User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert E View Post
    Congrats on the new Rig. DW and I are also looking at upgrading to the 31GK0-R from our current ORV Glacier Peak Platinum F26-CIS. A few questions -

1. Residential fridge, how do you remove and replace the unit if it ever needs replacing? We really like this option over the RV Norcold fridge.
    2. Windows, dual pane or single pane. We plan on staying in the unit f/t for a short period, 2-3 years. Any problems with condensation on single pane coaches?
    3. Slide control switches, the unit we looked at only has 2 slide control switches. Are the two main living area slides controlled by one switch? Sales person couldn't answer our question on this one. We couldn't locate the switch that controls the bedroom slide. Would have thought there would have been 3 slide control switches
    4. Coach has 2 Coleman Mach A/C's, are these the whisper quiet units or do they roar like a jet engine when running?
    5. Is there the ability to install a ceiling fan as a factory option? No worries if not, just curious.
    6. Is the electric fireplace sufficient on those cooler days? How low in the temp range do you go before running the propane heater?
    7. Is it worth the add'l cost to install the heat pump on the main A/C unit?
    8. Solar prep, are these coaches solar prepped from the factory or is that an option? I see that there is a port for a portable panel next to the front storage bay.

thanks
    I can get some of these. Yes we do get condensation with single panes when cold. I’ve found leaving a vent opened a little helps a lot. If full timing I would consider running a dehumidifier. If I had a do over I would order dual pane.
    The main slides are hydraulic, controlled by one switch. There are cut off valves in the curb side propane bay that will shut off the pressure if you need to operate them one at a time. Switch two is for the bed slide.
    The ac units are louder than whisper units, but are much quieter than the older nonducted. Since they are ducted together we run the living area one at night.
    Never seen a Solitude with a ceiling fan and haven’t seen one offered.
    We use the fireplace and a small floor heater in the bedroom unless it drops into the low 30’s.
    Good luck, Charlie
    Vickie & Charlie
    2019 310GK-R
    2020 RAM Longhorn DRW Cummins /Aisin

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello @Robert E. In general, I think (just my opinion) it is better to start a new thread of your own. Makes it easier to search and keep topic on track. That being said, I will try to answer your questions.

Congrats on the new Rig. DW and I are also looking at upgrading to the 31GK0-R from our current ORV Glacier Peak Platinum F26-CIS. A few questions -

1. Residential fridge, how do you remove and replace the unit if it ever needs replacing? We really like this option over the RV Norcold fridge.
    Same as the RV refrigerator. You remove the refrigerator doors and work it out front door. It is a pain, but doable. A member here has changed their RV unit out and replaced it with a residential unit. Again, try the search function (upper right part of each page) for more information.

2. Windows, dual pane or single pane. We plan on staying in the unit f/t for a short period, 2-3 years. Any problems with condensation on single pane coaches?
    Again, lots of information (and varying results) using the search feature. We camp in the spring, summer and fall and have had very little (but some) condensation on our single pane windows. Cooking is usually the worst offender. Open a window in the rear of the trailer and turn on the kitchen fan to remove the moisture works for us. Note: On some Solitudes (like our 2018) the range hood just recirculates the air inside. You need to remove the moisture outside. we use the ceiling fan. On some (newer?) units the range hood does vent outside and would work fine for removing moisture.

3. Slide control switches, the unit we looked at only has 2 slide control switches. Are the two main living area slides controlled by one switch? Sales person couldn't answer our question on this one. We couldn't locate the switch that controls the bedroom slide. Would have thought there would have been 3 slide control switches
    Yes and no. Both main slides are controlled by a single electrical switch. However, there are two isolator valves, one for each main slide, in the passenger side propane compartment. They are black and up high so you have to look for them. They are not marked. They are a mechanical multi-turn valve. Full counterclockwise (normal position) is open and allows the normal operation of both slides. Fully clockwise is closed and locks the slide in the current position (open, closed or in between).

The second slide switch is for the bedroom slide. It is a schwintek (sp?) and take a second to start/stop. When you are running the bedroom slide in or out hold the button down for a few seconds (2 or 3) after the slide stops. This keeps the two drive motors synchronized.

4. Coach has 2 Coleman Mach A/C's, are these the whisper quiet units or do they roar like a jet engine when running?
    The units in our trailer are fairly quiet, but you do know they are running. We can easily hold a conversation with them on. Both of our units had "rattles (that the dealer could not duplicate - yea, right). I spent about an hour (over a few days) tightening bolts and selectively applying tape to eliminating the rattle. Very minor issue, but rattles both me.

5. Is there the ability to install a ceiling fan as a factory option? No worries if not, just curious.
    No factory option that I am aware of.

6. Is the electric fireplace sufficient on those cooler days? How low in the temp range do you go before running the propane heater?
    "Sufficient" is very dependent on the person and the temperature. For us it works well down to about mid-upper 40's outside. I like it cold. DW, not so much. I usually run the fireplace at night and then turn the furnace on when we get up in the morning for a couple of cycles to warm up the trailer. Below mid-40 it will not keep up. The fireplace and furnace can be used together. I set the furnace a few degrees colder then the fireplace and that works well. Be aware that the fireplace does NOT warm the basement nor underbelly of the trailer. If you are in freezing temps, you should run the furnace to keep from freezing the water pipes. If the day temps are well above freezing, it takes a while (days) to get anywhere near freezing the pipes. But if the nights are really cold (well below freezing), there are some areas (the low point drains, etc.) that can freeze. Again, it all depends.

7. Is it worth the add'l cost to install the heat pump on the main A/C unit?
    I cannot comment.

8. Solar prep, are these coaches solar prepped from the factory or is that an option? I see that there is a port for a portable panel next to the front storage bay.
    The little port on the front is just a connector. It is low current (10 amps?) and often the wire to the battery are not connected.
    As I understand it (from information here on the forums) Grand Design is now offering a solar power package. Including a 300W(?) roof panel, inverter/charger and wiring from the factory. Again, the search function is your friend (I searched "Solar Option" and came up with multiple hits including this one.).

thanks
    Hope this helps. Again, welcome, this is great place with lots of good people and information. Keep the questions coming.

Chris
    Last edited by CoChris; 02-14-2020 at 11:32 PM.
    Chris & Karen
    Fort Collins, CO
    2017 F-350 SRW 6.7 Lariat Value CC LB 4x4
    2018 Solitude 310GK - Sold 7/2023

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi RobertE:

We have only spent a couple of nights in our rig while at the dealers for checkout (found an issue that required ordering a new part).
    Our plan is to FT also, including some sub freezing periods.

Looks like Charlie and Chris have answered your questions better than we could. Thank you!!!

1) fridge - we haven't done this, but a tape measure suggests that "out the door" is tight, but possible.
    2) windows - we have dual pane. We found this unit on the lot, so didn't choose which factory upgrades it came with. Cannot say yet on condensation.
    3) Slide controls - yup, switch one controls the two main slides. Switch 2 is the BR. i didn't think to run them independently during our PDI/checkout.
    4) AC units in are quieter than the ones in the RVs we rented, but still noticeable. Not heat pumps.
    5) We do not have a ceiling fan - not sure if it's possible to add one.
    6) In our test of this unit (40s), as well as the units we have rented the electric fireplace was good to the upper 40s or so, depending on winds and all the factors. We also experimented with one of those small portable ceramic space heaters too. In the rented units, when the temps went below significantly freezing we were advised to run the furnace to heat the basement so the water lines down there didn't freeze. Our unit had heat pads for the tanks but not sure how well the water lines will do without the furnace.
    7) Our unit did not come with heat pumps (unit was on the lot). We will look at that upgrade when/if we need to replace the AC units in the future. (not sure if this would require difficult wiring/control changes).
    8) Our unit came with a "solar prep", but as noted I believe it's limited. The info we had, and discussed with the dealer was that it was more intended to use a portable solar panel, not a full roof setup.

As for searching this forum.... I find that a challenge too. Of course I'm new to RVing, new to Grand Design, and new to forums. So A LOT to learn!

Best of fun on your adventures!

Steve

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Heat pump is a waste of big money
    Heat pump is useless under something like 40 degrees
    It's nothing like a heat pump in a house
    I don't like to run the furnace at night. I have a little room heater for the bedroom at night. Keeps it nice and toasty. I dont camp in 32 degree weather though. I have gotten condensation on the inside of the windows. All you need to do is run the A/C for a bit and it will take the moisture out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My wife and I are new to the forum as well this is our first 5th wheel. We went with the Solitude 310 as well. Love it. It’s the perfect size for the two of us. I did go with the Ram 3500 DRW Limited with an 8’ box. Love the new torque level Ram has. Don’t even know the trailers there. I did have a few minor issues with the trailer but being this is my 4 trailer (1st 5th wheel) I was able to look after most of the issues myself. Warranty would send me the parts and I’d do the rest.
    Love the trailer. Love the truck. Enjoy.
    Stan & Cherie
    Edmonton AB, Canada
    2019 Dodge Dually Limited
    Solitude 310GK

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by swmurray View Post
    Hi:

Us:
    We were long-time tent campers who have "aged" out of sleeping on the ground. After retiring we have become better birders and found a passion for volunteering at NWRs and other natural places. We bought the rig after trying out several sizes and styles of RVs while traveling and volunteering at sites. We felt this was an appropriate size for the two of us and not too big get into some places.

So we can "sort-of" do this - but we are definitely newbies!

Rig:
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R with a build date of April 2019.
    The rig appears "stock", but we had the dealer add a generator prep package. We found an issue with the propane furnace during our testing at the dealer (pantry floor got so hot it melted the end of a sweep broom's bristles) so it's awaiting parts. Due in the next week or two.

We are looking forward to "moving in" as it seems to fit our size need after trying both smaller and larger rigs. We love the amount of natural light.

Tow Vehicle:
    2020 GMC 3500 DRW, with 8' bed. Added a 20K BW Companion hitch.
    My payload estimates were on the bubble for SRW, so worried about stability on the road. This DRW showed up and DW liked the ride on the DRW better than the SRW! Now all WE need to do is get comfortable with turns and back-ins!

Forum:
    I'm looking forward to all the help from experienced forum members as we learn about the rig and ways to help make it our "home". Please be kind - we are RV newbies! (also forum newbies, but DW know Facebook.)

Hopefully, as we gain experience, we can help others in the future.

Thanks!
    swmurray
    Welcome, There is getting to be more of us Texan's on here day by day. You know, ages ago we actually had one of those little Montgomery Wards fold out tent camper. Now we have a palace.

Go out and make memories, but just in case we all are here for you.
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Bone View Post
    Heat pump is a waste of big money
    Heat pump is useless under something like 40 degrees
    It's nothing like a heat pump in a house
    I don't like to run the furnace at night. I have a little room heater for the bedroom at night. Keeps it nice and toasty. I dont camp in 32 degree weather though. I have gotten condensation on the inside of the windows. All you need to do is run the A/C for a bit and it will take the moisture out.
    Do you have the heat pump in a current Solitude, and have you tried it in a variety of weather?

We do and our only complaint is it needs a little TLC so it can run in reverse just as quietly as it does for cooling. The heat pump combined with the fireplace have meant that we've run our furnace very, very little in temps down into the 30's. We had one night where I could hear the thermostat automatically ask the furnace to kick in and assist the heat pump. I went ahead and changed over to furnace-only mode to keep things simple (and let the furnace burn in a little).

I have also used the heat pump when docked at home to keep items in the interior from freezing while outside temperatures were in the 20's. I only asked the system to keep the interior up to 45, and it didn't have any problem doing so.

We found our unit on the lot with the heat pump already there, and we've been glad of it.

Best regards,
    Chris
    2020 Solitude 310GK FBP
    2019 Ford F350 SRW CCSB AUH
    Former Rig - 2013 North Trail FBS22
    2013 Expedition EL

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12