User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Towing 2018 375RES with 2019 SRW F350

Hello all,

I've been reading several forums and searching the net to see if my truck is able to safely pull my trailer. This weekend I weighed my truck and trailer together and then just the truck. Please see the attached photos of the weights and also the sticker from my truck. The trailer is pretty much empty I haven't put anything in it yet.

Can someone explain if I"m within the safe range for my truck. I don't really want to get a dually at this time if I don't have to.

I have a 2018 375 RES and the tow vehicle is a 2019 F350 SRW 4x4

Thanks

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Truck and Trailer.JPG 
Views:	32 
Size:	19.1 KB 
ID:	24788

Name:	Truck.JPG 
Views:	257 
Size:	17.0 KB 
ID:	24789

Name:	Truck Sticker.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	98.9 KB 
ID:	24790
    Steve & Debra
    2020 F350 Platinum crew cab, DRW power stroke Diesel,
    Currently a Demco 21k Hijacker Autoslide hitch
    2018 Solitude 375RES

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ruger9mm View Post
    Hello all,

I've been reading several forums and searching the net to see if my truck is able to safely pull my trailer. This weekend I weighed my truck and trailer together and then just the truck. Please see the attached photos of the weights and also the sticker from my truck. The trailer is pretty much empty I haven't put anything in it yet.

Can someone explain if I"m within the safe range for my truck. I don't really want to get a dually at this time if I don't have to.

I have a 2018 375 RES and the tow vehicle is a 2019 F350 SRW 4x4

Thanks

Name:	Truck and Trailer.JPG 
Views:	32 
Size:	19.1 KB 
ID:	24788

Name:	Truck.JPG 
Views:	257 
Size:	17.0 KB 
ID:	24789

Name:	Truck Sticker.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	98.9 KB 
ID:	24790
    You need to include the yellow "payload" sticker (it will be near the DOT sticker you provided above). That will have the total allowed payload. It is the pin weight (vs. your payload rating) that will get you. The sort answer is "you are not legal". The total weight on the truck with with your empty trailer is 11,820# and your GVWR is 11,500#. You are under both the front and rear axle weight ratings (that is good). Are you "safe"? That is an actively debated topic and only you can decide if you are willing to exceed any of the trucks specs. One thing for certain, your truck and trailer will only get heavier as you load it up. Many people will say to use 20~25% of the listed trailer GVWR as your expected pin weight. Your trailer GVWR is 16,800#, so that is 3,360 to 4,200#. I would expect have around 3,500# payload capacity (listed on your yellow load sticker). Using those numbers you will be at over more likely over your trucks payload rating. You say the trailer is pretty empty, but the scale weights (if I did my math correctly) the trailer weights 15,320# and your pin weight is 3,260#. This is more than 1,000# over Grand designs UVW of 14,200# and 360# over the unloaded pin weight. Do you have a lot of options (dual pane windows, generator, washer/dryer)?

I tow a Solitude 310GK with my F350 SRW (see signature) and the 310GK is the absolute max I would want to tow with this truck (and I watch how/what we load fairly carefully). Personally, I think a Solitude 375RES definitely needs a dually. Again, this is only my opinion.

Chris
    Last edited by CoChris; 02-10-2020 at 12:10 AM.
    Chris & Karen
    Fort Collins, CO
    2017 F-350 SRW 6.7 Lariat Value CC LB 4x4
    2018 Solitude 310GK - Sold 7/2023

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have that same trailer only a 2019 model. My pin weight scales at 3860 pounds and total trailer weight is 16500. I do have the washer/dryer and Onan generator and those weights are loaded with everything except food. Once you get yours stocked for use your pin weight will go up 2-300 pound minimum, the 375 has tons of storage. I agree with Chris, the 375 is an awesome rig but it is a dually trailer.
    2019 Solitude 375RES Onan 5500 Splendide W/D Samsung res. fridge
    2020 Ford F450 Platinum dually 6.7L 4:30 gears
    B&W Companion for Ford puck system 20K lbs
    Jeff

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you coCris and Txfivver for the info.. My trailer has nothing in any of the storage compartments. No washer/Dryer or generator.

I bought the truck first and when we were looking at the trailers I was told my truck will work, I guess I was told wrong.

I thing I will need to be looking at getting a dually.
    Last edited by ruger9mm; 02-10-2020 at 06:31 PM.
    Steve & Debra
    2020 F350 Platinum crew cab, DRW power stroke Diesel,
    Currently a Demco 21k Hijacker Autoslide hitch
    2018 Solitude 375RES

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you coCris and Txfivver for the info.. My trailer has nothing in any of the storage compartments. No washer/Dryer or generator.

I bought the truck first and when we were looking at the trailers I was told my truck will work, I guess I was told wrong.

I thing I will need to be looking at getting a dually.
    Expensive swap but I agree for that trailer and set up you really can’t go wrong with the DRW.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2019 Ram 3500 Laramie Megacab Patriot bus
    2020 Grand Design Reflection 311BHS

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NordicNevs View Post
    Expensive swap but I agree for that trailer and set up you really can’t go wrong with the DRW.

That is so true NordicNevs, its going to be an expensive swap. I believe I will be loosing money on the swap. My SRW only has 11,000 miles. One thing I found out with the 2020 F350 it has a 10 speed transmission. Not sure if that will be a plus or negative.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is so true NordicNevs, its going to be an expensive swap. I believe I will be loosing money on the swap. My SRW only has 11,000 miles. One thing I found out with the 2020 F350 it has a 10 speed transmission. Not sure if that will be a plus or negative.
    I think you’ll be really happy with it all to be honest. Power plus gears is great.

2019 Ram 3500 Laramie Megacab Patriot bus
    2020 Grand Design Reflection 311BHS

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you're going upgrade maybe you should look into a F450, most folks that buy them love them. I feel for you I sold my 2018 F250 diesel with 8,500 miles on it.

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Join the SRW to DRW Club. I agree that a trailer of that weight needs the DRW.

I had no idea the 2019 trucks were so heavy @ 8560 lbs. My old generation F250 diesel crewcab 2x4 only weighs about 7000 lbs.

I understand that Ford's made some really positive changes to the suspension of the 2020 model SuperDuty trucks. They supposedly ride and handle substantially better than the previous models.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Personally I would go with a bigger truck also. The first 2 floor plans in the Solitude line can be tower with a 3/4 ton and bigger truck after that you need a DRW for the rest.
    That trailer weighs 14,000 unloaded and you will most likely add 2,000# of stuff to that number. You also ended up with a pin weight of 3,200 without a load. Check your hitch as well. You may need a bigger hitch.
    This is the reason to get a trailer first and match the truck to the trailer. (Cart before the horse)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast