Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Buying Refection 150 Series 260RD - Towing questions

Hey Everyone,

My wife, dad and I are purchasing a new Refection 150 Series to share (260RD). Mostly weekend trips for traveling around Colorado and the surrounding area. My Dad drives a 2017 F250 so no problem there outside of I made him go with a 5th wheel hitch on his flatbed which he did not love as he already has a goose neck. I have a 2012 Tundra (crew cab with short box). Everyone says it wont cutit, although the trailer dry weight is 7306 which is technically in the ballpark and I am inclined to believe this. So my question is what truck to buy? We live in south Denver and I have an office job. My Tundra mostly sits in front of the house unless we get bad weather, go hunting, fishing, skiing, boating or have a kid home from college that takes my car that I use for daily commute). Anyway my point is I don't put huge miles on it (over 4 years I think I put 20k or 30k). I really like the new GMC 1500 Sierra's and if I get the 6.2 with the 3.42 rear end its giving me 12,100 on towing capacity. I think that would be more then enough as the max capacity on the trailer is 10,000 or 10,500. Dad wants me to go with a 2500 but I don't love the idea of driving that around town for significant periods (I test drove a 2500 SLT last night and its a big truck and for around town driving). Also I would prefer the crew cab with the short box as parking etc is easier in town, etc. I drove the crew cab with standard bed last night and I would be fine with it but I just like the 5.5 bed better. I know the 150 Refection Series was made for just this scenario but does anyway pull a 150 series with a 1/2 ton truck with a short box? I would love to hear from some people that have actual experience with it. Thanks everyone I just want to have as much data as possible before pulling the trigger on a new truck.
    Last edited by lsickler; 02-09-2020 at 10:32 AM.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Aside from the tow ratings you really need to look that the trucks payload rating. There's a sticker on the door jamb that states how much cargo and passengers the truck can carry. Thats more important than the tow rating.
    The 260RD has a dry brochure pin weight of 1325 lbs. Of course thats low so figure 1400 for speculation purposes. Now add a 5th hitch @150 lbs, propane @60 lbs, two batteries @90 lbs, gear in the basement and in the bedroom @250 lbs and now you're near 1950 lbs for pin weight.
    You also need to subtract the passenger weights and anything else that may go in the truck like firewood, tools, etc. Again for speculation purposes lets say 400 lbs
    Now you're at 2350 lbs. So your truck needs to be able to carry 2350 lbs which puts you in the 3/4 ton or if you are ordering a truck an F150 with the Heavy Duty Payload option.
    I think your dad is right on this one. You'll be in 3/4 ton territory.
    Too many new buyers get sucked into the 1/2 ton towable propaganda. It's true you could tow the 260RD with many 1/2 tons, you'd just have to do it empty.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Goducks14 pretty much nailed it.

We bought a Jayco 32BHDS and towed it with a Chevrolet 1500 Z71 package. I was constantly telling the DW that she couldn't add stuff to the RV. It towed great until we ran into wind or rain or worst wind and rain. I upgraded to a Chevrolet 2500HD diesel and it towed much better and we could all go in one car instead of two (all the other stuff that DW wanted to carry had to go in hrer car). The problem is not will it tow it, it is will it tow it safely.

The rest of the story is we got rid of the Jayco and got a Grand Design Reflection 311BHS fifth wheel and again the 2500 towed the 5th wheel great. But we quickly were back to the two car trip. So I upgraded to a Chevrolet 3500HD and we might be getting close to the max weight. The DW keeps finding things she has to have for the 5th wheel, which add more weight.

So if you stay with the Tundra you will really have to stay on-top of the weights and may have to become a two car camping family. My suggestion is - if Dad isn't going - use his truck and keep the Tundra at home.

Good luck and remember to be safe in towing.
    Last edited by AustexGP; 02-09-2020 at 01:56 PM.
    Les and Sharon Bevil
    Austin, Tx

Reflection 311BHS purchased March 2017
    Jayco 32BHDS sold March 2017
    2012 Chevrolet 2500HD 6.6 Diesel (until May 2018)
    2015 Chevrolet 3500HD 6.6 Diesel

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think you might be in the 3/4 ton range too. Weight adds up quickly!
    Bob (retired) & Vicki
    Scuba Diver
    US ARMY Vet (Go Cav!)
    2019 Reflection 31MB
    2019 Chevy 2500HD LT Crew Cab Gasser

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks guys, kind of disappointing that they are selling it as 1/2 ton friendly, but it sounds like it is really not. Out of the different 3/4 ton truck options I like the GMC Sierra 2500 the best but I will go talk to Ford and Dodge tonight.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lsickler View Post
    Thanks guys, kind of disappointing that they are selling it as 1/2 ton friendly, but it sounds like it is really not. Out of the different 3/4 ton truck options I like the GMC Sierra 2500 the best but I will go talk to Ford and Dodge tonight.
    yep - they will always tell you that because they want to sell you the unit. There are some that would work, but I had always decided that when we were to go a 5er, it was going to at least be a 3/4 ton. That's what I bought knowing what we were in the market for. Good luck, and the new GMC's are terrific. I want one, but that's going to be at least 3 more years according to DW. I could get one sooner if I want to go camping/live by myself.....
    Bob (retired) & Vicki
    Scuba Diver
    US ARMY Vet (Go Cav!)
    2019 Reflection 31MB
    2019 Chevy 2500HD LT Crew Cab Gasser

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Everyone,

My wife, dad and I are purchasing a new Refection 150 Series to share (260RD). Mostly weekend trips for traveling around Colorado and the surrounding area. My Dad drives a 2017 F250 so no problem there outside of I made him go with a 5th wheel hitch on his flatbed which he did not love as he already has a goose neck. I have a 2012 Tundra (crew cab with short box). Everyone says it wont cutit, although the trailer dry weight is 7306 which is technically in the ballpark and I am inclined to believe this. So my question is what truck to buy? We live in south Denver and I have an office job. My Tundra mostly sits in front of the house unless we get bad weather, go hunting, fishing, skiing, boating or have a kid home from college that takes my car that I use for daily commute). Anyway my point is I don't put huge miles on it (over 4 years I think I put 20k or 30k). I really like the new GMC 1500 Sierra's and if I get the 6.2 with the 3.42 rear end its giving me 12,100 on towing capacity. I think that would be more then enough as the max capacity on the trailer is 10,000 or 10,500. Dad wants me to go with a 2500 but I don't love the idea of driving that around town for significant periods (I test drove a 2500 SLT last night and its a big truck and for around town driving). Also I would prefer the crew cab with the short box as parking etc is easier in town, etc. I drove the crew cab with standard bed last night and I would be fine with it but I just like the 5.5 bed better. I know the 150 Refection Series was made for just this scenario but does anyway pull a 150 series with a 1/2 ton truck with a short box? I would love to hear from some people that have actual experience with it. Thanks everyone I just want to have as much data as possible before pulling the trigger on a new truck.
    lsickler

The first year we had the 230RL with the F150 with a payload of 2167 and we were slightly under (50lbs) all the ratings with the RV, it pulled fine and had no problems climbing hills, but we felt we were too close to the limits and the truck would not last. The 2nd year we upgraded to the F250 and it towed so much better. The ride was much smoother, more stable and it felt like I could drive all day towing the 230RL.

Mark
    Mark & Cindy, York, PA
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 230RL (White)
    Curt A16 Hitch, Turning Point Swivel Pin Box, set to Swivel, with Curt Wedge
    2019 Ford F250 STX 6.2L with 4.30 Gears, SB CC SRW 4x4, 18" Wheels, 3192 Payload, 15,000 Towing Capacity, Fifth Wheel Prep & Camper Package, Ultimate Trailer Tow Camera, Factory Ordered
    Prev TV: 2016 F150 3.5L Supercab with 6.5' bed, 2167 payload, LT Tires, and Air Lift 5000 air bags set to 15lbs

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I added up my truck stuff weights; stuff in the bed that just collects, 4 people, dog, extra fuel, etc. Added in the pin weight for a fully loaded trailer (not listed pin weight) and came up with well over 3000lbs.

So I got a one-ton truck and don't worry about weights, much...
    Rick

2019 Reflection 150 273MK
    2015 Ford F350 CC SB Lariat Powerstroke
    PullRite Superglide

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So I should be good with the following:

2020 SIERRA 2500 HD
    4WD Double Cab, Standard Bed SLT
    3.73 rear axle ratio
    6.6L V8 Direct Injection with Variable Valve Timing Gas engine
    6-speed, heavy-duty, electronically controlled automatic transmission
    Max Payload (lbs.) 3747 lbs
    Max GVWR (lbs.) 10550 lbs
    Max Conventional Trailering 14500 lbs
    Max 5th Wheel Trailering 16700 lbs
    Max GCWR (lbs.) 24000 lbs
    Max Rear Gross Axle Weight Rating (lbs.) 6600 lbs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So I should be good with the following:

2020 SIERRA 2500 HD
    4WD Double Cab, Standard Bed SLT
    3.73 rear axle ratio
    6.6L V8 Direct Injection with Variable Valve Timing Gas engine
    6-speed, heavy-duty, electronically controlled automatic transmission
    Max Payload (lbs.) 3747 lbs
    Max GVWR (lbs.) 10550 lbs
    Max Conventional Trailering 14500 lbs
    Max 5th Wheel Trailering 16700 lbs
    Max GCWR (lbs.) 24000 lbs
    Max Rear Gross Axle Weight Rating (lbs.) 6600 lbs
    That should be more than adequate for the 260RL
    Mark
    Mark & Cindy, York, PA
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 230RL (White)
    Curt A16 Hitch, Turning Point Swivel Pin Box, set to Swivel, with Curt Wedge
    2019 Ford F250 STX 6.2L with 4.30 Gears, SB CC SRW 4x4, 18" Wheels, 3192 Payload, 15,000 Towing Capacity, Fifth Wheel Prep & Camper Package, Ultimate Trailer Tow Camera, Factory Ordered
    Prev TV: 2016 F150 3.5L Supercab with 6.5' bed, 2167 payload, LT Tires, and Air Lift 5000 air bags set to 15lbs

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast