6.6L V8 Direct Injection with Variable Valve Timing Gas engine
    6-speed, heavy-duty, electronically controlled automatic transmission
    Max Payload (lbs.) 3747 lbs
    Max GVWR (lbs.) 10550 lbs
    Max Conventional Trailering 14500 lbs
    Max 5th Wheel Trailering 16700 lbs
    Max GCWR (lbs.) 24000 lbs
    Max Rear Gross Axle Weight Rating (lbs.) 6600 lbs
    And this is why I wish I had waited one more year.....
    Bob (retired) & Vicki
    Scuba Diver
    US ARMY Vet (Go Cav!)
    2019 Reflection 31MB
    2019 Chevy 2500HD LT Crew Cab Gasser

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lsickler View Post
    So I should be good with the following:

2020 SIERRA 2500 HD
    4WD Double Cab, Standard Bed SLT
    3.73 rear axle ratio
    6.6L V8 Direct Injection with Variable Valve Timing Gas engine
    6-speed, heavy-duty, electronically controlled automatic transmission
    Max Payload (lbs.) 3747 lbs
    Max GVWR (lbs.) 10550 lbs
    Max Conventional Trailering 14500 lbs
    Max 5th Wheel Trailering 16700 lbs
    Max GCWR (lbs.) 24000 lbs
    Max Rear Gross Axle Weight Rating (lbs.) 6600 lbs
    lsickler

When you say Max Payload, did that number come from the door jam yellow sticker or from the web site or brochure. If it came from the web site or brochure then the actual payload could in the range of 2900 to 3300. The yellow sticker will tell you the actual

Mark
    Mark & Cindy, York, PA
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 230RL (White)
    Curt A16 Hitch, Turning Point Swivel Pin Box, set to Swivel, with Curt Wedge
    2019 Ford F250 STX 6.2L with 4.30 Gears, SB CC SRW 4x4, 18" Wheels, 3192 Payload, 15,000 Towing Capacity, Fifth Wheel Prep & Camper Package, Ultimate Trailer Tow Camera, Factory Ordered
    Prev TV: 2016 F150 3.5L Supercab with 6.5' bed, 2167 payload, LT Tires, and Air Lift 5000 air bags set to 15lbs

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice choice. Plenty of truck for that 5er.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Seems like plenty of truck. I lived in CO for a bit but don't recall if registration fees are based on GVW or value or both. If there is not much registration penalty, I'd consider the 3500 SRW. The 2500 casts the same shadow, is just as difficult to park, has most of the same mechanicals, but probably has lower payload and GAWR stickers. You might as well get full access to the truck you're driving. Just a thought.
    2017 F-350 CCSB 6.7L
    2021 Micro Minnie 2100BH
    previously - Reflection 28BH, Intech Pursue

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That GMC sounds like a great choice. Make sure you spec the G80 locking differential and consider moving to 4.10 gears if if think you might buy a bigger camper in a few years.

I’m also a fan of the 2017 and newer F250’s with the 6.2L. The units with the 4.30 gears will probably handle the mountains very well and you could save some cash buying used.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks guys, kind of disappointing that they are selling it as 1/2 ton friendly, but it sounds like it is really not. Out of the different 3/4 ton truck options I like the GMC Sierra 2500 the best but I will go talk to Ford and Dodge tonight.
    Don't make the mistake of buying a half ton to tow one of the 150 series 5th wheels. I had a 1/2 ton RAM for my reflection 150 230rl (400lbs lighter than yours dry weight). Once I was loaded up (and loaded up lightly mind you, no full water tank, no generator in the truck, no extra gear, etc..) I found myself 900lbs over my rear axle rating. I ended up with a 2500 3/4 ton RAM and the difference is night and day.

I understand the part about not wanting to drive the big work truck around town, it's a big truck and I get frustrated trying to park downtown Denver and I find the ride a little stiff. HOWEVER, it's worth it to have the proper payload for the camper, I'm no longer 'white knuckling' it like I did with the 1/2 ton.

The only way a 1/2ton is capable of towing one of these 150 series is if you either have a BASE truck (standard cab, 2x2, entry level trim) OR you have one of the F150s with a heavy duty payload package (and even then my fully loaded payload is greater than an F150 with HDPP can handle, I can reach 2700lbs of payload with the 230RL, my wife and I, full tanks, etc..)

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Everyone,
    So my question is what truck to buy?
    Look at my signature below. I did a LOT of homework both to get a half ton truck that would work and a 5W that I could SAFELY tow with it. Note the HDPP in the description, Heavy Duty Payload Package. The payload in my truck before I add accessories, me, dog, gas, etc is 2461# on the yellow sticker inside the driver door. When I'm loaded and down the road I have an actual pin weight of 1524# +/- on the trailer. Add the stuff I carry in the truck bed and I'm about 200-250# below max payload.
    That Tundra WILL NOT do it. Get your Dad's F250 with the goose neck and an Andersen Ultimate Hitch. If you plan carefully you can do it and do it safely.
    It is unfortunate these RV builders promote their wares like this . Most half ton towables are truly not.
    BTW....This trailer is about as large as I would want to go with my truck.
    Last edited by Wicked ace; 02-15-2020 at 02:52 PM.
    2018 F150 XLT 301a, Screw, 4x4, HDPP, Max tow, Andersen Ultimate w/ Curt Double Lock hitch.
    2019 Grand Design Reflection 150 series 260RD.... SOLD!!!!.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a Ford 2018 F-150 XLT with a 3.5 L turbo is an FX4 towing package. It pull's my 260 RD 150 series reflection just fine. I have not been to Colorado with it so I have not done mountains. But I have done some hills and it will actually accelerate going up hills.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree that most half ton towables are really not half ton towables. In my search for a 5th wheel, I found one that was a good candidate. I think it was a KZ, but I could be wrong. Now I was not looking for one particularly, as I had already purchased the 3/4 ton truck. It just happened to have a layout close to what we were looking for.
    Bob (retired) & Vicki
    Scuba Diver
    US ARMY Vet (Go Cav!)
    2019 Reflection 31MB
    2019 Chevy 2500HD LT Crew Cab Gasser

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wise choice with the TV, also, ask your RV dealer for the VWIS that GDRV put in the 5er. It gives “factory” weights, including pin weight. Any of the 150 series I looked at a couple of years ago had factory pin weights at least 150 pounds over the brochure unit average weights. Add propane, hitch, batteries and the pin will be much more.

BTW, if you move to the 2500, why not get a gooseneck as your Dad already has one? Allows the use of the full box when the 2500 is sitting in the driveway.
    Judy & Larry
    Ty and Ali the St Bernard drool machines
    Delta, British Columbia, GWN
    2019 Imagine 2150RB - lovingly christened “IM-A-GENE” towed by Dusty via Andersen 3350.
    2018 F150 SCREW 3.5 EcoBoost Lariat - respectfully christened “Dusty”.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast