling through Massachusetts mid-late August (2020). We're totally lost as to a place to stop about halfway (around Worcestor or, maybe, Springfield).

Help. Someplace not far off the turnpike, just a one night stop.

2017 Reflection 26RL "Mili"
    2016 Ford F250 Extended Cab Gas Engine "Buck" (the truck)

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by livinthelife View Post
    We're going to be traveling through Massachusetts mid-late August (2020). We're totally lost as to a place to stop about halfway (around Worcestor or, maybe, Springfield).

We were headed to NH last year, and wanted same-one night stop to split the trip in two. Explored several options just off the Mass pike, but it seemed as if each one had some little complaint that made us think twice (one was still rebuilding from a storm, one was too close to heavily trafficked summer attractions, one had a difficult access road and small, cramped sites, on and on...). Anyway, IF you’re moving on from there in a northeastern direction, you might check out Travelers Wood, about 10 miles up I91, in Bernardston. Small, clean campground, run by Leon and Bev. Really inexpensive and they are lovely, hard-working folks.
    As for moving on in the morning, Rt. 2 and 2A east of I91 is perfectly fine to get you to 495. It will allow you to avoid the heavy, crazy, Boston traffic.
    If you’re headed to Boston, or south, please disregard.
    Phone for reservations, tell Bev Bruce and Nancy from last summer told you to call.
    N
    Bruce and Nancy
    2018 Imagine 2150rb
    2011 Silverado 1500 5.3L

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kind of Depends on your route and destination. Boston Minutemen in Littleton just off I495 NW Boston is a convenient if heading to Maine or NH, to close for us to use but has a good reputation.
    2018 Reflection 27RL
    2017 GMC 2500

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tortise View Post
    Kind of Depends on your route and destination. Boston Minutemen in Littleton just off I495 NW Boston is a convenient if heading to Maine or NH, to close for us to use but has a good reputation.
    Another vote for Boston Minuteman. We stayed for a night on our way from NY to Maine & we'd stay at it again.
    2019 F-250 Supercab
    2017 Imagine 2650RK

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We're heading from Maine to California. We're planning on stopping in Augusta, Maine the first night, and then head out on I90 westward (from 495). Unfortunately, we're under a time restraint on that part of our trip and won't able to stop long in any one place, and need to keep moving down the road.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We're heading from Maine to California. We're planning on stopping in Augusta, Maine the first night, and then head out on I90 westward (from 495). Unfortunately, we're under a time restraint on that part of our trip and won't able to stop long in any one place, and need to keep moving down the road.
    In that case I would suggest a stop in upstate NY as most of massachusetts is within 200 miles of Augusta. 200 miles a day is a long time to get to California. Good luck on your travels.
    Dave
    2018 Reflection 27RL
    2017 GMC 2500

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In that case I would suggest a stop in upstate NY as most of massachusetts is within 200 miles of Augusta. 200 miles a day is a long time to get to California. Good luck on your travels.
    Dave
    OK. We typically like to travel 200-225 tops a day. But we have done days of close to 300. We're aware that 200 miles a day will take longer, but that will get us back to California by the date we need to be.

I just did some more calculating, and I think we're going to try to find something more around Springfield, or maybe a bit more west from there.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK. We typically like to travel 200-225 tops a day. But we have done days of close to 300. We're aware that 200 miles a day will take longer, but that will get us back to California by the date we need to be.

I just did some more calculating, and I think we're going to try to find something more around Springfield, or maybe a bit more west from there.
    That would be about right then.Trip Wizard shows a few 3 star and up along that route not to far off the highway. I have no recommendations unfortunately
    2018 Reflection 27RL
    2017 GMC 2500