User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Strange but true, TV reception

I have a 2020 337 Reflection with a Winegard Air 360. Close to cities with strong TV signals it works good. In the middle of no where the stations are many times pixelated. I have found that if I put the main awning out about two feet the TV reception many times improves. Since I noticed this we have moved several times and putting the awning out frequently improves reception. Not every time in every campground but many times reception is improved. If I put the awning back in the TV will again be pixelated. Also arond two feet is the spot where it is best. The antenna is close to the edged of the trailer and right above the awning so the only thing I can think of is the TV signal is bouncing off the awning. Strange but true.

These antennas are non-directional as I understand it but in our current campground reception is better on one side of the campground than the other. Only difference is the trailer is turned 180 degrees. We are in New Mexico, no trees no obstructions, just plenty of wind.
    2020 Reflection 337RLS
    2020 F350 DRW, 6.7 diesel

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by J&J___ View Post
    I have a 2020 337 Reflection with a Winegard Air 360. Close to cities with strong TV signals it works good. In the middle of no where the stations are many times pixelated. I have found that if I put the main awning out about two feet the TV reception many times improves. Since I noticed this we have moved several times and putting the awning out frequently improves reception. Not every time in every campground but many times reception is improved. If I put the awning back in the TV will again be pixelated. Also arond two feet is the spot where it is best. The antenna is close to the edged of the trailer and right above the awning so the only thing I can think of is the TV signal is bouncing off the awning. Strange but true.

These antennas are non-directional as I understand it but in our current campground reception is better on one side of the campground than the other. Only difference is the trailer is turned 180 degrees. We are in New Mexico, no trees no obstructions, just plenty of wind.
    I have read that some people have Experienced that the air conditioner can block the signal on occasion.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WhittleBurner View Post
    I have read that some people have Experienced that the air conditioner can block the signal on occasion.
    Thanks for the reply. No front air conditioner.
    2020 Reflection 337RLS

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had a similar issue with my reception when I turned on the led lights the TV would freeze. What I did to fix it was turn my antenna 90 degrees and re-scan. It gave me different channel numbers but it stopped freezing when turning on led lights.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by treynolds51 View Post
    I had a similar issue with my reception when I turned on the led lights the TV would freeze. What I did to fix it was turn my antenna 90 degrees and re-scan. It gave me different channel numbers but it stopped freezing when turning on led lights.
    If you install a clamp on ferrite bead on both TV coax lead and power cable of TV set this WILL decouple the RFI that is being generated by the LED light fixture.. some fixtures use check voltage regulator circuit that emits RFI...

Very low cost, simple, and permanent fix for this issue.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by treynolds51 View Post
    If I could only turn the antenna. The Winegard Air 360 is a unidirectional fixed antenna with no way to raise lower or turn it. My old trailer had a bat wing that I could turn to sometimes get a better signal. On the bright side I don’t have to remember to put this antenna down since it never goes up.
    2020 Reflection 337RLS

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Someone else posted that you could clamp a ferrite bead to both the antenna cable and power cable behind your TV and it would reduce the RFI (radio frequency interference). Haven't tried it yet you can get them at an electronic store.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd looked at some of the noise that the bathroom vent fan put out. A couple of people had some issues with TV interference from the fan.
    Putting a snap on ferrite bead on the fan motor's +12V lead showed some effect.
    Surprising amount of noise signals in a small RV.

Had some picts of scope & scope with FFT.

RV Fuse Panel - No Fans, Lights nd Fuse Panel with Ceiling Lights On.

RV Fuse Panel - Lights, Kitchen Maxxfan, Bathroom Fan and scope at Bathroom Fan Motor.

These picts were out of the RV with a frig fan and oem bathroom vent fan.

Frig Brushless Fan + OEM Vent Fan Motor

Frig Fan w/o Ferrite Bead.

Frig fan with Ferrite Bead
    - Gene

Kim & Gene
    2015 Reflection 317RST
    2017 Ram 3500 CC LB 4x2 6.7 CTD AISIN 3.73 DRW Auto Level Rear Air, BD3, Prodigy P3, Aux Tank

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by J&J___ View Post

My guess would be that the bar on the awning is either blocking signals when in or acting as a reflector when out.
    John & Kathy
    2014 F250 Lariat FX4 6.2L SBCC
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    SW Indiana

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought that pixelation of the TV when the bathroom fan was running was normal The bathroom fan in my old trailer also pixelated the TV. I will look for ferrite beads next time I am near civilization or can get an Amazon order.
    2020 Reflection 337RLS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast