Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Big Horn Mountains, Wyoming

Back when I was in grad school, my dear wife and I managed to get some relief from the pressure of constant study and work by camping (tent, almost always) in the West. One of our favorite places was the Big Horns, in Wyoming. Whenever we could, we would stop at a little pull-off the old Alt-14 on the west side of the mountains (partly down), at a place named Five Springs Falls, where, if the weather was good, and it almost always was, you could see the Beartooths in the distance, on the edge of Yellowstone. No mosquitoes. Just a plastic sheet on the ground and the stars over our heads.

Anyway, we're now retired, and we will be in Colorado for a family reunion this summer, but would like to make an extended trip with our 2014 Solitude. So we're considering checking out what the Big Horns might offer, dry camping for a few days at least. I've looked at the US Forest Service list of campgrounds in the Big Horns, and it's really difficult to tell merely from the list—and without having driven the specific roads—which campgrounds might be possible with a trailer the size of the Solitude. So I'd welcome any advice/recommendations esp. of people who've had experience there. Some campgrounds seem to be reservable (in the Forest Service system), others not, so a notion of how busy things would be in early August (high season, I know!) would be helpful, too.

And: does anyone know if the old Alt-14 remains driveable? It was replaced with a new road 20 or 30 years ago; and I certainly don't want to take the 5er down that road! But it might be fun with the F-350!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Alt 14 (14A) is drivable solo. I would not recommend it with a trailer. Part of the grad is 10% with hairpin turns. You could touch the rear of the trailer as you go around While there check out the wild mustangs in the Pryor Mountain area. These are direct descendants from the Spanish (Cortez). Also the KOA in Greybull is a good place to stay and make day trips from. BTW I went over US 16 from buffalo going west and pulled the Powder River Pass (9,666) okay. Have fun
    Lyle & Judy and Annie the Westie
    Retired (Government employee/USMC/USAFR, Ret) & Retired (insurance industry)
    2018 F-350 CC LB DRW 4X4 6.7 (3.55)(Reese 18k "puck system")
    2018 Solitude 310GK (5500 Onan Genset)
    2020 F-150 SCSB XLT 2.7L 10 speed

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks much, Lyle.

Yeah, I'd never tow down A14 on the west side; been down that in a car or van many times, and it's fun that way but not fun hauling a 5er! Thanks for the info on Greybull and US 16!

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimibooks View Post
    Thanks much, Lyle.

Yeah, I'd never tow down A14 on the west side; been down that in a car or van many times, and it's fun that way but not fun hauling a 5er! Thanks for the info on Greybull and US 16!
    Its on our bucket list to visit the area once we go full time. Been all over the country thru the years but the extreme north/central/western states, DKs,MT, WY, ID. Have been reading up on the area, my take aways in preparing, beautiful country, fuel stations can be few and far between, plan early for camp ground accommodations, carry some extra supplies with you.
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Drove 14 a few years ago, and while there were many 15mph hairpins, and some long brake heating 6-7% grades, it was very do-able. I heeded BIG warnings about not taking 14-A, though.
    Campgrounds there tend to be small, and spots can be tight to get in to. There is a lot of area for boondocking, which was well occupied. Looks like a lot of "locals" use it for their permanent summer camp, despite whatever rules there are for length of stay.
    But I do really love the area!
    2017 Imagine 2670MK
    2012 F-150 SCrew, Eco, 4x4 6.5 box
    Max. Tow, HD Payload, Airbags, ProPride hitch
    (Previous: Jayco 26.5RLS Fifth, Revolution Pinbox)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Say hello to Walt Longmire.